Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

www.sfexaminer.com: Donovan article, taking subtle shots at Coach Shanahan

Griff

It's because the Vikings have a better O-line than the 2010 Skins

I wouldn't be so quick to say that with McKinnie out of the picture.

I don't honestly believe that when Shanny arrived in Denver and told Elway, "either play my way or I'll have your ass shipped out of here". But now after having some success his ego is too big to see the bigger picture and why make a trade for McNabb if you weren't willing to to try to tailor some of your offensive strategy to fit his strengths. Who in the world tries to tweak a veteran QB with McNabb credentials this late in his career. IMO Shanny uked up, screwed up, and needs to shut up. Shanny is no long a humble man willing to make small concession in his coaching in order to get the best out of his players and when he retires I don't want his spoiled ass son no where around the head coach table.

Man, this post is ignorant.

I've always maintained that both parties share blame.

But, in your post above you assume that McNabb 'refused' to do his part and you also assume that Kyle 'no doubt' made adjustments.

These assumption allow you to place all the blame McNabb.

But given McNabb's career I don't agree with either assumption.

And I can completely understand if Kyle was rigid with his scheme.

It's his first time installing his offense with a new team.

Its a lot harder to try to adapt scheme while your still trying to teach it to everyone else on the team.

And I can understand McNabb's struggles in a new offense as rigid as Kyle's, many QBs that change teams struggle in year one.

But, to get bent out of shape over these comments by Musgrave and McNabb imo shows a certain level of lack of objectivity and insecurity.

---------- Post added August-7th-2011 at 05:22 AM ----------

I think your take is a very broad stokes view that allows you to blame only McNabb.

We don't know how McNabb felt or what changes he asked for or how Kyle felt and how rigid Kyle was or wasn't its all opinion/specualtion.

And even using your own speculation there are several QBs in the league that play outside the confines of their offense.

Their called playmakers and you don't trade for a Ben Rothlisberger then complain that he ad-libs or hold the balls too long.

But, I don't believe McNabb's input would have amounted to simply being allowed to improvise.

I think he thought he would have input like any veteran QB would have their OC.

I've used this quote several times because I think its a good example of a functional OC/QB relationship:

A) McNabbs career.... has been a failure to win a superbowl. He only made it once in all those years with many talented teams that were expected to contend. And the one time he made it it was an embarrassment.

Freddie Mitchell: McNabb Should’ve Been Benched In Super Bowl

Freddie Mitchell has been a longtime critic of Donovan McNabb. He has questioned McNabb’s handling of the Terrell Owens situation, he has questioned McNabb’s leadership abilities, and he has questioned McNabb’s performance in crunch time — especially in Super Bowl XXXIX.
“I respect both Coach Reid and Coach Shanahan — they have two total different coaching theories,” Mitchell said. “I can only wonder what would have happened in the Super Bowl if Reid stepped up and said, ‘You know what? You’re playing like [expletive], you’re benched.’ I don’t know many coaches that have the balls to do that. He was playing like [expletive] and he should have been benched. … And don’t say he doesn’t have a record of this; he did the same thing in every single championship game.”

Terrell Owens brings up Donovan McNabb's Super Bowl struggles

“Well, I don’t really want to start anything, but I did play in the Super Bowl and there were rumors where he couldn’t get our two-minute offense going at the end of the game,” Owens said. “I’m just saying.”

For those who have forgotten, Owens played a brilliant game in Super Bowl XXXIX, catching nine passes for 122 yards in his return from an ankle injury that had caused him to miss the playoffs. McNabb, however, ran a painfully slow two-minute offense with the Eagles trailing in the fourth quarter, and Philadelphia came up short, losing 24-21. When Owens became unhappy with his contract the following offseason, he suggested that he should be paid more than McNabb because, “I’m not the one who got tired in the Super Bowl.”

For the record. McNabb threw three INTs in that game.

B) There are multiple reports of McNabb resisting coaching here. His refusal to wear a wrist band is something even he has not denied when asked.Bruce Allen could have squashed it when asked about the incident by simply saying it isn't true. Instead he said he wasn't going to comment.

