Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 Comprehensive NFL Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Guy I was looking at today who's very intriguing is Margus Hunt from SMU. Bruce Feldman brought him up in his athletic freaks article and this guy is unreal athletically. Just a name to keep an eye on with our SMU connection

ive seen him in a few games, but have only really noticed him for his blocked kicks... dude is beast at that. im not sure how he finished out the year at DE.. this year could be telling for him and you know shanny has already heard of him.

Jackson Jeffcoat is going to be a very special football player in the NFL. High motor freak athlete. As a 3-4 OLB watch out

Agreed. Texas's defense as a whole is special, particularly those two ends. But I like the safety a lot too.

---------- Post added May-9th-2012 at 07:55 AM ----------

What do you all expect to be long term need positions next year?

Agreed. Texas's defense as a whole is special, particularly those two ends. But I like the safety a lot too.

---------- Post added May-9th-2012 at 07:55 AM ----------

What do you all expect to be long term need positions next year?

my 2 long terms needs for the team I think are going to be CB and S. Most of the other spots on the team are starting to be in good shape but the secondary right now is still iffy

We don't need Te'o we got 2 young ILBs. We need a #1 CB, FS, and I want a NT.

Not to nitpick, but we'll eventually need at least one or (ideally) two more. If you're suggesting that we won't need another starter, then I can see your point though.

Not to nitpick, but we'll eventually need at least one or (ideally) two more. If you're suggesting that we won't need another starter, then I can see your point though.

Yeah we are goin to need a b/u not Te'o. I wouldn't worry about it next year either.

Next draft is deep though so we might luck up and a ILB rated as an 2nd rounder. But that can be said for CB, S, NT, or WR can drop too.

Yeah we are goin to need a b/u not Te'o. I wouldn't worry about it next year either.

Next draft is deep though so we might luck up and a ILB rated as an 2nd rounder. But that can be said for CB, S, NT, or WR can drop too.

So far CB S and WR are really deep in terms of guys I've started to look at. I tell you some of y'all need to go watch Marquess Wilson from Wash State. That is a playmaker at WR

This is a make or break year at NT for Cofield. It might be that we won't need one. I like the guys behind Cofield too, particularly Neild.

I think after this year we wont be worrying about Cofield at NT at all. He started to really develop into something very good as the year went on, and now with a full offseason to really develop then he'll be in very good shape

Does anyone think we'll be anywhere close to be able to draft Mantei Te'o from Notre Dame?

Even if it's to the detriment of OU, I'm kinda' hoping Tom Wort has a dip in his progress this year and drops. The English kid is a heck of a baller. Fast, savvy, non-stop motor and one tough, undersized SOB. Remind you of anyone?

Sadly, if he steps up again this year I can't see him not going in the top 2 rounds. But man he'd be a great addition if we could snag him.

And yes GW, aside from it never being a bad thing to constantly draft LB's when you run a 34, we definitely still need more going forward.

Hail.

So far CB S and WR are really deep in terms of guys I've started to look at. I tell you some of y'all need to go watch Marquess Wilson from Wash State. That is a playmaker at WR

Oh I was watching film on him last night. I like his body control, how he snatches the ball, and runs after the catch. Him and Cobi Hamilton r 2 WRs that would fit well.

I think that this is a really rough patch for the safety position league wide. I think we could see some important changes in the way the position is played moving forward.

Constant injuries to Troy Polamalu, the aging of Ed Reed, the death of Sean Taylor, the array of career ending injuries to Bob Sanders, the career ending injury to LaRon Landry, the serious injury to Eric Berry... it's been an unmitigated disaster at the safety position for the entire NFL. Basically the old generation of star safeties is just about done and the middle generation never arrived. There are no star safeties right now. There are a couple really good ones like Eric Weddle (sadly, the best safety in the league right now unless Polamalu is healthy) and Michael Griffin, Dashon Goldson, and Adrian Wilson. And there are a couple of seeming up and comers like Kam Chancellor, T.J. Ward, and Jairus Byrd.

None of them are stars though.

The best safety play in the league today probably happens when the top CBs line up at safety like Charles Woodson.

