Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Clayton - Skins positively affected by new cap

AKM311

Still need to build the guys 23-53 though.

1-22 would be nice too.

Ah, the uncapped year. Hid lots of Fat Al's salary and was a great time to dump lots of if not mistakes, then at least older and underperforming players, dollar for dollar.

Better lucky than good.

gomes is an a Saftey but three safety D are becoming a fad

Gomes played everything in college, FS, SS, CB, and LB.

Seeing as we have Landry and Atogwe, Gomes will get playing time at nickleback, and when Atogwe needs a breather. Once OJ retires, we move Gomes to FS for the long haul

I fundamentally disagree with Clayton. We are in the scenario where we need pay at least $45mm in bonuses but only consume $10mm in cap space. This is nothing new for the Skins, but what is different is that every other club is now going to have spend at the levels we have in the past. In other words, there is more cash that has to spent this year with no change to the number of players. Our $s will be spent in a more competitive environment.

Expect massive inflation either in the shape of crazy signing bonuses from clubs with no cap space or chunkier longer term deals for the clubs with more cap space.

And that´s why Dan Snyder is our owner....he knows his ways with money.
If he would only let the football people run things, he would be a truly SUCCESSFUL owner. *fingers crossed* However much $ he's making now, he'd make even more with a winning franchise.

Extending Landry would cut a huge chunk out of that $45 million. He's also young enough to sign to a long term contract and thus his bonus can be spread out to lessen the cap hit.

Resigning Landry should be the first priority going forward. I think he has more of an impact than any player on our roster in this Defense.

I'm sure he'll be resigned though, as the coaching staff speaks well of him.

Age is a factor with him though, young CB I want is Jonathan Joseph from Cincy would be a good compliment to Hall as Joseph yes does take chances but also shuts down his men

For sure. I wasn't counting out Joesph, just answering about Ike Taylor. Does the proposed 4 year unrestricted add any other CBs to the market?

What you are describing is exactly what put us into the cap problems we've had for so long. This is what I meant when I talked about putting it on "the credit card". Now, you've just added 4.9M to the cap in the future but still must meet future payroll. Assuming no upward adjustment of the cap, we'll now only have 5.1M to meet the 2012 payroll (we'll likely also be about 40M short in 2012) without moving even more into the cap out years. Doable? Yes, no question but we would be headed back into the same situation as before only now we wouldn't even have a body.

Do NOT want to save money on payroll since that is a FLOOR. Using your numbers, moving McNabb increases our spending requirements by 13-14M but would only save us about 2-3M on the cap (as pointed out above, this is a NEGATIVE cap move). Any money going to Harris has got nothing to do with this. Again, we can absorb the difference here but only via a negative cap move.

Every team will be in a similar situation. Again, we do not know numbers, so my examples could be way off. However, the idea still stays the same.

What got us before, was not this issue. The issue was spending the money badly. Working the cap was fine. Every team does it. The key is to have the players play out 70% of the contract. Not the AH issue.

D-Halls contract is the same setup, however, he won't hurt us as long as he keeps playing the way he does for us. He will play out his contract. As did Santana Moss and others. The killer is if we trade draft picks for vets that bust. If that keeps happening, roster spots 23-52 will never get better.

With the new floor, every team is going to have to be creative and actually spend money. The difference for the Skins, they have been doing this already where most teams haven't. This new floor won't hurt the Skins at all.

Halls contract was set-up in a manner that allowed full allocation in the uncapped year of his $15m 2010 bonus. There is very little future cap charge against Hall at the moment.

Correct, as was Haynsworth. Which is what I stated.

My point was signing players that we know will play out 70% of the contract. Then the contract doesn't look bad and set the team back. The issue in the past was not of bad contracts only, it was bad contracts to bad players. Setting up contracts as I stated is not an issue at all as long as the player is performing up to 70% of that contract.

It is the exact reason why, Washington, Griffin, Portis, Springs, DHall, Moss, and others never hurt the cap. Spend the money, just spend it wisely. I have confident this FO is doing just that. Now trades is another issue. But, just alone on the contracts, I think we finally have a smart man in BA in the building.

Correct, as was Haynsworth. Which is what I stated.

Fair enough - just didn't read it that way from your post for some reason.

It is the exact reason why, Washington, Griffin, Portis, Springs, DHall, Moss, and others never hurt the cap. Spend the money, just spend it wisely. I have confident this FO is doing just that.

I am confident too.

But, the uncapped year has helped clear some of the crap up. That is why the Portis contract never hurt the cap, for example.

gomes is an a Saftey but three safety D are becoming a fad

He played a lot of nickel in college and Shanny already said he may get to play some nickel this year.

---------- Post added June-28th-2011 at 08:02 AM ----------

Couldn't tell you off the top of my head but I'll do some digging around to see

I would like to go after Brandon Carr from the Ravens. He may be out there looking for a reasonable deal.

I lol'd at the Cowboys' situation. After all their talk about how stacked the roster is, they'll have to lose some of the big contracts...

Anyone think they'll lose out on Doug Free?

The Cowboy's situation is not nearly as bad as it is being made out to be IMO. Dallas has not restructured any contracts to this point. They have a lot of room under restructure. What I think you will see is a few contracts reworked and extended. Romo sits to pee is coming up on a contract so I expect the Cowboys will get that out of the way and simply ease the cap. Nobody really knows what the CBA is going to say so all of this is speculation but we can kinda get an idea I think. Romo sits to pee's cap number in 2011 is over 9 million. I expect they will rework his contract, sign for a longer period of time and push a lot of that money into a signing bonus in order to get him much closer to the vet minimum. Ware and Miles are due 6.7 and 8.54 Million this year respectively. There contracts will also be reworked and funds pushed into Bonus structure to get the cap number down. If you just do those three players, which is a reasonable assumption cause none of those guys are going anywhere any time soon, you can probably save 17.5 Million in cap space.

You figure that Brookings (2.5 Million), Colombo (2 Mil), Olshansky (4.5 Mil), Barber (4.25 Mil), Kris Brown (2.5 Mil) and there is a possability that Newman (8 Mil) could be gone.

We could also see a guy like Kitna get traded to a team like Miami, Minnesota or Cincy as well. He is scheduled to make (2.6 Mil) this season and while he is very valuable, he represents a very expensive luxury and has trade value. If McGee shows improvement, we could very easily see that kind of move happen.

All of these are very realistic cap moves that we could see happen. If the Cowboys wanted to create space, they could easily do it. Lots of guys that could be sent packing and none of them would be players that impact a lot, based on production.

Next year, if the Cowboys wanted to, they could get out from under Roy Williams and Bigg's contracts next year, which would create even more cap.

At this point, it's all a guessing game but I don't think we will see the Cowboys in to terrible a cap situation this year.

I hope the Cowboys do all of this. It will put them in cap hell later. What saved the Skins from going into cap hell was the uncapped year. If the CBA is a 10 year agreement like I am hearing, what you are talking about will hurt the cowgirls in the future.

Archived