C) Anyone with eyes could see that McNabb ran a slow paced offense. Coaches asked him to pick up the pace. Get in and out of the huddle faster, get the play off faster, etc. It's the most simple adjustment you can ask of a QB. It's not asking for new technique. Just a little more hustle. Did you see it? Cause I sure didn't. And again I refer you back to the Eagles 2 minute drill in the superbowl which McNabb ran at a snails pace.

D) Shanahan's benching of McNabb wasn't half the indictment of him that Reid's trade of him to a division rival was. Reid knows him better than anyone and apparently didn't consider him a threat. If Shanahan let his ego get the best of him, it was in signing McNabb in the first place thinking he could make him better. Who knows, If McNabb had worked harder he just might have.

Eagles believe nobody can win with McNabb

But it’s also true that you don’t win in the NFL without consistent play at quarterback. And in that area, McNabb had his struggles.

The Eagles won when he played well – as does most every team when their quarterback plays well. The Eagles lost when he played poorly – as does most every their when their quarterback plays poorly.

And the inconsistency was more likely to be evident in the game that marked McNabb’s Achilles’ hell – the games that ultimately forced the Eagles to ship him to an in-division rival – and those were the playoff games.

Philadelphia famously lost three straight NFC title games from 2001 to 2003. McNabb certainly helped them get to that point – but he played poorly in all three losses, and each year the title-game performances grew worse:

2001 vs. St. Louis: 18 of 30, 60.0%, 171 yards, 5.7 YPA, 1 TD, 1 INT, 73.1 rating

2002 vs. Tampa: 26 of 49, 53.1%, 243 yards, 5.0 YPA, 0 TD, 1 INT, 58.5 rating

2003 vs. Carolina: 10 of 22, 45.5%, 100 yards, 4.6 YPA, 0 TD, 3 INT, 19.3 rating

Total in 3 title games: 54 of 101, 53.5%, 514 yards, 5.1 YPA, 1 TD, 5 INT, 50.5 rating

The Eagles finally got over the NFC title game hump in the 2004 playoffs, whipping the Falcons, 27-10. McNabb played very well, with 2 TD, 0 INT and a 111.1 passer rating. The win came on the heels of his career-best year of 2004.

But then came the career-defining semi-disaster against the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXIX, one filled with the inconsistency that we had seen so many times before. McNabb passed for 357 yards against Bill Belichick's vaunted defense and 3 TDs – two of them gorgeous strikes – as the Eagles went toe-to-toe with the jugger-tastic dyna-naut Patriots.

But he also threw three critical INTs, including one on his team’s final drive, and appeared to lose control of the offense in the fourth quarter – the entire team moving in slow motion, as McNabb reportedly lost his lunch at midfield and as all of Greater Philly strained to understand the lack of urgency and screamed hysterically at the television, "WTF are you doing!!!!"

I wouldn't be so quick to say that with McKinnie out of the picture..

EA, that's a good point. Hope we can enjoy some game-time chat sessions again. That was a great feature of ES.

I thought about what you said. I then considered the 2010 season with the rookie Williams hitting the wall, 1st year Lichtensteiger, Rabach ,all the rotating RGs, Brown still recovering, and the times when Heyer had to be played. I then added the absence of a really scary RB like Peterson. I concluded that the Viking's 2011 O-line even with Charlie Johnson (who protected Peyton Manning's blindside) replacing McKinnie compares very well.

This year the Skins are breaking in a new center, a new right Guard, and finding out if Williams, Lichty can avoid sophmore slumps, and that Brown has truly recovered his form. I was seriously glad the Skins found a great pass-protecter in Locklear and versatile players like Chester.

Outside of Detroit, I think McNabb is going to enjoy playing against Green Bay and Chicago's defensive front lines. And he's got Percy Harvin, kind of like a Westbrook -- and he's used to sub-par receivers like the Eagles used to have..

