Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

www.sfexaminer.com: Donovan article, taking subtle shots at Coach Shanahan

Griff

Ya know, in all the years we faced McNugget, I never thought of him as a threat. In fact, I always believed he would throw a pick to us or throw one into the dirt on a crucial third down.

I'm really going to enjoy watching our new and improved D tear him up this year.

not relating to mcnabb, but before last year eli had never thrown more than one TD in a game vs. us iirc.

one of those fun facts where perception doesn't add up to fact. NY's running game just destroyed us.

Well we can also say Shanny and Son sucked with the prediticable play calling and failure to be prepared in most of the games last year. Espcially in that coaching debacle on Monday night against the Eagles. You say McNabb sucked, but how many coaching matchups did Shanny win this year?

Could it be that the "predictable play calling" had something to do with the fact that our quarterback struggled in the offense so we had to dumb it down for him so he can run it halfway decently, and even then he could only barely do it?

Because I seem to remember plays looking a lot more diverse once Rex got in and played quarterback.

And I must've forgotten the part where Kyle called the defense that allowed D-Jax to dance into our end zone. Predictable playcalling is why we lost the Philly game, not losing our starting running back in warm-ups and our entire gameplan on both sides of the ball falling apart.

Blaming the Monday Night Massacre squarely on Mike and Kyle is the most boneheaded thing I've ever heard. That was about as much of a team effort to fail as I've ever seen.

Could it be that the "predictable play calling" had something to do with the fact that our quarterback struggled in the offense so we had to dumb it down for him so he can run it halfway decently, and even then he could only barely do it?

nobody talks about that too much. but it seems clear that was the case.

if he's still starting. i kind of wish we played them earlier in the year.

I think he will. These rookie QBs have had very little time with the lockout to absorb the playbook. It will be hard enough for the vets.

Ya know, in all the years we faced McNugget, I never thought of him as a threat. In fact, I always believed he would throw a pick to us or throw one into the dirt on a crucial third down.

I'm really going to enjoy watching our new and improved D tear him up this year.

True, very true. I think we'll be much improved now that we aren't trying to fit square pegs in round holes on defense.

Because I seem to remember plays looking a lot more diverse once Rex got in and played quarterback.

And I must've forgotten the part where Kyle called the defense that allowed D-Jax to dance into our end zone. Predictable playcalling is why we lost the Philly game, not losing our starting running back in warm-ups and our entire gameplan on both sides of the ball falling apart.

Blaming the Monday Night Massacre squarely on Mike and Kyle is the most boneheaded thing I've ever heard. That was about as much of a team effort to fail as I've ever seen.

It's the coaches job to get the team ready to play. Shanny and Son got out coached and out prepared, period. You mentioned our gameplan falling apart, why was that? As for our offense looking more diverse with Rex, I don't recall that. I recall seeing a lot of picks and botched snaps. Rex Grossman is a mediocre quarterback plain and simple. I would hope he would know the system because he spent the year before holding a clipboard in said system. It's one thing to get beat, but when you get beat by 50 in the NFL, that is more on the coaches because they got out smarted and out scheme the whole damn game. Not 1 quarter or 1 half, but the whole damn game. That is pathetic and you know it.

• 2 weeks later...
This is why shanny will flop here and the search for a new coach will begin in Jan 2013.

He is an arrogant jerk who will throw a seasoned vet under the bus to protect his little boy.

He has already has one embarrassing season under his belt and is gearing up for number 2 right now.

QFHysterical value

Shanahan went just as low as McNabb last year. It was pathetic all the way around. I hope Shanahan learned something. I don't get the sense that he would tell us if he did.

I think Shanahan worked hard at his job, something that McNabb didn't do. Like him or not, the two don't compare.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically... if you have dreams of being an NFL coach (Assistant or Head) one day, you better hope your dad becomes an NFL coach at some point first. Otherwise your chances are little to none. I don't have a problem with nepotism. I have a problem with people hiring their children into big time jobs, even when they're not the most experienced/qualified person for the position. Actually, I really hope Kyle succeeds and becomes the next great offensive jugernaut... the next Joe Gibbs, if you will. However, on the other hand my doubts and skepticism will continue to be rooted in his inability to make a situation work with someone who wasn't "his guy" so to speak. That wreaks of limitations to me. Yeah we all know Donovan wasn't a walk in the park for Kyle but I wish all the Shanahan lovers would acknowledge: (1) Donovan isn't worthless at this point in his career or else Minnesota would have waited for us to cut him, (2) Donovan missed some throws last year that even Jason Campbell would have made but he also made some long throws that J.C. missed during his time here as well and (3) Give Donovan the same weapons that Beck or Grossman will have at their disposal this season instead of some of the washed up has beens he was forced to utilize last season and lets see how well or poorly he would do. The great ones should be able to coach up their worst enemy in my opinion. I'm a Redskin fan who expects greatness in lieu of mediocrity where the organization is concerned, top to bottom. For example... I would never espouse to the lets tank the season so we can get Andrew Luck theory. That's a loser's approach as far as I'm concerned. Anyway, I really do wish Kyle the best because its in my best interests to do so first and foremost but also because its the decent thing to do. I hope he makes me eat my words one day because that would also mean good things for redskins nation as a whole. All in all, I definitely respect the points you made but personally, its hard for me to appreciate and respect Kyle's ability as a coach, when he hasn't accomplished anything significant in his career yet but continues to rise up the coaching ladder anyway in spite of that. That's all...

By the way... in spite of the fact that most "experts" considered Donovan's FIRST year in Kyle's precious offense a complete disaster, dude was on track to break the Redskins single season passing yards record, if coach shanahan hadn't benched him the last 3 games last season. Hmmmm...

Basically... if you have dreams of being an NFL coach (Assistant or Head) one day, you better hope your dad becomes an NFL coach at some point first. Otherwise your chances are little to none. I don't have a problem with nepotism. I have a problem with people hiring their children into big time jobs, even when they're not the most experienced/qualified person for the position.

By the way... in spite of the fact that most "experts" considered Donovan's FIRST year in Kyle's precious offense a complete disaster, dude was on track to break the Redskins single season passing yards record, if coach shanahan hadn't benched him the last 3 games last season. Hmmmm...

Kyle Shanahan would have been the next "hot" young coach had he stayed in Houston. He didn't need his dad for any "help". In fact, from a pure career advancement perspective, he should have stayed in Houston and not come here. Somebody would have taken a shot with the resume he had before he came here.

Kyle Shanahan would have been the next "hot" young coach had he stayed in Houston. He didn't need his dad for any "help". In fact, from a pure career advancement perspective, he should have stayed in Houston and not come here. Somebody would have taken a shot with the resume he had before he came here.

Agree 100% Kyle's resume speaks for itself, he didn't make a lateral move coming here...he took a step back. Those claiming nepotism don't know football and are too stupid to eat pretzels.

Archived