Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

www.sfexaminer.com: Donovan article, taking subtle shots at Coach Shanahan

Griff

In this article Donovan takes a subtle shot at Mike Shanahan and the offensive coordinator of the Vikings Bill Musgrave also takes a subtle shot saying you don't take a player of Donovan's caliber and try to make him fit your system you adapt your system to his strengths.

After clashing with Mike and Kyle Shanahan in Washington last season, the open communication seems to be a welcome change.

Donovan:

"It's truly unique," McNabb said of his role in developing the Vikings offense. "As we know, some coaches can be stubborn. Some coaches say it's my way or no way. You become robotic. That's when you pull away from your style of play and the things that made you successful.

"But when you're on the same page with the guy or with the group or whatever, then everybody has a better understanding of each other."

Bill Musgrave:

"It's not a system where we're going to sit here and say, 'Donovan didn't fit or another player didn't fit,'" Musgrave said. "We're going to customize our system to really play to their strengths.

"I think you do that not only with a veteran guy, but also with a young guy. Whether it be Donovan or Christian, we want to identify their traits that can help us win and play to their strengths."

http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/nfl/2011/08/qb-donovan-mcnabb-takes-over-vikings-offense

Mods, if this belongs in Around the NFL please move it. Thanks

I dunno. I'll take the word of a 2-time Super Bowl winning coach over Musgrave and McNabb. Just sayin'

It all comes back to trying to fit square pegs into round holes. You bring McNabb in because he's had a successful career elsewhere, and then TOTALLY change everything that's made him who he is. Well, it didn't work. Some of it's Donovan's fault, some of it's the Shanny's fault. But I'm so ready to MOVE ON.

McNabb and Haynesworth complaining about coaches not letting them be themselves. What else is new?

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!

Hes gone and is an after thought. Shanny tried a win now approach with the roster he had last season and didnt work out. There is a new mind set in town. Who cares where McNabb went or what hes doing or if Haynworth performs better in NE, or if portis isgonna play for a contendor or if los will catch a pick in SF. Who the **** cares. All other franchises cut ties with star players all the time and they become an after thought this is a mentality we need to start taking here.

Stop dwelling in the past and look to the future cause from what i see the future looks bright and the winning times will be back in DC soon.

I can't wait to see what happens when things start going wrong in Minnesota what they start saying then. Their true colors will show. Every coach that truly believes in their system, and is successful with it, will want his players to operate within the scheme. When they brought McNabb in the idea was always that he was a good fit. That didn't pan out, unfortunately, but to act like every coach should pander their scheme to their players is so incredibly naive and selfish that it's disgusting to hear. When the Pats got rid of Randy Moss, the first thing coming out of their camp was how great it will be that they can go back to just working their system and plugging players in. Yes, they had to utilize Randy Moss in a certain way and did change their offensive scheme a bit to pander to his strengths, but in the end, it actually held them back once Randy's skills declined just a tiny bit.

The Shanahan's have proven that one thing they do know is how to run an NFL offense. Andy Reid got sick of McNabb's "big play or bust" mentality as well which is, perhaps, the biggest reason he traded him. McNabb has proven his style of play is woefully inconsistent and while the big play can occur at any time with him, the rest of the time you're going to get balls thrown into the dirt, 3 and outs, and a defense gassed because the offense can't stay on the field for an extended drive. We'll see how well that works for Minnesota if they pander to McNabb.

As you can tell, I really don't blame Shanny for the trade. I'd do it again. I really felt like McNabb was mobile enough to be a great bootleg passer and he's shown in his career that he can pass on the run as well as anyone. You can argue that Shanahan should've known McNabb has been inaccurate on his short throws, but you can't blame him for thinking that wasn't going to make or break how well he does in the system. Looking back, you'd think McNabb would be a great fit for the type of bootleg-passing QB Shanny looks for... it just didn't work out in the end and I'm glad once that was understood they didn't keep trying to force it. That's what my sig is for there and I totally get what Shanny is saying.

I dunno. I'll take the word of a 2-time Super Bowl winning coach over Musgrave and McNabb. Just sayin'

Im with you, we all saw how he played last year with our own eyes. I think Shanny is building a winner here, from the ground up.

Why not just dust the ol' brain off and give a try? Has Shanahan and his son ever denied being control freaks? It's well documented by this point that they are and there is not a single thing wrong with that if the results support it (which two super bowls and arguably the Texans offense does). Perhaps, just maybe, everyone is right. McNabb couldn't handle the level of control without becoming "robotic" (another way of saying underperforming). The Shanahans didn't like this under performance and weren't willing to customize an offense around the strengths of McNabb, they wanted to run their own system.