But now after having some success his ego is too big to see the bigger picture and why make a trade for McNabb if you weren't willing to to try to tailor some of your offensive strategy to fit his strengths.

What makes you think they didnt? How do you know they didn't put in more bootlegs or longer routs to compensate for McNabb's slower delivery and tendency to scramble?

The fact is you don't. You don't know squat. You're just assuming Shanahan is an idiot with nothing to back your opinion up. Worse, you are doing it to defend an EAGLE, who flat out SUCKED when he played for us.

Please, please, oh genius... give us an example of how Shanahan failed to adjust to McNabb. Exactly what should he have done differently?

:rolleyes:

I would not be suprised if Ponder is playing by the time Minn. and Washington play. If the Vikings are out of playoff contention (which i think they will as i got them finishing last in that division), We all know the natives will be screaming to see what Ponder can do.

As for Mcnabb, new team, new cast members, bad O-line, and no ota's = bad year imo.

Sheez, how do you figure he "flat out sucked"? I think he did pretty well, considering the situation.

Considering the situation, I'd say that Heath Shuler was pretty good in his rookie year in 1994. (10 TD, 12 INT, 45% comp rate). Look at his supporting cast and head coach.

Considering the sitation, I'd say that Trung Canidate was pretty good in 2003. 600 yards and 1 TD in 03! Look at his supporting cast and head coach.

The problem with "considering the situation" arguments is that any statistics can look good if portrayed in that light. Shuler only completed 45% of his passes his rookie year because he had unreliable receivers, except for Henry Ellard, who was likely double covered.

See, I can play with words all day, but reality was that Shuler stunk.

Who on this forum knows first hand what went on with the McNabb situation? No one including me. So how does anyone know if the Shanahan's didn't try to work around those things that McNabb did best. McNabb says it so it must be true. Can you ever envision that McNabb wasn't doing his part because he has truly lost some skills that made him successful? Maybe it was just a bad fit as someone else on here suggested. Look at what Kyle Shanahan's offense did in Houston with Matt Schaub under center? Kubiak is another Disciple of Shanahan's and you can see what the offense can do. So with the right QB this offense can produce and maybe McNabb wasn't the right one to run it.

Sheez, how do you figure he "flat out sucked"? I think he did pretty well, considering the situation.

Nah. Whatever the rights or wrongs or whose fault McNabb did not play well. He made some big plays but was horribly inconsistent, inaccurate short and medium, made some bad decisions (that pick against Detroit in our own half when we had the lead late for example) and was flat bad in the redzone.

It will be interesting to see how he goes with the Vikings as a comparison.

Nice post, Wyvern, and I pretty much agree.

90% of the nonsense people post here re: the "shanny fault" angles are laughable to people with a modicum of relevant knowledge and a well-functioning brain.

That's all before even getting to the concept that if you take a job, you're an employee and you have a boss. If you're getting paid and not abused, then do your job and treat your boss like he's the boss. If he wants you to try something a bit differently than your normal methodology that he thinks will work better for his organization, then try to do it it to the best of your ability and only after that approach has failed, go to him to see if there's a way to re-strategize and find common ground. Reid babied McNabb. Given Reid's personnel and team culture over that era, they did vert well overall until serious pressure and serious challenge required the most serious efforts. Then, one of the prime reasons for every failure to finish off a winning season with a Lombardi involved various McNabb's issues.

Donovan in DC, to many credible reports, was often stubborn and resistant or flat-out oppositional at worst, half-hearted at best, and consistently (as familiar to any intelligent observer who watched him in Philly) passive-aggressive in dodging personal accountability while insinuating blame elsewhere.

He has/had some serious football assets and well-documented football liabilities---he displayed more of those shortcomings here than was expected (and I mean stuff that was on him), though he also had a lousy O-line, to be fair. He was a gamble for us (a relatively poor one as Shanahan admitted) and the gamble failed. Precisely how much of the fail is due to McNabb's behavioral issues being exacerbated by leaving his home turf and heading into long-time rival land as a new and foreign surrounding (which I imagine had an impact on a head-guy like him) I don't know.

