Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Leonard Hankerson could be a steal for Redskins

themurf

The year we drafted Kelly and Thomas, was a terrible WR class, I believe not one WR was taken in the first round...then there was a big rush to draft WR in the 2nd round...

So far I can only name 2-3 WR that did well from that class...

Eddie Royal

DeSean Jackson

Jordy Nelson

And Manningham in the 3rd

Pierre Garcon

Steve Johnson

Earl Bennett

Early Doucet

Harry Douglas

Josh Morgan

Justin Harper

Undrafteds:

Davone Bess

Danny Amendola

Surprised to see so few comparisons on this board between Hankerson and Brandon Marshall, another big possession receiver drafted by Shanahan in the mid-rounds (4th round, 119 overall). Of course, Hankerson was a far more productive collegiate receiver facing far more difficult competition, without the character concerns that Marshall brings.

Brandon Marshall only registered 20 receptions for 309 yards and 2 touchdowns in his first season, then exploded for 102 receptions for 1325 yards and 7 touchdowns in his second. Hankerson will likely start slowly, as Shanahan will force him to beat out all of his competition in training camp and practice, earning all playing time that he's given. It's the same route that Shanahan successfully took with Anthony Armstrong, despite all of our frustrations as fans watching Galloway and Roydell Williams play (and happens to be more or less the antithetical route Jim Zorn took with Kelly and Thomas).

Hankerson will have the opportunity to put up huge numbers in this system, the same one that saw rookie Armstorng put up 871 yards without a full season of starts, Moss catch a career best 93 receptions, and Cooley put up one of his two best statistical seasons in arguably a "down year." It will just take some time, naturally, as it does for just about every rookie wide receiver. But in time, he could ultimately have the same type of impact here that Brandon Marshall did for Shanahan a few years back.

With all of the hype surrounding the players who were projected to be first round picks, how Hankerson's name didn't show up is mind boggling. He is just as good if not better than A.J. Green and Julio Jones. With or without Santana Moss in the fold, I expect Leonard Hankerson to have a great year as a rookie. By the second game of the season he should be a starter if all goes well in training camp and pre season.

It generally takes two to three years for WR's to develop so I wouldn't get our hopes up too high for a really productive rookie season.

Not true, I frequently see rookie receivers make a huge impact in their first season.

I think your opinion is skewed by the constantly seeing REDSKIN rookie receivers continue to disappoint.

But look at other teams like the Eagles, who seem to get great production from rookie WR's

Not true, I frequently see rookie receivers make a huge impact in their first season.

I think your opinion is skewed by the constantly seeing REDSKIN rookie receivers continue to disappoint.

But look at other teams like the Eagles, who seem to get great production from rookie WR's

Well, when the Eagles incorporated Jackson and then Maclin into the offense, they had run more or less the same offensive system for the better part of a decade, with the same borderline hall-of-fame quarterback, with coaching and personnel continuity. That's really nothing like the situation we have here. Plus, it's not like they did a great job with all their other receivers in the 8 years before Jackson and Maclin.

The truth is, the majority of rookie receivers fail to make an impact. Some ultimately develop into highly productive players, even stars, and the league is riddled with those who didn't come on until their third of fourth year. Obviously we can't knowingly predict Hankerson's first year numbers, but there's a better chance then not that he won't put up "starter" numbers this season. Of course, no one would've thought that rookie Anthony Armstrong would've gathered 871 yards as a rookie either, finishing among the league's leaders in yards per reception.

That being said, it does seem like Hankerson is in the perfect situation to excel quicker than most

The truth is, the majority of rookie receivers fail to make an impact. Some ultimately develop into highly productive players, even stars, and the league is riddled with those who didn't come on until their third of fourth year.

This is sort of incorrect. The MAJORITY of receivers who will make an impact at some point in their careers will make at least a notable impact beginning with they're rookie year (for somebody drafted in the mid-rounds, at least 20 catches including some big ones and a significant number of snaps especially at critical times). This does not imply that the receiver who fails to make an impact as a rookie will never make an impact, Further, just because a receiver makes an impact as a rookie, does not mean he'll be a superior receiver over the long haul. I do suspect that this will be a year of slower development for WR.

The generalizations about what other rookie receivers have done in the past is really irrelevant. All it takes is one or two guys to make an impact and then that 'rule' goes out the window.

It is not the talent of the rookie Redskins' receivers that wil most likely hold them back in 2011 but rather the lack of talent at the quarterback position.

Washington needs 2-3 years to rebuild what was an aging roster.

2011 was the first year in really making an attempt to do this in a systematic way.

We COULD have been further along in the process if the front office had laid off the McNabb trade and held the picks in 2010, taken our lumps as we seem prepared to do in 2011, etc.

Who was the last Redskin rookie WR to make an impact? We would have to assume Rod Gardner, although Gardner's best year came just after his rookie season. Hankerson has the ability to not only win match ups down the field, but also be a pro bowl WR in his rookie campaign.

I think the Skins got it right, and that is better than hoping they did as I have in the past. From Westbrook forth the Skins have not drafted a quality WR yet. And of course Gardners major successes have come after the Redskins saw no use for him.

I think the Skins got it right, and that is better than hoping they did as I have in the past. From Westbrook forth the Skins have not drafted a quality WR yet. And of course Gardners major successes have come after the Redskins saw no use for him.

Gardner had no success after the skins drafted him with the 17th overall pick in 2001, with Steve Hutchinson and Santana Moss still on the clock.

That being said I do believe Hankerson was a steal for us and thought he would have been drafted in the early 2nd round and was hoping he made it to 41 so we could take him. I believe our draft was outstanding, now I'd like to see them perform.

Ya' know, this week as we approach the 3rd has been the first time I've been real worried on that. Not so much that we'll get something of a season, but just how little of something we'll end up with.

Hail.

I agree and think the chances for a full season are less and less....at this point the chances or any season look pretty bleak.

Archived