Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TPM: Sarah Palin: ‘I Didn’t Mess Up About Paul Revere’

JMS

Do you really Blame Bush for the down spiral of the economy?

Obviously Bush cannot take the blame for all the economic woes, Obama has to accept some responsibility, too, but yes, this economic downturn started during his administration. Do you really think he should be absolved responsibility?

Republicans want bush to get credit for bin Laden's death, but they don't think he should receive any blame for the economy. Makes total sense (in a bizarro world).

Compare and Contrast Bush for the 6 years he had a Republican House and Senate to the 2nd half of Bush's 2nd term (after Madam Pelosi took over as Speaker)

For one, much of the federal spending he added to the national debt came during those first six yea, e.g., the Bush tax cuts and wartime spending. And two, the conditions which led to the initial job losses in 2007 were already there before the Democrats took office. Economists (such as Paul Krugman) issue warnings of a possible economic downturn before it actually took place. It didn't come out of the blue.

What was the highest Unemployment Rate when Republicans were in charge under Bush?

I think it was somewhere between 6 to 7% -- not terrible, but not great, either. But that doesn't tell the whole story, because the are other issues, health care costs, wages, which weren't addressed under Bush and the GOP.

Bush had his many faults but it was not his actions alone that led to this Obamanation.

Oh lord: "Obamanation."

Can you be more cliched? Hmm, I just saw your signature, so apparently you can be more cliched!

I mean, really, it's funny how you want to deflect problems away from Bush's term in office, but you are fully willing to saddle Carter with all the problems he inherited as president. (BTW, unemployment grew WORSE under Reagan after he took office, but I bet you blame that on Carter too, right?)

I am not an expert, but this is my opinion.

I'm with you.

Also, some guys who know a thing or two about Paul Revere:

tEM3dW2oWW4

Oh lord: "Obamanation."

Can you be more cliched?

Yeah, it's stupid. All of the nicknames people sling are terribly lame. Libtard, Teabagger... if you use those, you're labelling yourself as an idiot.

C) ANWAR will never be drilled. Period. And for damn good reasons. That oil is reserved for the U.S. Military and you can't have it, sorry.

-Skinfan13

Could ya hang around long enough to explain this?

Could ya hang around long enough to explain this?

That isn't really a factual statement, but rather an assessment. I fully believe the fact that we protect and don't drill our massive oil reserves is precisely related to the fact that our military runs solely on massive amounts of oil. Think about it, what if an alternative energy isn't found before it goes scarce?

---------- Post added June-7th-2011 at 07:15 PM ----------

Also, for people kind of defending Palin saying she inadvertently got some of it right: Paul Revere was a militia-man, a citizen soldier, not a politician really. I strongly believe that his ride was 100% about the military situation at hand and 0% about making a political point against the British.

That isn't really a factual statement, but rather an assessment. I fully believe the fact that we protect and don't drill our massive oil reserves is precisely related to the fact that our military runs solely on massive amounts of oil. Think about it, what if an alternative energy isn't found before it goes scarce?

I was just wondering if there was something I missed.....I do keep tabs on it.;)

We have a plenitude of sources other than ANWAR if the price is right

If the guys at Noble are right there is even more than I believed within our reach..

I was just wondering if there was something I missed.....I do keep tabs on it.;)

If the guys at Noble are right there is even more than I believed within our reach..

Pretty much true. If you get the price high enough, oil becomes very available, at least in the short run.

You always seem to have mixed opinions when it comes to alternative energy. For example, you seem proud of Texan efforts to develop its wind and solar programs, but you don't seem too high on greater federal efforts to do so. That being said, what do you propose should be done? Would you oppose at least some federal incentives to bolster domestic sources of non-petroleum energy?

You always seem to have mixed opinions when it comes to alternative energy. For example, you seem proud of Texan efforts to develop its wind and solar programs, but you don't seem too high on greater federal efforts to do so. That being said, what do you propose should be done? Would you oppose at least some federal incentives to bolster domestic sources of non-petroleum energy?

Solar is a money pit and should be done only on the research/development level until we have major advances...and I do not believe I have ever stated otherwise

Wind and bio-fuels I support within reason,yet both are not ready for major expansion(corn ethanol is a waste except a niche for surplus)

W doesn't get the credit he deserves for the search for alt energy,but he at least understood you must develop domestic fossil fuel sources to fund the alt pursuit.

Enriching others with petrodollars leaves less to play with here.

I support the search for cleaner alt energy,I don't support wasting limited funds....be they federal or state

You always seem to have mixed opinions when it comes to alternative energy. For example, you seem proud of Texan efforts to develop its wind and solar programs, but you don't seem too high on greater federal efforts to do so.