There is no law saying every story must include at least one bad guy. Sometimes it's just a bad fit and it's better to move in a different direction.

Guess Donnie Mac isn't all that super classy after all is he? Shut the hell up and make the most of your situation in Minnesota and worry about the Redskins when you come back to Fed Ex Field in December. I have a feeling Webb or Ponder will be starting by then. Oh by the way good luck behind that offensive line it nearly got Brett Favre murdered ;)

Guess Donnie Mac isn't all that super classy after all is he? Shut the hell up and make the most of your situation in Minnesota and worry about the Redskins when you come back to Fed Ex Field in December. I have a feeling Webb or Ponder will be starting by then. Oh by the way good luck behind that offensive line it nearly got Brett Favre murdered ;)

McNabb is extremely passive aggressive, and his behavior last season and during the offseason further proved this

McNabb is extremely passive aggressive, and his behavior last season and during the offseason further proved this

Nothing worse than veiled criticism. I hate when people mince words. Just say what you think. Obviously it was more important to McNabb to play the game his way, (which has won him so many Lombardi's) than change his game to do what a 2 time winning Super Bowl head coach asks of you.

I mean who the **** does Shanahan think he is right? :rolleyes:

---------- Post added August-6th-2011 at 02:30 AM ----------

and before somebody comes in here and states "it's not that simple." Actually, YES it is. The problem is when people try to over complicate things that are not complicated.

Why trade for a veteran and not cater to his skills? McNabb wasn't a raw rookie. While McNabb hasn't won a superbowl, let's not act like he has been surrounded with all-pro's his entire career. The guy has arguably done more with less in the last 10 years then any other QB in the league. The entire situation is Shanny's fault, there's enough tape on Mcnabb to know exactly what you're getting.

I noticed McNabb's been saying things like this a lot. He's so happy to have the freedom to have input in the offense. He has the freedom to make suggestions. In Minnesota they don't want him to be so much a robot, except to go out in play

...Basicaly, McNabb sounds like Haynesworth.

Wasn't this pretty much exactly what Haynesworth was saying? "Let me do what I want. Let me be me, let me play my game. When I was in Tennessee our DC would come up with these elaborate plays, but he just let me go out and do what I want." Same thing here, only McNabb a better promoter of himself.

I hate two faced people. I know he's gone, but this friggin' McNabb thing is going to haunt us all season, and we all know it. Haynesworth I can deal with. But McNabb? He infuriates me. What did we do but mortgage a huge part of our future to trade for him, and sign him to a fat contract in an effort to actually motivate him?

And what did he do? He was lazy. He had crappy tempo in practice. He had bad tempo in games. Throw a bad pass then smile and saunter back into the huddle. His agent to attack our head coach after they did everything possible to hide the fact that the McNabb experiment was a bust. And yeah, Mike shouldn't have made the trade, but I'm just tired of this "Kyle never adjusted to him, why trade for him if you're not going to adjust to his strengths." The more I hear and the more that comes out, the more games I remember, the more I see Kyle trying to adjust to McNabb's game, but McNabb being incapable of adjusting himself. The hell was Kyle supposed to do, blow up his whole playbook that helped develop Matt Schaub into a franchise caliber quarterback and start from scratch running what they ran in Phily? Effing ridiculous.

Whatever happened to showing up in being a pro, and being in shape? I know things weren't ideal. We've heard about the lack of weapons and the o-line. But somehow Rex managed to look more efficient, and that in and of itself is a bold statement. Rex comes in cold after not starting for God knows how long and in three games had the same number of multiple touchdown games McNabb had; two.

Now McNabb's getting out worked by one of the most inconsistent quarterbacks in history and two career back-ups who, for all intents and purposes, with any other coach, would never see the friggin' football field, while Minnesota hitches it's wagon to another broken down, aging quarterback.

I mean...this is twice! Twice where McNabb has been moved because of better options, or at least less dramatic options. Andy Reid knew his time was up, Mike learned the hard way.

And even better, EVEN BETTER, is that it sounds like McNabb is going to find himself in exactly the same situation he was last year. Their offensive line sucks. His only weapons to speak of are Percy Harvin, a slot receiver, his tight end in Shiancoe, and AP in the backfield. Better than Cooley, Portis and Moss, maybe But still. And they have an aging defense.

