Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Clayton - Skins positively affected by new cap

AKM311

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=6699864

Teams affected positively:

1. Washington Redskins: Owner Dan Snyder gave defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth and cornerback DeAngelo Hall around $36 million in bonus money in 2010 to free up room to be a big spender in free agency in 2011. Snyder and Mike Shanahan will have to be creative in how they structure contracts, because the $120 million cap would give them only around $10 million of cap room. On the positive side, the Redskins' current payroll is $75.7 million, meaning Snyder would have to spend close to $45 million in cash to meet the potential minimum floor requirements. Imagine a system that forces Snyder to spend.

Click link to see how screwed Cowboys are.

OMG CAP HELL!!1111!!!! Haha this officially means we have beaten the system right?

Considering our lack of money didn't allow us to build quality depth on our roster for the last 8 seasons, I wouldn't say we "beat the system". That being said, it's nice to see we'll be able to sign some good pieces and upgrade our talent level on the roster. Still need to build the guys 23-53 though.

Bruce Allen doesn't make mistakes like that...

Mistakes like setting up the team to be the number 1 most positively affected franchise by the new salary cap?

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 03:35 PM ----------

Considering our lack of money didn't allow us to build quality depth on our roster for the last 8 seasons, I wouldn't say we "beat the system". That being said, it's nice to see we'll be able to sign some good pieces and upgrade our talent level on the roster. Still need to build the guys 23-53 though.

Yes, and I feel we drafted a few of them this season and last season. But I would like to address some players in the 1-22 range, particullarly the RG (Davin Joseph please!) and the RT (Ryan Harris, Please!). I don't mind getting this big fella Franklin from the 49ers, but I am satisfied with a rotation involving Bryant and Neild. I think Chris Neild was a big pick up.

I'm not sure I understand where we stand. Clayton writes this:

Snyder and Mike Shanahan will have to be creative in how they structure contracts, because the $120 million cap would give them only around $10 million of cap room. On the positive side, the Redskins' current payroll is $75.7 million, meaning Snyder would have to spend close to $45 million in cash to meet the potential minimum floor requirements. Imagine a system that forces Snyder to spend.

So, do we have only $10M or $45M in cap room?

Snyder and Mike Shanahan will have to be creative in how they structure contracts, because the $120 million cap would give them only around $10 million of cap room. On the positive side, the Redskins' current payroll is $75.7 million, meaning Snyder would have to spend close to $45 million in cash to meet the potential minimum floor requirements. Imagine a system that forces Snyder to spend.

Minimum payroll is not the same thing as minimum cap number. Remember, you can structure contracts so that a guy could be making more than his cap number (as we've done over the last decade). The minimum payroll means that we have to spend 45 million to meet the payroll requirements but we have to do it with about 10 million dollars of "cap number" space.

Minimum payroll is not the same thing as minimum cap number. Remember, you can structure contracts so that a guy could be making more than his cap number (as we've done over the last decade). The minimum payroll means that we have to spend 45 million to meet the payroll requirements but we have to do it with about 10 million dollars of "cap number" space.

Thank you...that makes perfect sense.

It was a lack of draft picks and lack of a GM...not a lack of money. Don't get confused there.

Payroll and cap are two different concepts. Payroll is how much cash your putting out in any given year while your cap position is an accrual-like dollar figure based on the rules as outlined by the CBA. Of course, what this does say is that we'll have to put around $35 million on the "credit card".

I think it's both, to be honest. Not being able to evaluate talent sure didn't do us any favors, though.

Depth is usually very affordable, especially for a team that purposefully finds new and creative ways to spend money lol. But as you just pointed out, not being able to evaluate talent means we don't spend the money wisely...and not having enough draft picks means we end up using depth as starters. a lot of our starters over the years would have made great depth if we actually had decent starters in place.

I hate the eagles so much man. How the hell are they positively effected and have that freakin roster? Can they do anything wrong? (Besides of course being completely unable to win a Superbowl that is).

Think about how many of their stars are on their cheap, rookie contracts. Jackson and McCoy were both second rounders, Maclin a mid first. Vick is still on a cheap deal (as of right now) as well. They have money to spend but they'll hit some trouble once all those guys look to get paid.

I was just as confused as you are.

Archived