That's because Republicans get credit for one, but not the other.

:)

That's because Republicans get credit for one, but not the other.

:)

And the Dems don't get the credit for waste :)

Dems have been in power in Texas for a long time, but we got a different variety than some of ya'll:pfft: (Along with some crappy ones)

Solar is a money pit and should be done only on the research/development level until we have major advances...and I do not believe I have ever stated otherwise

Actually, it's not a money pit if you are doing mirror based solar thermal plants. Those are already going into production in the Mojave desert. But individual solar panels on houses - those need to get more efficient.

Wind and bio-fuels I support within reason,yet both are not ready for major expansion(corn ethanol is a waste except a niche for surplus)

Agree again. Ethanol is a sick joke.

W doesn't get the credit he deserves for the search for alt energy,but he at least understood you must develop domestic fossil fuel sources to fund the alt pursuit.

Enriching others with petrodollars leaves less to play with here.

I support the search for cleaner alt energy,I don't support wasting limited funds....be they federal or state

I'm not sure why W should get any credit (his efforts in this area were de minimus), but there is no question that we are hurt by sending so many petrodollars overseas.

Actually, it's not a money pit if you are doing mirror based solar thermal plants. Those are already going into production in the Mojave desert. But individual solar panels on houses - those need to get more efficient.

I've felt for a long time that the idea of a thousand mirrors directing sunlight to a single, fixed, receiver just ought to be a LOT more efficient than an identical area of individual collectors.

If for no other reason that that it seems that a LOT of sunlight is easier to get power out of than a whole lot of collectors getting a LITTLE sunlight, and because the single collector won't require hundreds of miles of plumbing, connecting all of those individual collectors.

I've felt for a long time that the idea of a thousand mirrors directing sunlight to a single, fixed, receiver just ought to be a LOT more efficient than an identical area of individual collectors.

If for no other reason that that it seems that a LOT of sunlight is easier to get power out of than a whole lot of collectors getting a LITTLE sunlight, and because the single collector won't require hundreds of miles of plumbing, connecting all of those individual collectors.

http://gizmodo.com/5806974/the-mojave-desert-solar-farm-with-more-mirrors-than-a-lady-gaga-funhouse-of-horrors

Did you forget about the tortoises?.....even going damn near to Nevada doesn't escape the Greenies my friend

http://guntherportfolio.com/2011/04/brightsource-energys-ipo-filing-and-the-ivanpah-solar-project-temporary-suspension/

the US Department of the Interior (DOI), Bureau of Land Management (BLM), California Desert District issued a Temporary Suspension of Activities, 4/15/11, for the ISEGS (CACA-48668).

The BLM California Desert District’s immediate and temporary suspension Decision said:

As communicated to you, it is the position of the BLM that activity on the Ivanpah project site has reached, and in some categories, just exceeded the incidental take limit for further construction activities within Ivanpah 2, and Ivanpah 3, with certain exception. BLM has determined that work within the access road and power block areas of Ivanpah 2 may continue. Construction within the Ivanpah 2 access road area and power block area may continue since those areas were previously fenced and all desert tortoises have been removed. All other construction work associated with Ivanpah 2 and Ivanpah 3 is suspended.

As a threatened species, the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) had set a limit of displacing 38 desert tortoises during the entire Ivanpah project. In “Parts of Ivanpah Solar Construction Temporarily Halted”, the Mojave Desert Blog said:

When BrightSource Energy bulldozed phase 1 and part of phase 2, however, the company displaced 49 tortoises, prompting the Department of Interior to revise its estimates. As of late March, Interior announced that it now expected the project to displace or kill as many as 140 desert tortoises.

Per these numbers, the desert tortoise population at the Ivanpah site was underestimated by a factor of almost 3.7 times during the permitting process.

Of course, there was no BrightSource press release or BLM news release regarding the suspension development. Perhaps providing insight into their corporate culture, BrightSource did not disclose the Temporary Suspension on the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System project website (http://ivanpahsolar.com/blog) though the situation is disclosed in their IPO filing.

Did you forget about the tortoises?.....even going damn near to Nevada doesn't escape the Greenies my friend

http://guntherportfolio.com/2011/04/brightsource-energys-ipo-filing-and-the-ivanpah-solar-project-temporary-suspension/

the US Department of the Interior (DOI), Bureau of Land Management (BLM), California Desert District issued a Temporary Suspension of Activities, 4/15/11, for the ISEGS (CACA-48668).

