Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cotchery worth a look?

coachreiter

Says the one guy on the planet that would take Comb Kelly over Deshawn Jackson. :doublefacepalm:

Aside from Kelly's injury's, just what has Jackson got over him? Speed, although Kelly's no slouch, and then your struggling.

Talent wise, Malcolm Kelly, in mine and many at the time's opinion, was the best of the '08 class and why we took the major gamble on that talent and potential over his knee problem at the time that had him fall.

Hail.

Aside from Kelly's injury's, just what has Jackson got over him? Speed, although Kelly's no slouch, and then your struggling.

Talent wise, Malcolm Kelly, in mine and many at the time's opinion, was the best of the '08 class and why we took the major gamble on that talent and potential over his knee problem at the time that had him fall.

Hail.

i

i

i

i

i

i

i

i

i

i

i

i

i

v <><

In what? Career stats? He's played 2 more seasons. Cotchery has easily averaged more yards and td's over his career

You stated that Gaffney was nothing but a 3rd WR....and you're right. He has been.

So if this is the case, what does it say about Cotchery (who has been a starter) that his career numbers in most categories trail Gaffney?

Gaffney...the career 3rd WR....

Just something to consider

Why are people never satisfied with what we have?

We're building for the future, we've just re-signed Moss, have Armstrong coming off a darn good rookie year; and have assembled a young, quality core of 6 wide outs 24 or under who all have a very good chance of playing some part in the future of this team.

The ridiculous, IMHO, swap of a very promising 23 year old DE for a 30 year old receiver was bad enough, as was the other 30 year old WR pick-up we've made this off-season when we're rebuilding. This would just take the biscuit.

Oh, that's a big ass NO to Cotchery or ANY other receiver, vet. or not, in case anyone was wondering.

Hail.

I agree. But it's standard practice around here. ANYBODY with any kind of name gets cut, and people are gonna think we should "have a look."

The Jets are a contending team and they don't want him. Why does anybody think he'd be a good piece for a rebuild?

Are you trying to prove me right? Not counting Green, only 40% have busted and 40% have become all world receivers. I like those odds better than what you get in the 3rd round.

Not proving you right, just saying its about as likely for a top 5 WR to be a bust as it is to be superstar.

You can still find good WRs in the 3rd round. In 2009, the Steelers took Mike Wallace in the 3rd.

Cotchery, if brought in, would only compete for a spot that Armstrong of Gaffney would occupy. I can't see this team carrying a slew of veteran WRs and not having some younger guys, particularly for special teams purposes. Cotchery used to be pretty good and still is not that old, but struggled with injuries last year. The fact he was outright cut by a contender suggests he's still not healthy. Bringing him in on a low money deal is ok, but I question whether Cotchery would want to play here and I suspect there's a good chance he does not even make the team.

As much as I hope Hankerson is the real deal, he's a 3rd round pick whose done NOTHING. Wide receiver bust all the time in the NFL. He's got to show me something before we anoint him.

i mean, most of your previous posts are just dribble but this? you can give every other teams wr's the benefit of the doubt even though they haven't done anything, but not ours, thanks JLC

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 10:17 AM ----------

I stopped reading here. My goodness...:facepalm:

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 09:15 AM ----------

Yes, because I believe he's special. I'm not saying I couldn't be wrong but top 5 picks at WR usually hit more than 3rd rounders.

:facepalm:

As much as I hope Hankerson is the real deal, he's a 3rd round pick whose done NOTHING. Wide receiver bust all the time in the NFL. He's got to show me something before we anoint him.

Hankerson put up some great numbers last year at the U... 72 Catches for 1156 yards and 13 touchdowns. I think this kid was a steal at the third round.

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 10:26 AM ----------

We don't need Cotchery, between Moss, Stallworth, Gafney, Armstong, Hankerson & Kelly we have that position covered, that's not even accounting for all the other guys in camp going out for WR.

