Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: Practice report: Redskins analysis

brandymac27

Found this in RBN and thought it was a good read:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/07/practice-report-redskins-analysis

1. It’s impossible to get a good feel for how guys are really doing, with nobody in pads. And it’s hard to tell if a player is just rusty or struggling if he’s not doing well. So keep that in mind and don’t go into hysterics when you hear that John Beck was misfiring on his deep passes. In fact, he didn’t hit any. Some passes were wobbly; others were just overthrown or wide. On one, he ran a bootleg to the right and threw back deep left for a wide open Anthony Armstrong. I mean wide open. But he missed him by a good 10 yards. Missed on several other deep throws, too. In some cases there was good coverage (particularly from DeAngelo Hall). Beck nearly connected on another one to Armstrong. But the ball caused Armstrong to wait for a split second and that gave Chris Horton enough time to recover and break up the pass. Just file this away as something to watch as camp progresses.

2. One reason O.J. Atogwe is going to help: his ability to cover in the slot. He’s done that a couple times already in practice. Why is that important? When teams run spread looks you need your safeties to be able to cover. As ex-Redskin and current National Football Post analyst Matt Bowen talked to me about when they signed Atogwe, this enables the defense to stay in their base – and to be more versatile.

3. Again…no pads. But Artis Hicks had a rough go of it in the one-on-one work. Gotta let these guys get back into football shape and even vets need to re-learn the fundamentals, but the problem is that Hicks had a tough time of it last year too. Adam Carriker got inside of him twice and rookie Jarvis Jenkins one time bull rushed him several yards deep. Jenkins appears to have some power, though Will Montgomery was able to anchor against him.

4. Love watching Brian Orakpo in the one-on-one work against offensive linemen. Not sure Selvish Capers would agree. He would have been flagged for holding after he grabbed Orakpo around the neck on one rush. Another time he knocked him off-balance and drew another hold. Vonnie Holliday got Capers later. Yes, Capers will need to look better in pads. This is where the lack of offseason work has hurt him. In essence, what he’s going through now is what he would have worked out back in May.

5. Anyway, back to Orakpo who was matched against Trent Williams much of the time. Orakpo stays so low that he can explode into a player’s chest. But this is where Williams excels; he can get knocked off-balance and recover, which he did on a couple occasions this morning. Once, Orakpo stayed low – real low – trying to get around the end. Against some tackles that would result in an advantage. But Williams was able to bend his knees without losing any quickness and prevented Orakpo from getting the edge. Another time Orakpo knocked Williams back, but he was able to right himself. It’s not like he was handling Orakpo, but he was recovering.

click link for rest of article...

Beck had better get ready.. Never in his life has he been analyzed like he's going to be this year as the starter in Washington.Being the man in D.C creates huge expectations..

I have the feeling that if he is in fact our starting QB, as the season progresses, he'll be better than we all expected him to be. I figure if we can deal with all of the other QB fiascos we've had in the past, we can definitely, at the very least, give Beck a chance to prove himself.

Other than that, I'm loving what I've read about Orakpo, and it seems Trent Williams is doing pretty well also.

Other than that, I'm loving what I've read about Orakpo, and it seems Trent Williams is doing pretty well also.

From all the reports I've read about him, he's in better shape, with a desire to get better. Been studying himself through the lockout, finding flaws in his game, and fixing them.

Not expecting him to be a top 5 LT just yet, but he'll be a whole lot better than last year, and top 5 within the next 4 years.

From all the reports I've read about him, he's in better shape, with a desire to get better. Been studying himself through the lockout, finding flaws in his game, and fixing them.

Not expecting him to be a top 5 LT just yet, but he'll be a whole lot better than last year, and top 5 within the next 4 years.

This is good to hear. I think when you spend that much time trying to improve, it just shows you're really in it to win it. It's refreshing to hear, and I'm as confident as you that he's only gonna get better and better. I can't wait to watch them play!! Seems like we have to wait forever :(

This is good to hear. I think when you spend that much time trying to improve, it just shows you're really in it to win it. It's refreshing to hear, and I'm as confident as you that he's only gonna get better and better. I can't wait to watch them play!! Seems like we have to wait forever :(

2 weeks, brother. Stay strong! :point2sky

So the O-Line will be Williams, Lichtensteiger, Montgomery, Chester, Brown/ maybe Harris? I'm really looking forward to how they do. Because during the Titans game our O-line was playing average maybe above with Montgomery at center and Heyer at RG.

4. Love watching Brian Orakpo in the one-on-one work against offensive linemen. Not sure Selvish Capers would agree. He would have been flagged for holding after he grabbed Orakpo around the neck on one rush

Not true. As we saw all last year, holding Brian Orakpo around the neck is completely legal and seldom results in a flag.

A little off topic, but:

What ever happened to that great ExtremeSkins training camp coverage we had last year? It usually was day by day and the writeups were excellent. I really miss those.

I think Murf did 'em. Would really love to see them come back! :)

A little off topic, but:

What ever happened to that great ExtremeSkins training camp coverage we had last year? It usually was day by day and the writeups were excellent. I really miss those.

I think Murf did 'em. Would really love to see them come back! :)

Good question. Today is an off day so there wouldn't be anything anyway but good question.

Good read. Thanks for posting Brandy.

Keim never pulls any punches so what he observes is good enough for me. If only other journo's were as hard working and thorough as that guy.

Sure gona' be a ride with Beck, whichever way it turns out.

Hail.

Are you a green street hooligan? :)

I like Monty. Not sold on Lich and Chester. They might be quick and athletic, but they've gotta really grasp the scheme to avoid getting bowled over constantly.

I think having Monty in there instead of Casey will help both guys - hope so anyway.

---------- Post added July-31st-2011 at 11:07 AM ----------

Capers is a waste of space

He'll have some competition with Xavier Fulton, Clint Oldenburg and Willie Harris.

Archived