Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com, Cooley: Burress could go from prison to Redskins' roster

s0crates

I have to backtrack...my 2/$18M was derived by someone else throwing out 4/$24M with $12 guaranteed but stating that he'd only see 2 years of that. So, in essence we'd be paying him $18M ($12M in guaranteed and $6M of the remaining $12M on the contract) over 2 years. My point is that if we're *****-footing around a contract that is basically paying a WR $18M over 2 years, I'd rather pay for a $9M-per-year WR. I don't believe Moss is a $9M per year WR. Again, if even those contract numbers are inflated, then I'd have to reconsider.

I'm somewhat under the impression that the slot position is dependent on your outside WRs. If Moss could put up 800 yards/5 TDs out of the slot, I don't see Austin or Armstrong doing much worse. When push comes to shove, I'd rather not commit 4 years to Moss if we could either commit 2 years to a veteran or 4-5 years to a younger player.

But I apologize because I feel like I'm beating this to death and I don't want it to sound like I'll be sharpening my pitchfork if we re-sign Moss. I just don't believe he should be made a priority.

You don't sound like you're beating it to death, I asked you a question.

Theoretically, would you be OK with a straight up 2 year/$10M or 3 year/$13M deal?

No thanks..Plaxico will be 34 and hasn't played since 2008. Sidney Rice is TEN years younger and makes much more sense if everyone is so desperate to make a splash at WR in FA.

Rice is also recovering from a serious injury though. Hip injuries like his are a big deal. Rice is an awesome WR, but there's plenty of risk in pursuing him too.

So you dont think taking a loaded gun with you when you go clubbing is "wrong" ?

No, it's absolutely not wrong. I don't know what the status quo is in England but here in America we can take loaded handguns into public if we have a concealed carry permit. He had an expired one for the wrong state. If he had it, he would have been legal most likely. I don't see what is "wrong" about carrying a handgun. It's our Constitutional right.

So what do you guys think of Jacoby Jones ?? (Houston Texans)

26 yrs old, going into his 5th year in the NFL, has a history with Kyle.

6'-2", 210 lbs, he went to college on a track scholorship, so he should have some speed.

He did have a dwi warning in 2008.

If Moss leaves, then maybe he would be an option to replace him ??

I would like that signing if the amount was reasonable.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 11:42 AM ----------

You don't sound like you're beating it to death, I asked you a question.

Theoretically, would you be OK with a straight up 2 year/$10M or 3 year/$13M deal?

Yes. I think bringing Moss back for $4-5M per year (and not committing too many years to him) would be just fine.

I When push comes to shove, I'd rather not commit 4 years to Moss if we could either commit 2 years to a veteran or 4-5 years to a younger player.

But I apologize because I feel like I'm beating this to death and I don't want it to sound like I'll be sharpening my pitchfork if we re-sign Moss. I just don't believe he should be made a priority.

I don't think you are beating it to death. Good converation in here. Good dabate. Anyway, you don't want to give a 4 year deal to 32 yr old Moss, but a 2 year deal to Burress 34 yr old Burress. That would essentially be the same thing, with the exception of their size and WR position. I don't think Moss would see the entire 4 years, so it would be a wash. Moss has the advantage because he knows the offense and we know what we have in him as a player. I still have faith that Hankerson and even Kelly can become big time receivers.

So what do you guys think of Jacoby Jones ?? (Houston Texans)

26 yrs old, going into his 5th year in the NFL, has a history with Kyle.

6'-2", 210 lbs, he went to college on a track scholorship, so he should have some speed.

He did have a dwi warning in 2008.

If Moss leaves, then maybe he would be an option to replace him ??

I'd be down with this at the right price of course.

i think it would be best to get a guy like randy moss or TO on a one year contact.

I think it would be best if we didn't get a guy like Randy Moss or TO.

You don't sound

like you're beating it to death, I asked you a question.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

I don't think you are beating it to death. Good converation in here. Good dabate. Anyway, you don't want to give a 4 year deal to 32 yr old Moss, but a 2 year deal to Burress 34 yr old Burress. That would essentially be the same thing, with the exception of their size and WR position. I don't think Moss would see the entire 4 years, so it would be a wash. Moss has the advantage because he knows the offense and we know what we have in him as a player. I still have faith that Hankerson and even Kelly can become big time receivers.

The difference being the price. If a 4/24 for Moss becomes a 2-year deal, we're out about 18M if you assume that 10-12M is guaranteed. For two years of Plax, I don't think we'd have to pay anywhere close to that.

No, it's absolutely not wrong. I don't know what the status quo is in England but here in America we can take loaded handguns into public if we have a concealed carry permit. He had an expired one for the wrong state. If he had it, he would have been legal most likely. I don't see what is "wrong" about carrying a handgun. It's our Constitutional right.

He had an expired one for the wrong state? So it was WRONG to bring it to the club in NY, because it wasn't legal.

It is also STUPID (permit or not) to bring a gun to a club. It was really STUPID and legally WRONG.

Not sure what the heck you are arguing.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 04:07 PM ----------

The difference being the price. If a 4/24 for Moss becomes a 2-year deal, we're out about 18M if you assume that 10-12M is guaranteed. For two years of Plax, I don't think we'd have to pay anywhere close to that.

Where did this 2 year playing deal come from? That takes him to 34. He takes absolutely no pounding so he should last the full 4 years with at least 2-3 years of very good production.

