Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cotchery worth a look?

coachreiter

Tell me exactly what the others have got that's better going forward than what we have. Albeit ours is young potential in the main. But the quality within that is up there with everyone else in the division save for one or two players IMHO.

Wide out is one area we are set at going forward.

Hail.

I can't believe you're serious. ALL of our division rivals have YOUNG 1's and 2's. Our best receiver is maybe a #3 on the giants, eagles and cowboys.

Niners - Crabtree , Morgan , Braylon Edwards

Crabtree is a stud, Morgan is alright, and Braylon is alright as long as he's mentally stable and not dropping anything

Didn't know they had Edwards.

How can you say Crabtree is a stud? What has he done? And he's hurt already.

That would appear to be the crux of it.

Hail.

I agree. Sure our WRs aren't great, but they are FAR from the worst in the league.

I can't believe you're serious. ALL of our division rivals have YOUNG 1's and 2's. Our best receiver is maybe a #3 on the giants, eagles and cowboys.

I think our young receivers are talented. They're just unproven....so its not really a fair comparison imo.

Lets discuss this in a year or two and I think you'll be singing a different tune. :2cents:

The Eagles top guy is who, Jackson? A dude with what, the second highest number of drops in the league last year? Dallas' top young gun is Bryant, an absolute lunatic malcontent I wouldn't touch if he offered to pay for free. The youth behind those are way down the depth chart at both ball clubs.

NY's Manningham and Nicks I already said would be two of the very few I'd consider taking if offered.

Hail.

Moss was 10th in yards last year and 4th in catches. But apparently he isn't as good as Crabtree, Stevie Johnson, Steve Smith, DHB, Mike Williams, or Sidney Rice.

What other WRs were in the top 10 in both catches and yards: Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerlad, Reggie Wayne, and Roddy White.

The Bills have who Stevie Johnson? Give me Moss over him anyday of the week

The also have Lee Evans who is easily better than 2-6 on our team.

Seahawks have Mike Williams and Sidney Rice. Williams was out of the league until last year and Rice has had one good season with a QB who was playing out of his mind. I'd easily take our WRs.

Broncos have Brandon Llyod and Eddie Royal. Both have had 1 good year in their careers, give me Moss over them.

These are interesting arguments. I guess I see where you're going. You seem to value Santana like it's 2005 and he's just so good that he's better than entire receiver corps by himself.

49ers have who? Crabtree has done NOTHING since he's been drafted. I can't even name their WRs.

The fact that you can't name the 49ers wide receivers says more about you than it does about them.

Sure AJ Green could be good, but he has no QB and he's never played a down in the NFL. Who knows what he'll do. So give me our WR corps.

The Panthers have Steve Smith and that's it. I'd take Moss alone over Smith and the rest of their WRs don't scare me.

Who do the Vikings have besides Harvin? Bernard Berrian, please.

I'd take Green, Smith and Harvin over anyone we got...the rest of their corps are debatable.

And the Raiders...really? DHB is garbage and they have NO ONE else.

Have you looked at any of these WRs on those teams or are you just dead set on saying our WRs suck?

Raiders have youth and speed. Murphy and Ford have potential.

And yes, I have looked at their WRs...I'm the one who knows who plays for the 49ers.

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 08:50 AM ----------

I think our young receivers are talented. They're just unproven....so its not really a fair comparison imo.

Lets discuss this in a year or two and I think you'll be singing a different tune. :2cents:

It's fair to say that they are MUCH better at wide receiver until we produce a single #1 WR. They've got proven studs. We've got late round picks that probably wont be on the team this time next year.

The Eagles top guy is who, Jackson? A dude with what, the second highest number of drops in the league last year? Dallas' top young gun is Bryant, an absolute lunatic malcontent I wouldn't touch if he offered to pay for free. The youth behind those are way down the depth chart at both ball clubs.

NY's Manningham and Nicks I already said would be two of the very few I'd consider taking if offered.

Hail.

Eagles -Jackson is one of the most dangerous receivers in the league. Maclin is a VERY a good #2.

Giants- Nicks is a stud. Steve Smith is a great possession receiver.

Cowboys- Bryant was a beast as a rookie...he's got scary potential. The only thing keeping him from being a perennially probowler is his ten cent head. And they've got a 1a in Miles Austin.

Everyone one of those guys are better than our #1.

I was thinking of Leonard Hankerson who I expect to develop into a number one.

As much as I hope Hankerson is the real deal, he's a 3rd round pick whose done NOTHING. Wide receiver bust all the time in the NFL. He's got to show me something before we anoint him.

Eagles -Jackson is one of the most dangerous receivers in the league. Maclin is a VERY a good #2.

Cowboys- Bryant was a beast as a rookie...he's got scary potential. The only thing keeping him from being a perennially probowler is his ten cent head. And they've got a 1a in Miles Austin.

I agree with you about that.

I don't think our WR corps is bad as a whole but we don't (until proven otherwise) have a legit, young, #1.

But with that being said, Cotchery's not going to fill that role either.

I'd rather focus on developing guys like Hnakerson, Kelly (assuming he's healthy) etc.

