Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Those who were ready to unload Cooley, we'll see how that idea works out Week 1 possibly.. :(

NoCalMike

Anyone ever consider the fact that teams hardly ever seek TE's on the trade market? People just assume that there are teams out there dying to trade a mid-round pick for a TE, when quality TE's are a dime a dozen now and can be had fairly regularly in the draft (one reason why drafting Fred Davis where we did was so stupid when we had more pressing needs). Look at all of the quality TE's in the league right now that were mid-round picks. Most teams would rather just use that pick to draft a guy 8 years younger than Cooley.

No one is going to even want Cooley.

I think we had our chance this offseason to unload Cooley and get something in return, but we missed it. After the Oakland Raiders got Zach Miller stolen from them to go play with his old line coach Tom Cable, now in Seattle, the Skins should have been on the phone immediately. Miller was their top pass catcher, and the Raiders are notorious for overpaying for free agent acquisitions. Not to mention Jason Campbell would probably have loved to get Cooley, who was his favorite target when he was here. Instead they got Boss, fomerly of the Giants, and now they don't have the same "need".

That all said, I like Cooley for us, he autographed my Sean Taylor jersey at a 49ers game a few years back, and he can still be an integral part of our passing game! If healthy, that is! The TE position is very productive in this offense, case in point, Owen Daniels from the Texans. The real concern I have is what happens when Fred Davis decides to leave the Skins behind after being stuck behind Cooley for so long. We will be left with a older, and probably less effective, Cooley and no backup plan. Paulsen does look pretty good so far, though, so maybe that would work....

Anyway, just give it some time and it will all work itself out... Cooley will get healthy or not... Davis will take another step toward unseating him or not... Sellers will make the team as a #4 TE....NOT... If Cooley's knee doesn't get better real quick, I could actually see the Skins putting him on PUP, keeping Davis, Paulsen and Sellers... and then cutting Keiland Williams and only keeping one FB because Sellers could always back up there...

We'll all find out soon enough! I love this time of year! :koolaid:

He did?...He had ONE catch :ols:...The standards around here must be pretty low if a single reception of 11 yards--coupled with a costly drop--qualifies as a "pretty good" performance.

The drop was big, and you are right that he only had one catch. (My memory failed me about that).

I thought Davis looked okay though. He looks to be in good shape, and he was doing a nice job blocking. Regardless, I think Davis can handle starting at tight end. We know he has the talent, and he has done well in reserve duty for us.

Not saying I would want him over Cooley of course. Cooley is the man. I hope #47 gets healthy so we can see him on the field soon.

The drop was big, and you are right that he only had one catch. (My memory failed me about that).

I thought Davis looked okay though. He looks to be in good shape, and he was doing a nice job blocking. Regardless, I think Davis can handle starting at tight end. We know he has the talent, and he has done well in reserve duty for us.

Not saying I would want him over Cooley of course. Cooley is the man. I hope #47 gets healthy so we can see him on the field soon.

Honestly? I love Fred Davis and pray he stays on the team :yes:...nothing against him whatsoever. I'm also praying there's a way to keep him on the team without losing Cooley.

Basically, I'm saying that I'm not ridiculing Davis' game Friday night lol...just that there was nothing in his game Friday night that added to the evidence that he's better than Cooley.

What Id lie to see if F Davis can be rotated in as a wide out. The guy has dropped a lots of pounds and I think could make up nice matchup against smaller corners. Paulsen is a solid blocker and has shown he catch the ball. Cooley may or may not be the player he once was but when he's on he's on and is a good possession receiver.

I think my main point is. Cooley has proven that he can come up big in regular season games. There was a good chuck of time where he was the go-to guy on 3rd downs because everyone else seemed to drop every other pass that came their way.

No one is arguing that Fred Davis younger, stronger, & faster, however those intangibles are meaningless unless they all come together in games. And I am not talking about when our team is garbage and playing from behind against defenses who are playing prevent.

Cooley might not be flashy, but the guy extends the chains and he does it against the best the opposing defenses have to offer. It seems like Fred Davis can have one big catch in a game and suddenly people want to cut Cooley, when Cooley usually has the most catches of anyone on the entire team.

I believe 2011 can finally be the season where Fred Davis comes out and excels on an every game basis, beyond a one big "hey did you see THAT catch" type of situation. If it is, then I think it is fair to put all other TE's on the table, but until Fred Davis can consistently perform in big games, against the top competition, I am not comfortable unloading Cooley.

When Cooley is healthy he is the best TE on the team..problem is he is not .To me it looks like they are possibly stacking up to have options should they IR him if this knee thing does not clear up. Paulsen is a very serviceable TE and can block and Sleepy still has flashes of brilliance. Big Mike is now listed as a TE, although that may be just his temporary job as I cannot see him making the team unless someone is hurt.

Hopefully, Cooleys injury gets better, but that knee getting constantly drained usually is a sign of a bigger knee problem.

I think they moved Seller's to TE to light a fire. It seems since he made the probowl his blocking has sucked. I remember Portis calling him out about missing blocks. I think Seller's is abit old for a every down fullback anyway. He doesn't blow people out anymore.....

Read the first page of this thread.

Been there and done that I still don't know what caused the knee problem. As a result of the "knee problem" he is getting his sore knee drained. Did someone light him up last week? Was he wrestling with Kyle? What... How do you all of a sudden pop up hurt and now your missing a full week of practice?

From what I read earlier the had his knee scoped the day after the season ended because of a meniscus (sp?) tear that dated back to 2005. He also said on The Fan earlier that he could play and practice, but they wanted to make sure they didn't set him back further.

HTTR

Isn't Fred's blocking suspect? If the TE can't block, we have enough WRs.

I think the knock on both guys is that they are pass-catching TEs. Neither is an above average blocker, but I believe Cooley has improved in that regard. All in all though, if you really just wanted blocking out of your TE, you could use Sellers. What makes a TE elite is being able to make plays in the passing game.

Why all this Cooley trade talk? Bruce Allen has addressed this a few weeks ago and said why would he want to trade a Pro Bowl TE? Cooley gets the job done and is a match up nightmare for DC's and if they use both Cooley and Davis at times during the season they will give the opponents defenses fits trying to cover them.

Isn't Fred's blocking suspect? If the TE can't block, we have enough WRs.

Alright, my snark aside.

Fred Davis is doing it all—short patterns, deep seam patters, fly patterns. No pass in the same ZIP code is too difficult for Davis to haul in as he makes lunging catches and diving catches left and right. ... The problem [last year] was not so much Davis himself as it was that the Redskins had to keep him and/or Chris Cooley in to help with pass protection much of the time that they were in two tight end sets. If the offensive line does indeed improve this year, Davis could live up to his full pass-catching potential.

CSN Link

And on the op - Cooley will ball this year. He's a vet and proven. We know what he has. And if the knee is bothering him, the coaches will see and his workload will adjust accordingly.

Archived