Where did this 2 year playing deal come from? That takes him to 34. He takes absolutely no pounding so he should last the full 4 years with at least 2-3 years of very good production.

It's all hypotheticals. There was another thread somewhere that threw out the 4 year/$24M with $12M guaranteed, with the guaranteed money coming all at once after the first year. That's where he was taking that from.

Many people keep refuting my point (that I don't want to give 4 years to a 32-year old WR who relies on speed and quickness) by saying he won't see the end of that contract.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 12:14 PM ----------

It's all hypotheticals. There was another thread somewhere that threw out the 4 year/$24M with $12M guaranteed, with the guaranteed money coming all at once after the first year. That's where he was taking that from.

Yes...that's a better explanation. Thank you!

I've already stated that I'd be fine with Moss for a 2-year deal worth about $10M. That seems reasonable to me from the Redskin perspective.

Many people keep refuting my point (that I don't want to give 4 years to a 32-year old WR who relies on speed and quickness) by saying he won't see the end of that contract.

---------- Post added June-24th-2011 at 12:14 PM ----------

Yes...that's a better explanation. Thank you!

I've already stated that I'd be fine with Moss for a 2-year deal worth about $10M. That seems reasonable to me from the Redskin perspective.

I am not refuting your thoughts. I hoenstly believe he can play out the 4 year contract. With the first 2-3 years being around a 70-80 catch with 900-1000 yard seasons. That is why I find the contract manageable and worth it. He is the only WR who can come in and know the system and start right from game 1. All this points to a yes for me.

I am not refuting your thoughts. I hoenstly believe he can play out the 4 year contract. With the first 2-3 years being around a 70-80 catch with 900-1000 yard seasons. That is why I find the contract manageable and worth it. He is the only WR who can come in and know the system and start right from game 1. All this points to a yes for me.

Fair enough. I'm not sure that he will be a 1,000 yard WR for the next 3 years, but I'd love to be wrong about that.

the-right-to-bear-arms-demotivational-poster-1288917337.jpg

Agree with the right to bear arms.

But not sure about the laws up there, but in Texas it is illegal to carry a loaded weapon into any establishment that serves or sells alchohol.

Even if you have a concealed handgun permit.

Maybe they dont want some drunk Texans shooting up the place. LOL

Agree with the right to bear arms.

But not sure about the laws up there, but in Texas it is illegal to carry a loaded weapon into any establishment that serves or sells alchohol.

Even if you have a concealed handgun permit.

Maybe they dont want some drunk Texans shooting up the place. LOL

I worked in bars and restaurants for years, and I can second this. There is a good reason people cannot bring weapons into establishments that serve alcohol, and as far as I know that is the law most places.

VyKoMWr7LOE

Bar fights are a big enough problem without having the drunks armed to the teeth.

As far as New York goes, they have some of the strictest gun laws in the country.

He had an expired one for the wrong state? So it was WRONG to bring it to the club in NY, because it wasn't legal.

It is also STUPID (permit or not) to bring a gun to a club. It was really STUPID and legally WRONG.

Not sure what the heck you are arguing.[/Quote]

He's arguing the right to bear arms.

It may have been legally wrong, but many can argue the law in unconstitutional.

The point is, the government might see something wrong with it, but as people, some of us dont see anything wrong enough to not want him to play for our team.

As a refresher, the below is an article from the NY Daily News shortly after Burress's incident in 2008...

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2008-11-29/sports/29435442_1_plaxico-burress-sources-antonio-pierce

The Giants'dream season was thrown into turmoil yesterday when Super Bowl star Plaxico Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg at a Manhattan nightclub and linebacker Antonio Pierce tried to hide the gun, police sources said.

Burress is expected to be arrested on felony weapons charges in the coming days, while Pierce's attorney was in frantic discussions with cops last night to stave off criminal charges, police sources said.

Burress' latest self-inflicted wound came after he was initially turned away from the LQ nightclub in midtown because he was packing heat, police sources said. Burress, 31, who was sporting flashy jewelry and carrying loads of cash, told club management he needed the gun to protect himself, sources said.

The mercurial Giant was waved inside the crowded Latin-themed club on Lexington Ave. about midnight. He downed several drinks, making already jittery security guards more nervous about his weapon.

As Burress was being led into a VIP area, with a drink in his hand, the gun slipped down his pants leg. He reached for the weapon, but fumbled it and it went off, sources said. The bullet tore through Burress' already injured right thigh, police said.

I don't recall, did Pierce ever get into any trouble for attempting to hide the gun?

He's arguing the right to bear arms.

It may have been legally wrong, but many can argue the law in unconstitutional.

The point is, the government might see something wrong with it, but as people, some of us dont see anything wrong enough to not want him to play for our team.

Some of us don't agree; but the point here is that this argument doesn't belong in this forum.

the NFL salary cap appears to me to be a complete and utter joke. Easily circumvented if it is enforced. When is the last time we had to move a player to fit under the cap? Speaking of caps, the NHL capitals fans frequently use capgeek.com and post complete rosters with cap space used/avaiilable.

I have never even seen one cap projection posted here. A loyal Skins fan, I have no idea what the cap is. .The NHL cap is going up this year to about 64M.

Don't sweat what we sign Santana or any other player to. We signed Haynesworth, took on McNabb, extended. I never heard a blip about the cap.

Archived