Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I'm looking forward to the GT-UGA game. The teams are more evenly matched than you might think Tris. Not that it'll have much of a baring on conference standings. And losing Stephen Hill early (really didn't expect that during the year) took some wind out of GT's sails. But I could see GT beating them. I'm also excited at the possibility of Synjyn Days winning the starting QB role. The kid is talented, maybe the guy who flashed the biggest potential in limited opportunity from last year's team.

As for B&G Vol's claim that TN has the best group of receivers in the country, I'll respectfully disagree. Just off the top of my head, I'd certainly take Southern Cal's receivers over Tennessee's. Robert Woods and Marqise Lee trump Justin Hunter and DaRick Rogers IMO. I like Hunter because he's a VA Beach guy, but you don't know how he's going to come back from the injury, and he's a potential player more than a proven commodity until he stays healthy and produces for an entire season.

But as a group, I'd take Clemson's receivers over anybodies. I think Watkins is the most dynamic young talent in CFB right now.

I also trust Bray far less than I trust Barkley and Boyd.

---------- Post added May-7th-2012 at 03:19 PM ----------

Also in the breakdown of Georgia, special mention should be given to Crowell. The kid is a special talent.

Robert Woods and Marqise Lee trump Justin Hunter and DaRick Rogers IMO. I like Hunter because he's a VA Beach guy, but you don't know how he's going to come back from the injury, and he's a potential player more than a proven commodity until he stays healthy and produces for an entire season.

I also agree that USC's duo is better than UT's. I personally feel that assuming he's 100%, Hunter will emerge as the single best WR in the country, and challenge Robert Woods as the first WR taken in 2013.

I think Watkins is the most dynamic young talent in CFB right now.

He is certainly special, though its a shame that he has to be limited by the enigma that is Tahj Boyd.

Were he eligible for the draft, I think he would certainly be in the running for first WR off the board.

Last WR comment, Cobi Hamilton might be in line for a massive year as Tyler Wilsons #1. Could see him being an out of no where fridge first round by the time draft season rolls around.

Also in the breakdown of Georgia, special mention should be given to Crowell. The kid is a special talent.

...Who is as of their spring game not starting, as well as getting in fist fights with defensive veterans.

Crowell is a special talent with a ten-cent head and is completely soft.

Besides being behind a RS Freshman right now on the depth chart, Crowell is battling two top five RB recruits for the back up job, with no guarantee he even gets that.

All that being said, despite constantly taking himself out of games for "injuries", garnering a one game suspension, missing another game due to injury, and having a combined 5 carries in two more games against Kentucky and MSU (basically a 10 game season), Crowell was still the 6th leading rusher in the SEC, the SEC freshman of the year, and the AP freshman of the year.

So yeah, the talent is there, and hopefully the maturity will come.

It'll be interesting to see how Landry Jones responds this year.

I think reports of Landry's demise were greatly exaggerated. Landry actually had a fine season last year. He just didn't have a better one than Brandon Weeden or RGIII, which was a problem for Oklahoma fans, but certainly no great stain on his record.

I think Landry is a better prospect than Matt Barkley. He's one of the most appealing senior QBs in years.

Tennessee is going to have a great passign attack, paired with the worst rushing offense in the SEC (by a wide margain) and average defense. Now, a QB with a high ceiling and the best WR in the country do not an SECE champ make.

I'm afraid my tone might have been lost by the shortening of my post that you quoted. I was exaggerating on some areas (mainly UGA) but I do believe we'll win the East. But also note I used the word homer 3 times.

I believe in Murray more than I do the skill players around him. I can't claim to know the backups that will step up on the OL next year so I can't comment on the rushing game, but as far as WR/TE I think you might agree they are certainly far from 'elite' (maybe not). Tavarres King doesn't exactly strike fear into my heart.

I admit your defense will hit you in the mouth it just hurts to put that in writing. That's as much credit as I can give to UGA before I get a stomach ache (jk).

Now, can Richt do that? I don't know. It won't be the least bit surprising to me for a MR team to fail to meet expectations. I think they are going to have their hands full with Mizzou and a depleated secondary. But once they get to full strength, I don't know when they won't be favored for the rest of the season.

This is more along the lines of how I really feel (and I actually like MR).

As for B&G Vol's claim that TN has the best group of receivers in the country, I'll respectfully disagree. Just off the top of my head, I'd certainly take Southern Cal's receivers over Tennessee's. Robert Woods and Marqise Lee trump Justin Hunter and DaRick Rogers IMO......But as a group, I'd take Clemson's receivers over anybodies. I think Watkins is the most dynamic young talent in CFB right now.

Great minds.