I think the position is changing anyway. It's getting to the point where safeties must be able to single cover slot receivers. Box duty is less important than it has been for a loooong time and it's only going to continue to grow less important.

I think the prototype safety today in a 3-4 defensive front is a Dashon Goldson type. The guy should be fast, physical, and tough but size and strength and the ability to play downhill are very secondary in importance now IMO. I think you'll see the physical but slower CBs with good ball skills and zone instincts be the new deep defensive backs. I think you'll see more rotating in secondaries moving forward. I think you'll eventually see fewer and fewer pure safeties taken in the first round and the traditional thumping safeties will go low in the draft. I think you'll see more mid round DeJon Gomes "DB" types playing safety because of their ability to cover the slot.

Maybe not next year though. There are a lot of high quality safeties in the senior class that should probably go in the first two rounds because they can cover.

This is a make or break year at NT for Cofield. It might be that we won't need one. I like the guys behind Cofield too, particularly Neild.

I still think we many want to get a NT/DE like Star Lotulelei or Jesse Williams. They would make our defense feared.

What grade does Wilson have on him currently?

I'm interested to see how Kenny Stills does this year as he steps up to a #1. He certainly floundered when Broyles went down the end of last year. Big year for him as he sure has playmaking talent.

Presuming he declares early of course.

Hail.

What grade does Wilson have on him currently?

I'm interested to see how Kenny Stills does this year as he steps up to a #1. He certainly floundered when Broyles went down the end of last year. Big year for him as he sure has playmaking talent.

Presuming he declares early of course.

Hail.

Wilson who? If you mean Tyler Wilson I think he's 3rd behind Barkley and Thomas.

Oh you meant the WR he should be 3rd too behind Woods and Hunter.

Even if it's to the detriment of OU, I'm kinda' hoping Tom Wort has a dip in his progress this year and drops. The English kid is a heck of a baller. Fast, savvy, non-stop motor and one tough, undersized SOB. Remind you of anyone?

Sadly, if he steps up again this year I can't see him not going in the top 2 rounds. But man he'd be a great addition if we could snag him.

We do have a second rounder this upcoming year, you know ;)

Allen I think is the most complete WR. He's just a freak and has been damn good even without the best QB play

Here's one thing for me, just to preface, Allen and Woods and M. Wilson [edit] (was actually thinking of Markus Wheaton here, not Wilson) are all (kind-of) carbon copies of one another in that they are these slighty taller hybrid slot guys, if you follow me – who also can split out Flanker (moreso the case with Allen).

But they rack up lots of catches with bubble screen and slip screen routes, especially Woods, but Allen a good bit as well. Not a demerit mind you, just pointing out.

I'd venture a guess that Allen has a good bit of YAC due to the route designs he gets, being that the ball is in his hands close to the LOS quite often, with space.

And with each of those guys, they dovetail Slant and quick-curl off of the slip screen. I noticed (Wheaton) and Allen being used much the same and the routes are all kind-of similar with Woods.

(edit) Wilson's scheme is distinctly using him outside.

Cal will push Allen downfield sometimes with a 10 yard Comeback and the Dig occasionally. But usually I saw him running underneath routes. His height does seem like an advantage, at least in the Pac-12.

Just something I've seen from their offensive designs.

Now if any one of those three are actually their listed size, I'd say it's Allen because he does look all of that 6'3" and his limbs look pronounced with length as well.

So I guess I'm trying to tap into something - he's not your short (5'9") type slot guy, nor the proto "X" Split Out.

Not saying that he couldn't or doesn't it's just the Cal system I guess.

Am I off here?

I think actually he's an X guy in the NFL. While yes he does have those underneath routes and I agree with all of those guys are simliar, Allen though when I've watched does stretch the field vertically. I think partially though you hit it with being the Cal system. Allen has the ability to stretch the field and he can do it. I almost think Allen is held back a little in that system and when he hits the NFL watch out. Imagine Allen playing at OK State or Oklahoma, he'd be talked about as a top 5 pick. With him at Cal, he's still talked about, but not to the extent a guy like Woods has been

Archived