Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per ESPN980 Chris Russell Stephon Heyer signs with Raiders

OxonHillSkinsFan89

Surprised.

Heyer's versatility alone makes him a very worthy backup player in this league. Though he clearly wasn't able to hold down a starting role for a season, he had the ability to keep you afloat at multiple spots. Without him, we have to do something else on the line.

Yep. There were times when it looked like Stephon was going to lockdown a starting spot, but just couldn't get over the hump. I thought he was a very, viable backup and felt comfortable with him coming in. Some guys just seem to strive in that role. This is a loss for us.

Heyer wasn't a top rated tackle in this league but he was here. What's the plan for a backup now?

We have a bunch of young guys in camp and maybe one of them can step up - I think Artis Hicks is probably first guy up at both tackle and guard at the moment. I do think though we will pick up another tackle and a guard maybe in the late camp cuts to fill out the depth.

Lets face it Heyer was just a body even as depth.

---------- Post added August-3rd-2011 at 10:25 AM ----------

Yep. There were times when it looked like Stephon was going to lockdown a starting spot, but just couldn't get over the hump. I thought he was a very, viable backup and felt comfortable with him coming in. Some guys just seem to strive in that role. This is a loss for us.

I doubt many of the QBs felt comfortable watching Heyer come in.

He had some ability but was very inconsistent and because he lacks athletic ability tended to lunge a bit, lose his feet and failed to react to double moves. He looked better at guard than tackle - he just struggled in space which is a bad thing for a tackle.

Archived