Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Marching Band moved down on depth chart?

LadderCrew17

If it was something that management cared about, they'd find room for them on the lower level or field level.

I'm sure in offseason management meetings they crunched numbers and decided the band was hurting the bottom line for being lower,,,tells you were the hearts and minds of the management ultimately is. Profit first, winning second. Before someone says it's a business, yes I agree, but winning should come ahead of profits. Winning creates more profit than squeezing every last buck out of every little thing. All you have to do is look at the Packers and Steelers to realize winning creates more profits than squeezing dollars. Winning = growing fanbase = more people buying your stuff = more money. This is how a well run franchise does it. They think beyond the box. The management allows their entrepreneurial qualities to flourish and don't let the technician dominate the whole process. Our management chokes out the entrepreneur in order to let the technician to run the show.

Honestly, I think they getting everyone used to the recording so they can phase out the band. I've heard directly from a band member that they are making it less and less pleasant to be in the band. The entire game day experience hinges on whether or not "it" makes a buck. The band doesn't and is on the way out.

Can you explain a little more about what your friend in the band has been saying about this?

I went to my first Redskin game in 4 years when we played the 49ers. It was my wife's first game. I told her one of the highlights for from back when I had season tickets was when the band marched out on the field and played generic music. Then they'd line up and there is that moment of quiet and then the first note of Hail to the Redskins would begin and the goosebumps rise. It was special and it was ours. So at the 49er game, much to my surprise, no band at the beginning and I was disappointed. Then I figured perhaps they'll show at halftime since there was going to be a ceremony honoring Chris Hanburger and his HOF induction. Again the band was nowhere to be seen. The final insult happened during the game itself, on the big screen they put up some shots of some band from some school sitting and I guess "performing" somewhere in the stadium (I could never find them). I did not see the band, let alone hear them, at all that entire day.

Pathetic game day management going on with this team if phasing out and eliminating the band is what they are up to.

Hey "Minister of Nostalgia" Bruce Allen, we know there isn't much you do other than try to smooth things over with the alumni and talk about the old days, how the **** can you let the Redskins Marching Band disappear like this?

I'm sure in offseason management meetings they crunched numbers and decided the band was hurting the bottom line for being lower' date=',,tells you were the hearts and minds of the management ultimately is. Profit first, winning second. Before someone says it's a business, yes I agree, but winning should come ahead of profits. Winning creates more profit than squeezing every last buck out of every little thing. All you have to do is look at the Packers and Steelers to realize winning creates more profits than squeezing dollars. Winning = growing fanbase = more people buying your stuff = more money. [u']This is how a well run franchise does it.[/u]
Well you know this doesn't apply to us anymore.

In response to the size of a big-time college marching band: around 350

Also, you don't need to pay the band... just being at the game for free is awesome. Maybe with a free meal coupon or something... free lunch or something. A LOT cheaper than paying them. But they do need more in the band, that's for sure...

Also, you don't need to pay the band... just being at the game for free is awesome.

And that notion alone is what fueled band membership for decades. But this is a different time and era we're living in. Its not 1984 anymore when attending a game is a privilege limited to an elite few.

You have to consider the non game time a band needs to be together for practice. The band members have families and careers to tend to. Band practice takes several hours a week.

I'm not sure if the Marching Ravens are paid, or if they're still an all volunteer corp. At least they get the respect of a prominent seating location at M&T Bank Stadium. The band sits in the front rows right behind the endzone where the players tunnels are located.

If this is true, if the Redskins' marching band has been cut out in pursuit of the bottom line, then the team has truly become the "Snyderskins," capping over a decade's worth of crappy performances under Dan Snyders' ownership.

And I am pissed, to the degree that, at this point, I don't want to buy any more tickets while he owns this team. I am sick of it. Just sick of this crap.

Maybe it's just me and my jerking knee, but I am profoundly tired off seeing the same rubbish year in and year out, and I am convinced this team will NEVER get back to the Jack Kent Cooke days while Snyder owns this team. Its heart is being ripped out, as we watch.

I've never been to FedEx Field for a Skins game so help me out.

Does the band do a pre-game show?

Does the band do a halftime show?

Does the band play during the game?

If the answer to all of these is "no' date='" then what does the band do?[/quote']

Pre-game: They used to get on the field before warm-ups and march in formations and play a bunch of songs, culminating in Hail to the Redskins. I'm not sure if they still do. I thought they did but I think someone else hinted that they don't anymore.

Halftime: Same as above:

During: This is where my real gripe is. They used to play a full "Hail to the Redskins" after scores. Now, they play a pre-recorded version that is too slow, and the band really does nothing. They play an occasional tune here and there, but really they're not part of the gameday experience anymore as posters have been saying. It seems that the crowd in singing HTTR is more involved when the words are on the screen (as is the case when the pre-recorded version is played) but why can't they have the band and the words?

There really is no explanation for these changes. If they are phasing out the band, then shame on them. Just indefensible.

I've never been to FedEx Field for a Skins game so help me out.

Does the band do a pre-game show?

Does the band do a halftime show?

Does the band play during the game?

If the answer to all of these is "no' date='" then what does the band do?[/quote']

Yes

Sometimes...depends on what else is scheduled at halftime

Yes

---------- Post added December-12th-2011 at 07:01 PM ----------

My cousin and I have been saying the same thing all year long. The recording is pathetic. Yet another Dan Snyder fail and something to ruin the teams tradition a little more.

Yet the fans sing to the video rendition about 50 times louder than they do when the band plays. And that is all Snyder's fault. He forces each and every one of us to sing to the video version and to ignore when the band plays. Yeah....right.....

Archived