Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Getting NFL Sunday Ticket without Directv

Tarhog

Just thought I'd share with my Geo-Challenged brothers and sisters.

Due to the location of my house and being surrounded by trees on 3 sides, I have never been able to get the Directv satellite signal. That has meant I could not get the traditional NFL Sunday Ticket service. I know lots of Redskins fans have this same dilemma (or may live in an apartment that won't allow satellite dishes).

Directv does offer NFL Sunday Ticket for laptops/pcs/portable devices, but trust me, they do not advertise it, and even if you were to go to the Directv website, you will not find it there. The price for NFL Sunday Ticket Online is steep ($350), but you do not have to have a Directv account or a TV package and you'll get every game and all the NFL Sunday Ticket functionality on your computer.

I did this last year, and it was fantastic - as without it, I'd miss a lot of games and would have no option beyond rooting around for bootleg sources on the web.

If anyone's interested, here's the link:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/nflstonline/overview

That's what it's *intended* for, but this isn't the FBI. They ask you to verify that you can't get the Directv signal, but they have no way of knowing whether that's factual or not. And yeah - if you want to use one of the many 'under the table' options out there, obviously that's one way to go as well.

PS3 will cost $50. for DirecTV subscribers. If you're not a sub, I believe it will be full price. But if you have location issues (line of sight trees, etc) then this would still enable you to get NFL-ST.

I'm hoping that now that technology gives the NFL multiple avenues to offer NFL-ST, that DirecTV is about to lose their exclusive grip on NFL-ST. I've subscribed to DirecTV and NFL-ST since 1995. Used to love 'em. Now, I absolutely HATE DirecTV. They are not (existing) customer friendly any longer. They throw the kitchen sink to new subscribers and give the finger to existing customers (plus a HUGE, ever increasing bill). I understand that they have to keep attracting new subscribers, but it is largely because they have to constantly replace previous subs because they treat them like ****! And when I first subscribed, they were $129. for the season. Now, they're pushing $350.

---------- Post added September-3rd-2011 at 07:31 PM ----------

The online product does not look good from my understanding. 720P at best. From what I have heard the PS3 will be better but both are really dependent on your internet provider.

Of course it's not going to be 1080p. That's a tough feat to pull for (tens of?) thousands of subscribers on the intertoobz. But, if it's is similar quality to what the NFL offered for the Preseason games this year -- including a nifty +0.10/-0.10 FF/REW -- the quality was quite impressive for streaming video. I have an HTPC and it looked very close to HD on my 71" screen.

The online product does not look good from my understanding. 720P at best. From what I have heard the PS3 will be better but both are really dependent on your internet provider.

720P is the best the NFL is broadcast in anyway. CBS and NBC do 1080i but it looks awful compared to Fox and ESPN's 720P because of the jagged look caused by the speed of the game and the interlaced factor.

Nothing broadcast on TV is 1080P.

I dunno what the NFL package will look like, but a buddy had the Center Ice streamed off a PS3, and the pic quality was nice, but the screen never filled the 50" screen.. Maybe 50%, if that, with black bars on all 4 sides.. He was tryin new hdmi cables, etc., and never got it to fill the screen.. FWIW, it was definitely watchable, but no comparrison to a normally broadcast HD game on DTV..

720P is the best the NFL is broadcast in anyway. CBS and NBC do 1080i but it looks awful compared to Fox and ESPN's 720P because of the jagged look caused by the speed of the game and the interlaced factor.

Nothing broadcast on TV is 1080P.

Yes but with the dish or cable the signal strength is consistent. With any streaming product your quality will be dependent on the data stream. IMHO. If you have good download speeds that are consistent I would imagine via the PS3 it will look pretty good.

What I understand that taking the older online stream piped into a decent sized TV was not good. YMMV

I cannot get Directv due to trees, had NFL Sunday Ticket for 10+ years in VA I now live in WV so I have researched this. LOL

I am thinking about doing this. Does anyone who has gotten this before know how good the quality of the streaming is? I would like to get it on my PS3 so I can watch it on my flatscreen, but I don't want the quality to be bad.

I had DTV for 8 years before I switched to Fios last year and I always had streams running on my pc because of fantasy and the streams were perfect but I do have a 1080p monitor and 25MBdl speeds. The Sunday Ticket always included the online service free with the package in previous years and this is the first time I have seen them charge for it so looks like they are trying to nickel and dime like always which is why I got rid of them.

Hey Tarhog, here's something else that might be a option. I used this site for preseason and saw every game for $19.99. You get to watch the preseason games live, but from what I am understanding here with the regular season site, you watch the games after they have been played. I figure it saves people who can't afford it a couple of hundred dollars. https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages

Here's the preseason link. https://preseason.nfl.com/nflpl/secure/packages

Hey Tarhog, here's something else that might be a option. I used this site for preseason and saw every game for $19.99. You get to watch the preseason games live, but from what I am understanding here with the regular season site, you watch the games after they have been played. I figure it saves people who can't afford it a couple of hundred dollars. https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages

Here's the preseason link. https://preseason.nfl.com/nflpl/secure/packages

Yeah, you've got to wait until after SNF to watch Sunday games and 24 hours after MNF to watch it.

It's tempting at $40, but I think I've decided I'm going to spoil the score before I get a chance to watch with it. You'd have to not watch any NFL until 11:30 or so on Sunday.

Enjoyed the preseason package -- my second year -- but that's real time.

I have used the online option for several years, and I've always thought the viewing quality was pretty damn good. I'm not generally bothering trying to hook it up to the TV via HDMI though. Thing is, given the ability to watch every game vs. hoping I can find an internet feed somewhere or that it'll be broadcast locally (something that happens increasingly infrequently in NC now), just having the games available is awesome. Wish I could wait and watch it delayed. I think NFL.com offers that option as well. But not only do I not have the self-discipline for that, running a Redskins website makes that impossible.

Bottom line - this is pricey, but if you love your Redskins football, aren't local, and can't get Directv, it's a God-send.

• 5 weeks later...

Update

I have been using the NFL Sunday Ticket option on my PS3 and it has been running very well. Week one there were some issues but they were working the kinks out, they ended up giving out a refund for that week anyways (plus I ended up going to the bar by 4:15 kickoff). But every week after that it has been very good quality...I just have the basic high speed internet, 15 mbps or whatever it is with Time Warner. So it does have a pause here and there throughout the game, but it's not that bad. I'm sure if I hooked it up through ethernet cord rather than wireless it would be better, but it's not a huge deal. Only other problem is it's about 45 seconds behind the real game on TV, so I will always get a call or text from a friend before the play happens, sometimes having to restrain myself from answering to keep it a surprise.

Overall I have been very pleased though. I really like the option to view stats in-game as well, that is a nice touch. As well as rewinding the game and viewing highlights.

For those who are willing and able to wait to watch the Skins game (and, for that matter, every other game) until after Sunday Night Football is over, the price is apparently now $30 for a delayed internet feed for the rest of the season. (I've done this in past years and the picture quality is pretty good.)

https://gamerewind.nfl.com/nflgr/secure/packages?icampaign=GR_VG_635

Archived