But the "it's a lot Shanny's fault" crap is just that--dumb crap. And going back to my firsr point in this paragraph, a traditional strong work ethic may be becoming more rare in a culture of entitlement. Particularly in this field of where so many enter the profession as adults in physical maturity but otherwise adolescent in development. And then immediately become (or already were from hs/college) celebrity-athletes who get to add being quite well paid for it all the way to being multi-millionaires at a young age and find any self-indulgences supported by media, fans, and many FO's to a point . If the can win that way, it's all good (except maybe in life's long haul for the individual who is given little motive to work on character).

In the interests of fairness, there are a lot of players, past and present,who are hard-working people who do their best and understand organizational structure, proper roles, mutual respect, and discipline and aren't some kind of head case in one way or another.

Nah. Whatever the rights or wrongs or whose fault McNabb did not play well. He made some big plays but was horribly inconsistent, inaccurate short and medium, made some bad decisions (that pick against Detroit in our own half when we had the lead late for example) and was flat bad in the redzone.

It will be interesting to see how he goes with the Vikings as a comparison.

Well, regardless of what he does, the comparison should begin with "The Vikings have arguably the best running back in the NFL lining up behind him." and then go from there.

AP makes a big difference in how he may or may not pan out. That is a nice luxury when you appear to be an old rag-arm QB.

~Bang

Well, regardless of what he does, the comparison should begin with "The Vikings have arguably the best running back in the NFL lining up behind him." and then go from there.

AP makes a big difference in how he may or may not pan out. That is a nice luxury when you appear to be an old rag-arm QB.

~Bang

True and probably a better line although they are starting to show age and just cut their LT from last year.... I think McNabb had better receivers here last year as well now that Rice has gone to Seattle.

For what it's worth I think Ponder will be starting at some point.

Yea, yea, yea 5 and thats why Andy traded you within the div...who does that. How is someone going to curtail a system to the strengths of a player who was traded from a team who all of those strengths where established? In the comp heavy NFC north, the cold of Chicago and Green Bay along with the QBs on the other side will further show that the Skins made the right decision by parting ways with 5. HTTR

When did Sanford & Son... I mean Shanahan & Son prove they know how to run a winning offense? Shanny won two titles on Elway's back before he screwed the broncos up so royally that he managed to get himself fired after Elway retired. Kyle, on the other hand, coached the #1 offense in the NFL when he was offensive coordinator in Houston a few seasons back but he did such a good job, unfortunately, the Texans didn't even make the playoffs that season. (That darn running game thingy will get you every time)

Actually, I'm tired of bashing Shanny & Son (never to be referred to as Sanford & Son again as long as all the mismanagement stuff has finally come to an end). Unlike Shanny & Kyle, Bill Musgrave played quarterback in the NFL. He has also been hired as an offensive coordinator by Carolina, Jacksonville and the University of Virginia previously (on his own merits, not because his dad called in some favors and set him up with a gig). Musgrave may not have Shanny's resume but Kyle on the other hand... if it weren't for good old fashioned American nepotism, well... lets just say... Kyle might still be a graduate assistant at UCLA, having to earn his shot at one of the most coveted sports jobs in the world, without daddy making phone calls for him in the process.

I too am sick of all the McNabb regrets and after thoughts but I have been saying what Musgrave said in this article since Donovan got benched last season. It was stupid to not tweak Kyle's precious system to take advantage of some of Dmac's physical gifts and It was equally idiotic to trade for a guy in the twilight of his career, thinking you were gonna coach him up for one last run. If the Shannys had reviewed the 14 years of tape available of Donovan's pro career and realized after doing so that Dmac needed to improve his technique after playing for so long, why make the trade? I mean c'mon skins nation... if these guys are so smart, we would have never been robbed by the eagles in the first place last year when Shanny signed off on that trade... and whether you wanna believe it or not... Shanny had to have signed off on the McNabb trade.

