Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Source: New timeline starts Tuesday (UPDATED)

LetThePointsSoar

Free Agency frenzy could start quickly, kids...hold on to your seats...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6799301/nfl-transactions-start-monday-source-says

NOW they're saying Tuesday - here's the latest

Free-agent and trade negotiations may begin Tuesday and transactions can be filed with the league office Friday at 6 p.m., according to an updated timeline for league business to begin, sources told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

A source at the highest-level had earlier told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that those talks might begin as soon as Monday afternoon and the league year would have begun Aug. 2, if the NFL Players Association signed off on it.

NFL Transactions Analysis

The free-agent signings and trades will come fast and furious once the lockout ends. ESPN.com's division bloggers will react to all the big moves throughout this frenzied period. Blog

The updated timeline from league sources:

• Monday: The NFL will announce that teams can go to 90-man rosters and the official free-agent list will be distributed to teams.

• Tuesday: Teams can reach agreements with rookies and undrafted free agents beginning at 10 a.m. ET. Teams can reach agreements with all free agents and signed players are allowed to enter team facilities.

• Wednesday: Players can begin reporting to training camps 15 days before their first preseason games. According to the proposed timeline, 10 teams would report on Wednesday, 10 more on Thursday and 10 additional teams on Friday. The New York Jets and Houston Texans would be the last two teams to report, on Sunday.

• Thursday: Teams can begin to cut players at 4 p.m. ET.

• Friday: Teams can begin filing transactions to the league office at 6 p.m. ET.

• Aug. 4: Deadline for recertification and ratification of the collective bargaining agreement by the players.

Click link for full story http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6799301/latest-nfl-timeline-starts-tuesday

This is insane. So the 72 hour period to re-sign your own free agents is gone? Now you have to negotiate with your own free agents at the same time you are working out deals with the other unrestricted free agents. Ohh and all of this is set to start THIS afternoon! This officially kills my work week.

This is insane. So the 72 hour period to re-sign your own free agents is gone? Now you have to negotiate with your own free agents at the same time you are working out deals with the other unrestricted free agents. Ohh and all of this is set to start THIS afternoon! This officially kills my work week.

Exactly what I thought....I'm gonna get NOTHING done at the office today. As far as I can tell, the 72 hour period is gone, we can sign our own free agents plus begin talks w/ UFA's this afternoon. Going to be a wild week.

Two conflicting reports. Kind of.

All reports are saying Free agency will start tomorrow as far as contacting players.

However, today is when we can talk to our own FA's. So instead of 72 hours, it looks to be moved to a 24 hour period. But I am sure these contracts were in place for a while. Just need the green light to execute it.

Two conflicting reports. Kind of.

All reports are saying Free agency will start tomorrow as far as contacting players.

However, today is when we can talk to our own FA's. So instead of 72 hours, it looks to be moved to a 24 hour period. But I am sure these contracts were in place for a while. Just need the green light to execute it.

Schefter talking on ESPN right now how even though it will open, it's going to take some time for the teams to even understand the rules of how to structure contracts with the new agreement before you'll see contracts being signed. Makes total sense, but it is definitely going to make for the most interesting week we've had in four months...

Adam just said - TODAY you can start signing your draft picks and your free agents and TOMORROW Free Agency begins but also TODAY you CAN TALK to other free agents

Yea, Jay Glazer says it all starts tomorrow.

Very confused. Obviously, nothing can start (timing wise) until the NFLPA hold there press conference and announce when the time starts.

Do our draft picks have to be signed before they can attend camp? Or would the NFL would make an exception this year?

My understanding was that the rookie wage scale hasn't been completely figured out yet. isn't that something that requires the NFLPA to re-certify so they can collectively bargain it?

My understanding was that the rookie wage scale hasn't been completely figured out yet. isn't that something that requires the NFLPA to re-certify so they can collectively bargain it?

That was approved last week. That is set so top draft picks should not be held out.

The only reason they may/should be late to camp is if the team and agent take there time to make sure they understand the scale fully before signing any contract.

Well guys the conference call starts @ 11am this morning. This when the vote will go in. I would assume once the vote is made. The official timeline will be revealed. The conflicting reports has my head spinning, we'll see what happens. As the other poster stated, I won't be getting any work done today. :silly:

The doors could open as soon as Monday, with clubs allowed to sign draftees and rookie free agents Tuesday. Free agency would begin Friday at 6 p.m. ET, though clubs could begin to speak with free agents starting Tuesday. Ten teams would open camp Wednesday, another 10 Thursday, another 10 Friday, and the remaining two on Sunday.

this is according to NFL.com...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d820f4c7f/article/with-agreement-in-place-players-will-vote-once-document-is-completed?module=HP11_breaking_news

Archived