What's so special about Cotchery? 41 catches for 433 yards...I figure Hankerson could probably give us that this year.

No one has said that Cotchery is a stud but he's actually proven he can play in the league. I'd take him over Donte "vehicular homicide" Stallworth and Gaffeny.

Believe it or not Gaffney and Cotchery are basically the same WR.

I disagree. Gaffney has never been more than a #3 WR in this league at any time. Cotchery had a few nice seasons before the Jets brought in guys like Edwards and Holmes. Cotchery can also return punts and kicks.

The also have Lee Evans who is easily better than 2-6 on our team.

These are interesting arguments. I guess I see where you're going. You seem to value Santana like it's 2005 and he's just so good that he's better than entire receiver corps by himself.

The fact that you can't name the 49ers wide receivers says more about you than it does about them.

I'd take Green, Smith and Harvin over anyone we got...the rest of their corps are debatable.

Raiders have youth and speed. Murphy and Ford have potential.

And yes, I have looked at their WRs...I'm the one who knows plays for the 49ers.

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 08:50 AM ----------

It's fair to say that they are MUCH better at wide receiver until we produce a single #1 WR. They've got proven studs. We've got late round picks that probably wont be on the team this time next year.

Lee Evans really?? You say I value Moss like its 2005 and then you throw out Lee Evans??? LOL Wow you have got to be kidding me. Moss had more catches and almost as many yards last year as Evans has the last 2 years.

So the 49ers who have Crabtree who can't stay healthy, Josh Morgan who's done nothing, and Edwards who had 1 good year and can't catch the ball. So they're better than us how?

You say the Raiders have speed and youth but then dismiss our youth with Hankerson, Paul, and Armstrong.

What has Smith done better than Moss lately? He had half as many catches and yards as Moss last season. But Smith is better right?

Harvin is better how exactly? He's never had a 1,000yd season and hasn't played a full season in his 2 years in the league. And you can't seriously tell me you'd rather have Bernard Berrian over Gaffney, Armstrong, or Hankerson.

And how do I value Moss like its 2005? I gave you his numbers LAST YEAR! Only 5 WRs were in the top 10 in catches and receiving yards and Moss was one of those 5.

I, like many others at the time, believe Malcolm Kelly was the best receiver to come out of the '08 draft. Jackson's had the start on him in games played due to injury, but I'd still take Kelly any day of the week over a good, but boneheaded receiver in Jackson with very questionable hands for someone so highly rated. I missed Macklin, sorry. My bad. Add him to the list I'd consider. But then Hankerson coming out has as much if not greater potential, so I'll stay pat.

Nicks and Maningham I've acknowledged. Smith? Is he any better than Kelly or Hankerson's potential? Again, happy with what we have.

Bryant was a 'beast' as a rookie? Your ******* me right? 45 catches for 561 yards and 6 TD's does not a "beast" make. Hell, compare that to Armstrong in his rookie year as regards playing here last year: 44 catches, 871 yards and 3 TD's. Hell, you can't even say about Bryant's returning as our undrafted rookie Banks blows him out of the water in that regard. Austin as I mentioned I like, but not at 27 in a rebuild over the great prospects we have.

When any of those guys have put up the numbers Moss has on a consistent basis get back to me.

Your seriously selling our guys, both proven and potential, way short man.

Hail.

I, like many others at the time, believe Malcolm Kelly was the best receiver to come out of the '08 draft. Jackson's had the start on him in games played due to injury, but I'd still take Kelly any day of the week over a good, but boneheaded receiver in Jackson with very questionable hands for someone so highly rated.

I stopped reading here. My goodness...:facepalm:

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 09:15 AM ----------

Yet you say AJ Green is already better than any WR we have???

Yes, because I believe he's special. I'm not saying I couldn't be wrong but top 5 picks at WR usually hit more than 3rd rounders.

Production-wise Gaffney comes out on top.

In what? Career stats? He's played 2 more seasons. Cotchery has easily averaged more yards and td's over his career.

---------- Post added August-5th-2011 at 09:21 AM ----------

And yet our rookies, who are at the same stage as Green, just pro "potential", aren't worth a damn.

Go figure.

Hail.

Says the one guy on the planet that would take Comb Kelly over Deshawn Jackson. :doublefacepalm:

Yes, because I believe he's special. I'm not saying I couldn't be wrong but top 5 picks at WR usually hit more than 3rd rounders.

Well that's tough considering since 2000, only 6 WRs have been picked in the top 5.

AJ Green

Calvin Johnson

Braylon Edwards

Larry Fitzgerald

Charles Rogers

Peter Warrick

So out of 6, 2 are complete busts, Edwards has been a dissapointment, and Green is TBD.

Well that's tough considering since 2000, only 6 WRs have been picked in the top 5.

AJ Green

Calvin Johnson

Braylon Edwards

Larry Fitzgerald

Charles Rogers

Peter Warrick

So out of 6, 2 are complete busts, Edwards has been a dissapointment, and Green is TBD.

Are you trying to prove me right? Not counting Green, only 40% have busted and 40% have become all world receivers. I like those odds better than what you get in the 3rd round.

Archived