According to reports out of the Shanahan camp, Shanny wouldn't have taken the redskins head coaching job without veto power on all trades, draft picks and signings. So there you have it. How did Shanny miss the mark on this one? I'll tell you how... NEPOTISM... Nepotism works well with small mom & pop operations where trust is paramount. However, in the fortune 500 world where millions, billions and in some cases trillions of dollars are at stake... nepotism can become very awkward and uncomfortable when its time to report son's mistakes to daddy, who will normally take son's side, by the way. I have one last parting shot for Kyle and I promise no more Sanford & Son references ever again, unless my hand is forced... "Run the ball! Big Dummy!" (in my best Fred Sanford/Redd Foxx voice)

I'm rooting for the Shannys to get it right this time. I'm hoping the Donovan trade will serve as this regime's one and only mulligan. But please... let's stop pretending the head coach of the redskins is a Hall of Fame coach at this point in his career and therefore when he speaks its as though, the gods have spoken. I think the jury is still out on that one and I hope for his sake that fostering his son's career in coaching wont be what sabotages his ability to make it to the Hall one day. I hope I'm wrong when its all said and done because that would mean Shanny & Son may have picked up a few titles while they were in DC, silencing all the criitics such as myself in the process.

Hail to the Redskins!

When did Sanford & Son... I mean Shanahan & Son prove they know how to run a winning offense? Shanny won two titles on Elway's back before he screwed the broncos up so royaly that he managed to get himself fired after Elway retired. Kyle, on the other hand, coached the #1 offense in the NFL when he was offensive coordinator in Houston a few seasons back but he did such a good job, unfortunately, the Texans didn't even make the playoffs that season. (That darn running game thingy will get you every time)

Actually, I'm tired of bashing Shanny & Son (never to be referred to as Sanford & Son again as long as all the mismanagement stuff has finally come to an end). Unlike Shanny & Kyle, Bill Musgrave played quarterback in the NFL. He has also been hired as an offensive coordinator by Carolina, Jacksonville and the University of Virginia previously (on his own merits, not because his dad called in some favors and set him up with a gig). Musgrave may not have Shanny's resume but Kyle on the other hand... if it weren't for good old fashioned American nepotism, well... lets just say... Kyle might still be a graduate assistant at UCLA, having to earn his shot at one of the most coveted sports jobs in the world, without daddy making phone calls for him in the process.

I too am sick of all the McNabb regrets and after thoughts but I have been saying what Musgrave said in this article since Donovan got benched last season. It was stupid to not tweak Kyle's precious system to take advantage of some of Dmac's physical gifts and It was equally idiotic to trade for a guy in the twilight of his career, thinking you were gonna coach him up for one last run. If the Shannys had reviewed the 14 years of tape available of Donovan's pro career and realized after doing so that Dmac needed to improve his technique after playing for so long, why make the trade? I mean c'mon skins nation... if these guys are so smart, we would have never been robbed by the eagles in the first place last year when Shanny signed off on that trade... and whether you wanna believe it or not... Shanny had to have signed off on the McNabb trade.

According to reports out of the Shanahan camp, Shanny wouldn't have taken the redskins head coaching job without veto power on all trades, draft picks and signings. So there you have it. How did Shanny miss the mark on this one? I'll tell you how... NEPOTISM... Nepotism works well with small mom & pop operations where trust is paramount. However, in the fortune 500 world where millions, billions and in some cases trillions of dollars are at stake... nepotism can become very awkward and uncomfortable when its time to report son's mistakes to daddy, who will normally take son's side, by the way. I have one last parting shot for Kyle and I promise no more Sanford & Son references ever again, unless my hand is forced... "Run the ball! Big Dummy!" (in my best Fred Sanford/Redd Foxx voice)

I'm rooting for the Shannys to get it right this time. I'm hoping the Donovan trade will serve as this regime's one and only mulligan. But please... let's stop pretending the head coach of the redskins is a Hall of Fame coach at this point in his career and therefore when he speaks its as though, the gods have spoken. I think the jury is still out on that one and I hope for his sake that fostering his son's career in coaching wont be what sabotages his ability to make it to the Hall one day. I hope I'm wrong when its all said and done because that would mean Shanny & Son may have picked up a few titles while they were in DC, silencing all the criitics such as myself in the process.