The BLM California Desert District’s immediate and temporary suspension Decision said:

As communicated to you, it is the position of the BLM that activity on the Ivanpah project site has reached, and in some categories, just exceeded the incidental take limit for further construction activities within Ivanpah 2, and Ivanpah 3, with certain exception. BLM has determined that work within the access road and power block areas of Ivanpah 2 may continue. Construction within the Ivanpah 2 access road area and power block area may continue since those areas were previously fenced and all desert tortoises have been removed. All other construction work associated with Ivanpah 2 and Ivanpah 3 is suspended.

As a threatened species, the US Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) had set a limit of displacing 38 desert tortoises during the entire Ivanpah project. In “Parts of Ivanpah Solar Construction Temporarily Halted”, the Mojave Desert Blog said:

When BrightSource Energy bulldozed phase 1 and part of phase 2, however, the company displaced 49 tortoises, prompting the Department of Interior to revise its estimates. As of late March, Interior announced that it now expected the project to displace or kill as many as 140 desert tortoises.

Per these numbers, the desert tortoise population at the Ivanpah site was underestimated by a factor of almost 3.7 times during the permitting process.

Of course, there was no BrightSource press release or BLM news release regarding the suspension development. Perhaps providing insight into their corporate culture, BrightSource did not disclose the Temporary Suspension on the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System project website (http://ivanpahsolar.com/blog) though the situation is disclosed in their IPO filing.

There are quite a few of these projects in construction, and the best areas for solar happen to be in the middle of the best area for the endangered tortoises. That has led to some conflicts, but mostly they are getting worked out. The Greenies are mostly being reasonable and the companies are mostly being reasonable. Don't worry about it. :)

JMS, you're pretty read up on American history, so I expect you to be aware that the divide between colonists and mainland Britain was growing well before Reveres ride, for example the Boston Tea Party occurred 2 years before Revere's ride. So while colonists believed they were subject to Englishmens Rights given they were under British rule, it doesn't mean they all considered themselves British.

It's my understanding that the Boston Tea Party was not about indepenence from the crown, but because of a special tax levied only on the colonies and not on other British Citizens. Britian was trying to recover the money it had spent defending teh colonies during the French and Indian War and saw nothing wrong with passing on the expense to the colonies. The colonies didn't mind paying their fair share of taxes to the crown but were buckling under what they felt were targeted focused on them and not on other British Citizens. No Taxation without Representation was not a call for independence but a call for Representation. You are correct this was not a uniform belief, their were those calling for independence early on, but there was non concensus on it. That all changed with the Shots on Lexington green. The Shot heard around the world. That was the seminal event which convinced the majority on succession...

The Boston Masacre years prior was a seminal event for some Americans like Samual Adams. But the British soldiers who faced a colonial court for their actions ( shooting into a crowd of Colonials) were defended March of 1770 by John Adams who would become washington's vice president and the second President of the United States. And he got them equited....

No when Paul Revere road it was more than a year before the declaration of indepence and most of the people in the colonies still believed them to be loyal British subjects who had a cripe with British tax policies.

Anyway that's my take on it... I'm not especially well read on colonial history. Like I said, I was up just a few weeks ago in boston and did the Freedom trail with my 8 year old.

I'm not sure I agree JMS.

Even before Lexington and Concord the colonies had convened the first continental congress and organized boycotts against the British. Some members of that congress were already pushing independence. Coincidentally, the members from Massachusetts were amongst those most emphatic on that point. Coincidentally, many of those Massachusetts men were from the Boston area.

Not every colony was interested in independence by 1775 (or 1776 for that matter.) But Massachusetts was. I think the prominent citizens of Boston who were not loyal to the crown were already thinking in terms of 'Americans' and 'British' by the time of Lexington and Concord.

Yeah she might have us at 9 percent unemployment while blaming someone who has been gone for 3 years, and spending money like a drunk and Randy sailor on liberty in the Redlight districts of yore.

She might actually do some crazy like lift the oil drilling moratorium and announce Anwar is open to tap resources while creating an environment for business small and large to prosper, make companies like GE actually pay taxes on the Billions they made, while insulting dictators by not bowing to them. :rolleyes:

More like 20 percent unemployment and blaming the media for all her problem you would be at war with Iran gotten rid of medicare put the country deeper in debt to cut taxes and screw the tax code even more.

Don't know if they were thinking Americans versus British (although I think it was close,) but I do believe they'd reached a point of "us" vs. "them" which is only a step or two away which is part of why Palin's "Real American" schtick is such a disappointing one. Every citizen is a real American. We don't need to be deepening the divides between all the "uses" and all the "thems"

Archived