Tris didn't quote my whole post, but my actual claim was that UT's WR duo was Top 3, not necessarily the best (though I still think I could argue it lol).

But I specifically mentioned Woods/Lee and Watkins/Hopkins as the 2 duos ahead of them.

I also agree that USC's duo is better than UT's. I personally feel that assuming he's 100%, Hunter will emerge as the single best WR in the country, and challenge Robert Woods as the first WR taken in 2013.

It seemed like you had a pretty good feel/breakdown for UT's current team, but now I know for a fact that you've been watching them play lol. So happy to hear you say that, Tris.

Hunter is hands down my favorite player to watch on the team. Da'rick gets the attention because he is Dooley's prize recruit (don't get me started on that) but Hunter is truly one of the elite talents at WR in the nation. If any of you guys are unfamiliar with Justin Hunter then you're missing out. All the highlights you'll see will probably be from freshman year (knee injury vs FL early Soph. year), but as soon as you put on the tape, you can tell -- this guy's got it.

Edit: Tris, by the way, are you a UGA fan, or GT?

Edit #2: Also, look out for our LT, 'Tiny' Richardson. He's a sophomore, but we kicked our starting LT last year inside to LG to get Tiny on the field. I have a friend that talked to an assistant coach that said this guy will be playing at the next level. Hope he's right.

It'll be interesting to see how Landry Jones responds this year.

He needs to have a very strong year, was not a fan of his game at all last year. He really needs to play well or he'll be a late 1st round pick. If he plays well then he's probably in the top 15 or so

He needs to have a very strong year, was not a fan of his game at all last year. He really needs to play well or he'll be a late 1st round pick. If he plays well then he's probably in the top 15 or so

I think he was good last year. A couple of performances like the FSU game are getting blown out of proportion. Look at all of the good he did last year plus the year before that. He's super accurate, has a good arm, good size, fairly good athlete, been very productive throughout his entire career, and he's been a winner.

Think about it. A "down year" for Landry is him still winning 10 games, throwing over 4,000 yards on 63% completions with almost 30 TDs on a 2:1 TD to INT ratio. That's crazy. If he stays healthy this season, his career production is going to be unheard of by the time he's done.

Personally, I like him over Matt Barkley right now. He's got better NFL tools than Barkley IMO. I do really like Barkley though. Barkley reminds me a lot of Sanchez in college. He seems like he's got tremendous intangibles.

I think both end up going top five.

If anyone takes a step back this year, I think it's Tyler Wilson (although Arkansas is loaded). Losing his head coach is going to hurt, particularly Petrino, who is a quarterback's coach if ever there was one. I don't think he takes a Jevan Snead tumble, but I could see him regressing in his efficiency and his overall level of play.

---------- Post added May-7th-2012 at 07:50 PM ----------

I'd just like to repeat that this offseason, particularly the draft, feels crazy. I don't think it's fully sunk in for me yet. I can't believe we got RGIII. I didn't dare hope we'd draft him until the trade up, but ever since that TCU game, it's been a dream to draft him. I think he's my favorite college QB I've ever watched. I went out and bought last year's NCAA game just to run two dynasty mode seasons with Baylor just because of him.

Beyond that, I can't believe we drafted not one, but TWO quarterbacks that I really liked. After the McNabb trade, after we passed on Gabbert last year and decided Rex ****ing Grossman was our guy, I was desperate. I was desperate for us to draft ANY QB. I could have easily talked myself into a fifth or sixth rounder as the long term solution at that point. I was getting to the point where I assumed we would just never take a QB I actually liked. Then, in one draft, to get two? Not only that, to get three offensive linemen too?

This is the first offseason of the Shanahan era where I've felt pretty good about almost every move he made, staff, trades, FA, UDFA, and in the draft. Everything made sense to me for once. The only things that bothered me at the time were the trade up price (which now seems justified given what Cleveland offered) and not getting more explosive at the offensive skill positions outside of Garcon. I'm fine on both accounts though and am not going to quibble with what we hauled in because the haul was so great and I understand resources are limited and decisions are difficult in real time. At least four or five draft picks were brilliant, outstanding return from any class for any team, and LeRiebus himself has completely sold me on his selection when I was completely skeptical of the value before. The only thing left that I want to see is a Tim Hightower contract.

For me it feels good to be a Redskins fan again.

The Steelers's OL should be scary good in a couple of years. It could go a long way towards extending Ben Roethlisberger's career.

---------- Post added May-8th-2012 at 07:08 AM ----------

I see Pittsburgh and Baltimore filling the power vacuum New England is going to create when their run ends in a few seasons. They're already nearly as good as New England today. But I think both Cincy and Cleveland will be extremely competitive. That division is the best in the NFL. The teams will batter each other and keep any of the others from establishing dynastic success.