Screw this guy and his lack of work ethic and his butt hurtness over the fact that Kyle DARE suggest that, in an offense predicated on timing and precision, he work on his footwork and make the right amount of hitches. It's going to blow up in Minnesota's faces, just like it blow up in ours.

Such bull from the jerkwad....

Glad he's gone. Who cares what he says. It was a winnow trade, nobody knew he was going to play that poorly in a new system. He was in the same system for what 10 years. Unfortunatley we were the ones who took that risk, what ya gonna do?

Move on and hail on

Why trade for a veteran and not cater to his skills? McNabb wasn't a raw rookie. While McNabb hasn't won a superbowl, let's not act like he has been surrounded with all-pro's his entire career. The guy has arguably done more with less in the last 10 years then any other QB in the league. The entire situation is Shanny's fault, there's enough tape on Mcnabb to know exactly what you're getting.

McNabb's skillset is very likely the reason Shanahan was interested in acquiring him to begin with. After all, the man has the kind of physical tools that make him just about perfect for the offense that won two Super Bowls in Denver and turned Jake Plummer into a Pro Bowler. If anything, the tape would be misleading as to the fit between QB and coach. The simple truth of the matter is that the working relationship between McNabb and our coaching staff just didn't cut it. Both sides of the relationship were demonstrably inflexible in their approach to the game and the full extent of the divide may not have been foreseeable by anyone with the possible exception of Andy Reid.

My personal tendency is to ascribe slightly more blame to McNabb because everything I know about everyone involved would tend to suggest that it was not a simple matter of schematic fit that was the problem, it was about the little details. Tempo, mechanical adjustments, and progressions are where this all came apart. Anyone who has ever seen McNabb play knows that he could have benefited enormously from a few small tweaks to his game. He just didn't have the patience, work ethic, and trust in the coaching staff necessary to pull it all together. Shanahan does deserve quite a bit of blame for the wasted draft picks, of course, but it is laughable to place all blame squarely on him as you suggest. We're talking about a coach who is very clear about his expectations and likely did do his best to make sure McNabb was on board before OK-ing the trade. McNabb, however, seems to have mastered the art of saying things that he is unwilling or unable to backup.

Also I hate this whole issue that Kyle Shanahan's playcalling didn't adjust in order for McNabb to do well. Look back at the Lions game, the whole 1st & 2nd Quarter the O-line was getting blown up & McNabb was either rolling out & falling or taking 5-step drops most of the time. It was ugly and fault can go all around to playcalling, inaccuracy from McNabb, & horrible O-line play.

In the 2nd half, Kyle adjusted from his original gameplan and started to utilize more 3-step drops, shorter routes, & running the ball outside more (18-Force). The problem was either WRs would drop passes & or McNabb was still inaccurate.

So to say Kyle or Mike Shanahan were stubborn is ridiculous. I'm not saying they were perfect by any means but they tried to give McNabb the best opportunity to succeed, it just didn't work out. (Also a majority of the game they went in 2 by 2 sets in order to balance the defense giving McNabb clearer vision to read the coverage)

Enter Apotheosis ~ McNabb's skillset is very likely the reason Shanahan was interested in acquiring him to begin with. After all, the man has the kind of physical tools that make him just about perfect for the offense that won two Super Bowls in Denver and turned Jake Plummer into a Pro Bowler.

I have to disagree with that statement. Donovan McNabb wasn’t perfect for anybody’s scheme. Coaches don’t design schemes for passers who are inconsistent on short-to-medium range throws. In 1999, Andy Reid pretty much abandoned the WCO ball control philosophy for a young QB who could run, extend plays, and throw the deep pass well.

Throwing on rhythm is basic for a WCO QB. Kyle Shanahan was called a control freak for trying to teach McNabb to throw on rhythm. He isn’t a WCO QB. Donovan doesn’t fit anybody’s scheme.

Throwing on rhythm is basic for a WCO QB. Kyle Shanahan was called a control freak for trying to teach McNabb to throw on rhythm. He isn’t a WCO QB. Donovan doesn’t fit anybody’s scheme.

This is true, Andy Reid is a West Coast disciple & uses all the terminology but his passing concepts were much more similar to a Coryell Offense while McNabb was there. Much more emphasis on down-field passing.

This is why shanny will flop here and the search for a new coach will begin in Jan 2013.

He is an arrogant jerk who will throw a seasoned vet under the bus to protect his little boy.

He has already has one embarrassing season under his belt and is gearing up for number 2 right now.

Archived