Hail to the Redskins!

Kyle Shanahan had the perfect situation in Houston. If anything, his dad can be blamed for spiriting him away to a far less ideal situation and damaging his reputation. Kyle Shanahan, if he purely cared about accolades and money, would have stayed in Houston and preferred the "protection" of Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub over the "protection" of his father. .

Mike Shanahan was able to milk a 1000 yard season out of Ashley Lelie, 4000+ yd seasons out of Jay Cutler and Jake Plummer, and had Clinton Portis finish off seasons with a 5.5 ypc and 1500+ yards. He also helped Steve Young obtain a Super Bowl record.

When did Sanford & Son... I mean Shanahan & Son prove they know how to run a winning offense? Shanny won two titles on Elway's back before he screwed the broncos up so royaly that he managed to get himself fired after Elway retired. Kyle, on the other hand, coached the #1 offense in the NFL when he was offensive coordinator in Houston a few seasons back but he did such a good job, unfortunately, the Texans didn't even make the playoffs that season. (That darn running game thingy will get you every time)

Hail to the Redskins!

so how exactly did Jim Zorn work out? i mean he played quarterback so he's obviously a better coach than the two knuckleheads we got here, right?

as for the Elway carried him there nonsense that is constantly brought up, how many super bowls did elway win before shanny was HC? surely since he could have won at will with any coach he should have won a bunch with a respected coach like Dan Reeves, right?

and since you generally have a disconnect from the real world, "who you know, not what you know" is pretty common practice in most jobs. to say that musgrave got any job "on his own merit" and not because someone he knew put in a good word for him is just you saying something to try to make a point.

you have no idea if it's true or not, you just said it and assume it's true.

---------- Post added August-7th-2011 at 06:51 PM ----------

so how exactly did Jim Zorn work out? i mean he played quarterback so he's obviously a better coach than the two knuckleheads we got here, right?

as for the Elway carried him there nonsense that is constantly brought up, how many super bowls did elway win before shanny was HC? surely since he could have won at will with any coach he should have won a bunch with a respected coach like Dan Reeves, right?

and since you generally have a disconnect from the real world, "who you know, not what you know" is pretty common practice in most jobs. to say that musgrave got any job "on his own merit" and not because someone he knew put in a good word for him is just you saying something to try to make a point.

you have no idea if it's true or not, you just said it and assume it's true.

edit:

as for mcnabb, well we'll see how all that warm and fluffy talk is come week 8 when they're mired in mediocrity with 1 good play a game to every 5 short hopped/overthrown balls to wide open receivers.

the system you're in doesn't affect how poorly you throw the ball to wide open guys, poor footwork and bad mechanics will do that. not seeing wide receivers who are open or understanding what's actually going on in the offense is the result of not caring about learning anything because you have an ego about your underwhelming career compared to what some people make you out to be

1.) The Texans were a game out of the playoffs. The only reason they weren't in the playoffs is because, basically, the Jets backdoored their way into the playoffs when Indy chose to rest it's starters in the second to last game, and then the Bengals more or less imploded the same in the following week. The Texans ran off four straight wins, including a win over the Patriots, to put themselves into playoff position. If Indy doesn't rest their starters, the Jets don't get in. The Texans do. Period.

2.) ...Again, I have to ask the question; how many Super Bowls did John Elway win without Mike Shanahan as his head coach? Taking nothing away from Elway, Mike helped build a Broncos team around him to finally help Elway to get over the hump and win his two rings. And he won another ring with the 49ers as OC. Clearly he has to know something about something.

People act like Elway had four rings before Shanahan, or that Terrell Davis was a first round draft pick, or that the offensive line was brilliant, the defense was top 10. Mike built that team that won the Super Bowl. Winning four rings is hard. Period. Getting back there is tough. Finding the guys to do it is tougher.

Archived