I could see San Diego climbing back out of mediocrity in the SEC West. I could see Oakland and Kansas City taking some steps back after Oakland's poor use of the draft and KC's extended period of reaches draining their overall talent level (plus they're in no man's land with Matt Cassel). But I can also see Denver going on a run the next two or three years because of Manning. I could see Rex Ryan flaming out and getting fired once New York's ridiculous expectations become a factor and his act wears thin. He's not cultivated a healthy locker room.

I could see Buffalo taking a step forward in the short term once the defense improves. But I think it's Miami that eventually seizes control of the division once Tom Brady declines and retires.

I could see Indy becoming a very high powered offense again sooner rather than later. I think Houston is here to stay though. I think TN will remain competitive from year to year unless Jake Locker makes a big leap. I think Jacksonville will be a second class citizen in that division because of how poorly they draft.

My AFC long term predictions.

Beyond that, I can't believe we drafted not one, but TWO quarterbacks that I really liked. After the McNabb trade, after we passed on Gabbert last year and decided Rex ****ing Grossman was our guy, I was desperate. I was desperate for us to draft ANY QB. I could have easily talked myself into a fifth or sixth rounder as the long term solution at that point. I was getting to the point where I assumed we would just never take a QB I actually liked. Then, in one draft, to get two? Not only that, to get three offensive linemen too?

I have a feeling Shanny felt the same way. He probably thought he was never gonna find a QB he could live with. Us going with Grossman and Beck was clearly just saying that we were putting minimal resources into that spot until we found someone worth investing in.

The Steelers's OL should be scary good in a couple of years. It could go a long way towards extending Ben Roethlisberger's career.

---------- Post added May-8th-2012 at 07:08 AM ----------

I see Pittsburgh and Baltimore filling the power vacuum New England is going to create when their run ends in a few seasons. They're already nearly as good as New England today. But I think both Cincy and Cleveland will be extremely competitive. That division is the best in the NFL. The teams will batter each other and keep any of the others from establishing dynastic success.

I could see San Diego climbing back out of mediocrity in the SEC West. I could see Oakland and Kansas City taking some steps back after Oakland's poor use of the draft and KC's extended period of reaches draining their overall talent level (plus they're in no man's land with Matt Cassel). But I can also see Denver going on a run the next two or three years because of Manning. I could see Rex Ryan flaming out and getting fired once New York's ridiculous expectations become a factor and his act wears thin. He's not cultivated a healthy locker room.

I could see Buffalo taking a step forward in the short term once the defense improves. But I think it's Miami that eventually seizes control of the division once Tom Brady declines and retires.

I could see Indy becoming a very high powered offense again sooner rather than later. I think Houston is here to stay though. I think TN will remain competitive from year to year unless Jake Locker makes a big leap. I think Jacksonville will be a second class citizen in that division because of how poorly they draft.

My AFC long term predictions.

I agree with you about the Steelers, but the Ravens are falling apart. That Suggs injury is devastating and I was sad to hear his response. Sounds like he's going to rush back. I hope he doesn't pull a Laron. By the time he gets back to his old self (if he ever can), Ray and Ed will probably be leaving the game. Their offense just isn't potent enough to make up for a defensive decline. The O line is improving, but Boldin is getting older and never was an elite guy anyway. Torrey Smith and their two TEs just aren't big enough playmakers for that O to cut it, especially with Flacco not being elite (despite his claims).

And I have to also disagree with your claim about the AFC North. NFC Beast still holds the crown. As much as we improved,the rest of the division made power moves too. I just think RG3 trumps all of their moves by a lot.

Most everything else you said, I agree with. The AFC West is a little fuzzy. I don't see SD ever reaching their potential. Denver, Oakland, and KC are all up in the air. Manning helps Denver a lot but D is a question. I do think they've positioned themselves the best. Oakland has always been competitive so will a house not in disarray make them emerge as contenders? And KC is talented everywhere except QB and has some questionable DL play. Losing Carr hurts. What will Daboll do with Charles and his reunion with Hillis? But they've been competitive because everyone else in the division had just as questionable QB play. With Manning and Palmer in division, Cassel is by far the worst.

That's my hope for him this coming camp. To show what he showed at OSU and get a foot on the ladder. Kids got everything to be here for the long haul in this system. If a little raw at present.

He's as good a chance as anyone to be our starting center down the line. Having watched him up close the past few years in the bedlam game, his intangibles in this scheme have me as enthused on that UFA O-line pick-up as the other three straight draft picks we made.

