Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Adam Schefter : Cullen Jenkins signs with Eagles

VetMinimum+Incentives

I've seen that label applied to the Redskins, but it's always been a poor summary of the Skins moves. Somehow, the team was playing fantasy football by signing mainly no name free agents (outside of Haynesworth and Trotter in the last 10 years) and trading for poor performing vets (Lloyd, Duckett, Taylor, Brunell). The simple fact is every move has to be evaluated in isolation. And the simple fact of acquiring players not through the draft is not per se a bad thing. Just ask the New Orleans Saints who rode a Super Bowl on free agents/trades like Brees, Sharper, Vilma, and so forth. It's about acquiring the right players. Whether the Eagles' moves work out remains to me seen. But to oversimplify anything like that is just poor analysis IMO.

I agree with that. The issue I have with the Eagles' off-season moves is that they over strengthened one or two positions and let the other holes they had just sit. For instance, their corners and DEs look unbeatable, but their LBers and safeties are pedestrian, and their OTs aren't great (I'd say the only reason Peters has improved is because the QB is now watching his side, so basically he's been moved to RT). I wouldn't want either of their RTs protecting my QBs blindside, though I'd take Harris over Justice, Harris is injured a lot (currently as well).

They also replaced both of their veteran ST guys (K and P) by signing a couple rookies. I'm glad those rookies were awesome in college, but that definitely doesn't equal success in the league, and I'm sure they expect the rookies to have some struggles but when you've obviously set yourself up for a SB run, well, we of all teams know how easy it is to lose games due to a ST gaffe'.

I also think the contracts they gave Jenkins and Asomugha will put them in a tough position the next few years. They made the same mistake we did, figuring by making one part of the team impossibly strong, they'd make up for all the other deficiencies they had. (Especially with depth)

I agree with that. The issue I have with the Eagles' off-season moves is that they over strengthened one or two positions and let the other holes they had just sit. For instance, their corners and DEs look unbeatable

I wouldn't go that far. Their corner's are rude, but they've got a 1 way d-line. Cullen Jenkins can't stop the run to save his life.

I wouldn't go that far. Their corner's are rude, but they've got a 1 way d-line. Cullen Jenkins can't stop the run to save his life.

I know, I'm just trying to talk them up so that when I point out their flaws people aren't like "so you don't thing they're ANY good, you're a Skins homer."

That tends to happen around here.

Yeah, the Eagles aren't unbeatable. They will have trouble against teams that can run the ball and have strong TEs. They will also have issues with teams that can pressure AND contain Vick. However, they are still the best team in our division and should win 11 or 12 games (in my opinion).

I think they may struggle a bit early but will get better as the year goes on and they start to gel. Their defense though could be an issue all year long - new inexperienced defensive coordinator and a weakness at linebacker. As you say teams are going to run at them and challenge those linebackers in the passing game.

Vick looked terrible last night - it is preseason mind but still ......

last night I watched and thought "It would be great if this is how they looked all year....knowing they will still be good. The best in the NFC or a dream team? I don't know. I think Aaron Rogers still is getting better and Green Bay's M.A.S.H. unit coming back is like signing a bunch of FA's who already know your system.

As far as the AFC, New England looks crazy good already. I don't know what the Steelers and Colts will look like opening day. Lot of questions there. Probably still a step ahead of Philly regardless.

This is the all-in year. I think if they fall short, Reid might opt to move on.

Last night was not an aberration. Philly will struggle to stop the run all year. Their LBs are too small. Their Dline is thin with regards to depth. Teams that can run the ball and use the underneath routes to TEs will be able to abuse them all year.

If Philly can't get to your QB without bringing the house, they will struggle - even against the pass. They have 2 CBs that LOVE to gamble in Samuel and DRC. Nnamdi will lock his man down in man, but Philly loves to play zone, something he hasn't done since college. Pitt and Balt provided a blueprint on how to beat the Eagles in the first 2 PS games - ball control. Philly had 6 snaps in the entire 1st quarter last night. They had the ball for 5 possessions (punt, INT, INT, INT, knee) in the entire 1st half, and one of those was 1 kneel-down before the half.

Archived