We definitely don't need to add another receiver into that mix. He will only take away reps and coaching attention on an already shortened offseason for a team that already has more than 50 percent of it's players learning a new system.

i mean, most of your previous posts are just dribble but this? you can give every other teams wr's the benefit of the doubt even though they haven't done anything, but not ours, thanks JLC

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 10:17 AM ----------

:facepalm:

What WRs have I gave the benefit of the doubt to? AJ Green? Does that make me a bad fan because I'd trade Hankerson for Green right now? I think it's called being objective.

BTW, it's "drivel" not dribble. Dribble is what's coming down your chin.:ols:

ics there in

BTW, it's "drivel" not dribble. Dribble is what's coming down your chin.:ols:

Dribble/ drivel/ slaver etc. Just different ways to connote what your saying in more peoples opinions than mine it seems.

But meh, this isn't a forum interested in different colloquialisms or semantics there in.

Stick to the bunkum that everyone else is great and we suck. It's easier that way.

Hail.

i dont think we need cotchery, we have enough vets pushing the youngsters for playing time anyways.

here is what the nfl east blogger has to say about the rankings of the wide receiver corps in the east.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/27160/giants-wr-corps-is-divisions-best

im not gonna argue that with someone that says we have the worst receiving corps in the East. however, for this season id disagree, and rank us third behind the giants and cowboys. and i know for sure that we dont have near the worst receiving corps in the league, as some have said.

deshaun jackson is flashy and pretty good, but he has not shown me enough to be a number 1 receiver. until he puts up numbers like tana did in 05', i reserve high praise. he also is somewhat of a malcontent. i really like maclin, but he has been out of it with mono for over 2 months. i trust he'll come back, but he might have a down season. i like avant as a number 3 or 4 receiver.

i think we have an underrated wide receiver staff. sure moss has lost a step and isnt a true number 1 receiver. that doesnt mean he isnt productive, consistent, reliable, and needs to be gameplanned for. id take moss over jackson for this season. gaffney is no slouch, and does just fine at the number 2/3 spot. another hardworking, consistent receiver. armstrong, who did very well for a rookie last year, has shown the ability to stretch the field. after that we have a lot of promise. i think hankerson will be very good, and that he will contribute this season. niles paul, who i think will make the team, also shows a lot of promise. im not gonna go beyond those guys, cuz im not sure if they'll make the team.

i guess i just like our reliable vets in moss and gaffney coupled with the upside of our younger guys more than the eagles staff.

Some people are craaaazyyy. We most certainly do have "close" to the worst wr corp in the league. I mean at this point Moss is number one and AA #2? Sure there are some teams with worst, but not many and not much worst.

I, along with everyone else, of course project Hankerson to be a stud, but he is still a rookie. If we want Beck to succeed we need to give him the best wideouts we can get. It is crucial to surround a new QB with the best talent to make him comfortable and make things easier on him. As long as he is healthy (I think he had back issues last year and surgery in the offseason) Jericho is one of the most reliable, consistent receivers in the league and a good team guy to boot. He would be our second best WR on day 1. We have plenty of room and cap space why the hell not bring him in??!?!? I'd rather see him on the roster than little thug mouse Brandon Banks.

qualifier - I was at N.C. State with Jericho and he is just a solid all around player/dude so I am partial. I doubt we would go after him anyways but it would be a good idea.

Some people are craaaazyyy. We most certainly do have "close" to the worst wr corp in the league. I mean at this point Moss is number one and AA #2? Sure there are some teams with worst, but not many and not much worst.

"Close" to the worst and worst are 2 different things though. One person said we have the WORST WR corps in the league. I strongly disagree with that. Our WRs aren't great, but they are far from the worst. I've also yet to see anything that suggests we have the worst. In our division? Sure you could probably say that. In the entire league? No way.

I guess the age 30 is old now? Just being 30 doesnt mean the players career is over or declining. Does that mean we cut Fletcher? I understand the team is getting younger and taking on a youth movement but we still need some players with some true NFL experience.

We have WRs with "true NFL experience", Santana Moss, Jabar Gaffney.

Heck, our WR coach has NFL experience. :)

Archived