Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

On Jenkins, would you feel good if...

Art

We haven't heard anything certain as to what happened from Jenkins likely signing to Bowen here and Jenkins not coming. But, it seems as if we were very close. Honestly, I don't care WHO is running the team, if there's a guy we want, we get that guy. We always have. We always will, so long as Dan funds the guarantees as substantially.

So, it seems likely to me we wanted Jenkins, had him targeted as our top wish at end, engaged with him, moved the contract to terms he'd accept and his side said, "Yep, absolutely, Cullen Jenkins is a Skin."

At this point, someone either called Jenkins, or Jenkins' agent decided to bluff and called the team saying there was unexpected interest in him, and he wanted a bit more money. Rather than even addressing it, the Skins hung up, contacted the agent for Bowen and signed him within minutes, moving quickly to the No. 2 remaining option on our free agent defensive end wish list.

If the above happened, how cool would it be as fans to see that level of discipline and flexibility? Me thinks pretty good :).

If the above happened, how cool would it be as fans to see that level of discipline and flexibility? Me thinks pretty good :).

Thank you :applause:...

I got into a lengthy debate about Shanahan and Allen overpaying for Jenkins. My view was that Allen has yet to give out a big, inflated contract...they always seemed more than reasonable and workable. Also, Allen seems the type to let FAs walk away from D.C. without a signed contract...unlike Snyder and Vinny, who seemed to relish landing the "big one" a bit too much.

That's why all the advanced worry and hand-wringing seemed unnecessary imo...Allen's not gonna **** us over for the "big splash". If we get a guy like Cullen Jenkins, it will be with a workable contract, not some obscene, bloated and over-inflated fiasco because Allen and Shanahan have stars in their eyes. So I had zero problem with them going after him...because they were more than willing to lose him if necessary.

Absolutely love it. Whole new direction at the top, and boy did we need it.

I think we handled it like this.

And I dig that.

Great and hilarious gif, but you should probably delete it due to the f-bomb on the whiteboard, before the mods delete it for you.

If plan A doesn't work out, go to plan B which is just as beneficial. It seems if that what the Redskins front office did. It seems if the Redskins had a solid offer for Jenkins, and Jenkins and his agent wanted more. Bruce and Mike said no, and moved on to Bowens. But there may be a chance the Redskins could still land Cullen Jenkins. We'll see what happens.

The concept of this thread seems to be that we're being conservative in free agency, and cites giving a guy with 5 career sacks in 4 season a 5 year contract with over 27 million an example of that conservatism. .

You obviously don't know much about that "guy with 5 career sacks in 4 seasons" to have described him that way.

We haven't heard anything certain as to what happened from Jenkins likely signing to Bowen here and Jenkins not coming. But, it seems as if we were very close. Honestly, I don't care WHO is running the team, if there's a guy we want, we get that guy. We always have. We always will, so long as Dan funds the guarantees as substantially.

So, it seems likely to me we wanted Jenkins, had him targeted as our top wish at end, engaged with him, moved the contract to terms he'd accept and his side said, "Yep, absolutely, Cullen Jenkins is a Skin."

At this point, someone either called Jenkins, or Jenkins' agent decided to bluff and called the team saying there was unexpected interest in him, and he wanted a bit more money. Rather than even addressing it, the Skins hung up, contacted the agent for Bowen and signed him within minutes, moving quickly to the No. 2 remaining option on our free agent defensive end wish list.

Or maybe we just got outbid. Your scenario is completely speculative.

In the negotiations Redskins are now like, "you're the *****! we're the daddy." No more do the players/free agents run this team and get what they want when they want.

:ols: Are you crazy? Fat Al says Hi.

If that happened, it would be a great thing. Refreshing competence. The truth is, we don't know what happened. Maybe he decided he wanted to play for a contender, and would only play here if we gave him extraordinary money.

The only difference between Art's scenario and yours is that, in Art's scenario, Jenkins' agent is bluffing about someone offering more money than the skins lol...

Who cares if it was a bluff or if it was real...the important things is that the Skins' FO didn't blink either way.

It would, sorry, it 'feels' fricking fantastic.

No longer are we being held to ransom by greedy players and their agents looking to get one last mega pay day off the back of the owners (sadly well earnt) reputation. I've had issues with the age of some of these guys allied to a re-build (Jenkins would of been another); but the Redskins being bullied and over paying to get their men is the farthest concern from my mind.

You either want to play for us on our terms, or not at all.

Yup, utterly fantastic to have this professionalism again from my team.

Hail.

If that happened, it would be a great thing. Refreshing competence. The truth is, we don't know what happened. Maybe he decided he wanted to play for a contender, and would only play here if we gave him extraordinary money.

Depends if you believe the insiders or not. They believed a deal was agreed upon, handshake. Then the agent played some games to extract some more blood from the stone. The next update was that we had signed Bowen and later news from multiple sources said the deal was dead.

With how on-point the insiders have been the last few days, I don't see a reason to not believe Art's view is a pretty close approximation to what happened. And if so, I agree, that's great news.

The contracts are great and the turnover is impressive too. Lots of guys replaced with younger more talented options and we still have money for a couple more OL and a new deal for Landry (don't want to be paying him after a season in our new D with Atogwe covering his back).

Bruce is impressive.

First, if he wanted to play for a contender he never would have had his agent get into serious negotiations with the Redskins to begin with. Second, Jenkins has already hinted publicly in the past that he's hoping the Skins make him an offer--which also goes against the "he wants to play on a contender" explanation.

As for the "extraordinary money" part...isn't that basically what Art is saying? lol :ols:...He wants tons of money. We want him. We instead say, no, we don't want you THAT much. Nice talking to you, though.

We either choose to see it as the Skins' FO is finally being run by men who don't get giddy over stealing headlines with their new acquisitions, placing more importance on fiscal responsibility...or we simply chalk it up to "someone offered more".

The concept of this thread seems to be that we're being conservative in free agency, and cites giving a guy with 5 career sacks in 4 season a 5 year contract with over 27 million an example of that conservatism. .

The concept of your reply is the revelation you do not know the role of a 3-4 defensive end who only over the last couple of years has seen consistent starting playing time.

Can you name a true 3-4 defensive end who consistently gets more than 5 sacks other than Bruce Smith? The role is to hold the edge, occupy people to free the rushers. What penetration and pressure is generated is secondary to the role and need. By no stretch of the imagination is Bowen a proven, top quality starting defensive end. He appears to be a young enough player with some emerging ability capable of developing into that. In many ways, this contract is FAR worse than contracts given Archuleta years ago, and similar to Lloyd, in that you paid a lot for a young-ish player you hoped could develop into something special, but who had yet to prove on a consistent basis that was the case.

The Redskins have always structured contracts well and can handle innumerable contracts of this sort as they are just blocks on a page with an endless limit for an owner with, thusfar, unlimited willingness to convert base to cash.

The point of this thread is merely to state the Redskins front office had the discipline not to get ****ed with and quickly moved from the option it liked most to the option it liked second based on whatever circumstance was there. I like the flexibility and speed of the shift.

Cool with it completely. Bruce is watching to ensure no contract has a stranglehold on our cap situation and while Cullens would make for a nice addition it's simply not worth an excessive deal. I'm extremely happy with what we've done the past couple of days. This team is headed in the right direction and it's a nice feeling. I have minor complaints about the Jarmon and Haynesworth deals, but overall, this is really an awesome time for the Redskins faithful. Can't wait for the season.

Yep. I haven't said otherwise. I said either someone did outbid us or the agent bluffed. Either way, if we felt we had a deal, we didn't **** with it after they called. We just signed the next guy.

Archived