Hail.

Edit: Tris, by the way, are you a UGA fan, or GT?

I am from Richmond, attended UVA, moved to Atlanta, started dating a Bama grad, and have made a hobby out of mocking my UGA friends and coworkers for the past five years. I have attended more Alabama games than Georgia games in that span (including of interest to you, both the Terrance Cody block in T-town and Julio Jones beatdown in Knoxvegas), though I have been to my fair share of both, and as many UVA games as well.

However, my enjoyment out of UGA's short comings and constant arrests is probably coming to an end this fall, as I am attending UGA Law. I feel like from my inner college football fan is in conflict with itself Fight Club style, as five years of conditioned **** talking to Dawgs is about to be erased by the fact that I will soon be one.

roflbot.jpg

PS - Although one common thread of being both a partial Bama fan and a future UGA fan is a disdane for that AWFUL shade of orange.

:pfft:

Lemme just say Jonathan Banks is going to be a very good CB in the 2013 class. Watched 3 cut up films of him and liked what I saw

no A, just Johnthan

http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=204766787

Likewise, one of my favs from last year

__

Let me twist your ear to some others, underclassmen and under-radar:

Merrill Noel - Wake - RS Soph

frosh All-American / 2011 ACC defensive rookie of the year / ACC honorable mention

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/noel_merrill00.html

__

E. J. Gaines - Missouri - true Junior

2011 (All-Big-12) 1st Team

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/gaines_ej00.html

__

Nigel Malone - Kansas St. - Senior

2011 (All-Big-12) 1st team

http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/malone_nigel00.html

__

Bryce Callahan - Rice - RS Soph

All-Freshman team C-USA / 2011 Honorable mention

http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/callahan_bryce00.html

__

Dayonne Nunley - Miami of Ohio - Junior

All-MAC 1st Team

http://www.muredhawks.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/nunley_dayonne00.html

__

Jordan Poyer - Oregon St. - Senior

2010 (Pac-10) honorable mention / 2011 (Pac-12) 2nd Team

http://www.osubeavers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/poyer_jordan01.html

__

Micah Hyde - Iowa - Sr

2011 Honorable mention (Big Ten coaches)

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/hyde_micah00.html

__

Broderick Brown - Ok State

2011 1st team (Big 12)

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/brown_brodrick00.html

__

- Rod Sweeting - Georgia Tech - Senior

- Jason Pinkston - Ball State - Senior

- Marc Anthony - Cal - RS Senior

---------- Post added May-8th-2012 at 03:19 PM ----------

what these guys all have in common, like Richard Crawford

- defend alot of passes

- break-up alot of passes

- recognized in conference distinction

- make INTs

__

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2011&div=IA&rpt=IA_playerpassesdefended&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

scaled.php?server=829&filename=picture1hj.png&res=landing

Dexter McCoil (FS):

http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mccoil_dexter00.html

scaled.php?server=214&filename=dexmccoilprofile.png&res=landing

__

2009 All-Freshman C-USA / 2010 All-C-USA Honorable Mention / 2011 All-C-USA 2nd Team

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2011&org=719&player=26

scaled.php?server=32&filename=dextermccoilstats.png&res=landing

__

2011: 84 total tackles / 6 INTs / 7 passes broken up / 13 passes defended

Free Safety:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=95023&draftyear=2013&genpos=FS

__

---------- Post added May-8th-2012 at 03:42 PM ----------

Guy I was looking at today who's very intriguing is Margus Hunt from SMU

yep, international player if I remember correct, but has dealt with some recurring injury in his career if I remember right, from a profile vid on him.

---------- Post added May-8th-2012 at 03:57 PM ----------

The WR from SMU to watch is Darius Johnson.

Dexter McCoil (FS):

http://www.tulsahurricane.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mccoil_dexter00.html

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg214/scaled.php?server=214&filename=dexmccoilprofile.png&res=landing

__

2009 All-Freshman C-USA / 2010 All-C-USA Honorable Mention / 2011 All-C-USA 2nd Team

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2011&org=719&player=26

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg32/scaled.php?server=32&filename=dextermccoilstats.png&res=landing

__

2011: 84 total tackles / 6 INTs / 7 passes broken up / 13 passes defended

Free Safety:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=95023&draftyear=2013&genpos=FS

__

---------- Post added May-8th-2012 at 03:42 PM ----------

yep, international player if I remember correct, but has dealt with some recurring injury in his career if I remember right, from a profile vid on him.

---------- Post added May-8th-2012 at 03:57 PM ----------

The WR from SMU to watch is Darius Johnson.

agree, for some reason Shanny is liking to raid SMU for talent recently.

Archived