Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mayweather/Pacquiao **Floyd Turns Down $65 Million To Fight Pacman.**

DM72

Why don't Mayweather just stop it with the "take the test" talk and sign on to fight Pac? Isn't it obvious that if Pac was taking something, he would have been caught by now? Don't boxers get tested after every fight? But what bugs me the most is the people that has bought into Mayweather's "take the test" garbage. Just last night on ESPN, a 3 man roghn table show hosted by Scoop Jackson, one of the guest said that the fight is held up because Pac won't take the test. I still can't believe there's people buying into that. And on top of that, you have people claiming that Mayweather will win even though he's been offered $50 million and still refuses to fight. Mayweather's uncle/trainer Roger can claim it will be an easy win for May all he wants, but they need to put up or shut up.

I hate calling someone who fights for a living a coward, but Mayweather is a coward for not giving the world the fight we want to see. Everyone from other boxers, UFC's Dana White, celebs and just average folks have an opinion on this fight, but Mayweather is too scared that he might get beat. I just wish Pacquiao was more mean. I wish he would publically call Mayweather a coward. Better yet, call him soft. Maybe then Mayweather would face him, if only just out of being embarrassed. One thing I know about guys like Mayweather is that image is everything. They do not like to look bad.

Will this fight ever happen. I don't believe it will and that's a crying shame. IMO, it only happens after Pac gets old.

EDIT: http://sports.inquirer.net/4329/floyd-mayweather-jr-turns-down-65m-to-fight-pacman

Umm.. its quite obvious that Pac is dodging. Take a look at his last 10 fights! They were all against opponents who were previously knocked out or over the hill and cutting weight. And many of them have been beaten by Mayweather prior to his fights. Its too bad, but this is all on Arum. And now he is going to fight a guy he has already beaten TWICE (margarito). Why are they fighting for a third time?

Umm.. its quite obvious that Pac is dodging. Take a look at his last 10 fights! They were all against opponents who were previously knocked out or over the hill and cutting weight. And many of them have been beaten by Mayweather prior to his fights. Its too bad' date=' but this is all on Arum. And now he is going to fight a guy he has already beaten TWICE (margarito). Why are they fighting for a third time?[/quote']

You are the only person that I've ever heard say Pac was the one dodging. Pac is fighting anyone and everyone cause Mayweather won't fight.

Umm.. its quite obvious that Pac is dodging. Take a look at his last 10 fights! They were all against opponents who were previously knocked out or over the hill and cutting weight. And many of them have been beaten by Mayweather prior to his fights. Its too bad' date=' but this is all on Arum. And now he is going to fight a guy he has already beaten TWICE (margarito). Why are they fighting for a third time?[/quote']

They had a contract in place to fight Mayweather. Reportingly both fighter was gonna get around $50 million. Pac "agreed to the test." It was Mayweather who didn't want to fight. Then at the next negotiations, Mayweather reportingly demanded $100 million to fight Pac. Does that look like a man who really want this fight? And you're just like all the other Mayweather fans with the "who has Pac fought?" Answer me this, who has Mayweather fought? Atleast Pac can claim to have fought Cotto and Margarito.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 01:59 PM ----------

Mayweather doesn't have to fight him.

We would all love to see it, but he doesn't have to prove anything.

I think it is all leading up to an even bigger payday for both of them.

For his legacy, HE DOES have to fight him. Ducking the best fighter of his generation is gonna leave a permanant mark.

Why don't Mayweather just stop it with the "take the test" talk and sign on to fight Pac? Isn't it obvious that if Pac was taking something, he would have been caught by now? Don't boxers get tested after every fight?

Boxing testing is worse than what baseball testing used to be. It is a joke and very easy to get around, and even if you're dumb enough to get caught, the penalties aren't that severe

But what bugs me the most is the people that has bought into Mayweather's "take the test" garbage. Just last night on ESPN, a 3 man roghn table show hosted by Scoop Jackson, one of the guest said that the fight is held up because Pac won't take the test. I still can't believe there's people buying into that.

I'm on a few different boxing forums, and most fans place the majority of the blame on Mayweather for the fight not happening. Personally I think its as simple as Bob Arum & Mayweather hating each other so much, and having equally big egos, that they are willing to forgo the fight just so the other doesn't benefit. The hate between the two is not manufactured, its is geniune.

When dealing with boxers and promoters, the reasons given to the media for a fight not happening are never the whole story.

And on top of that, you have people claiming that Mayweather will win even though he's been offered $50 million and still refuses to fight. Mayweather's uncle/trainer Roger can claim it will be an easy win for May all he wants, but they need to put up or shut up.

People who believe Mayweather will win that fight (myself included), due so based on the styles of each fighter. I'm a fan of both fighters personally, although I'm probably a bigger Pacquiao fan. I think each fighter represents the best of each world of boxing. In Pacquiao you have an offensive machine who comes at you from every angle possible, In Mayweather you have one of the 3 best defensive fighters in the history of boxing, a man who can stand in front of a world class fighter who throws a 6 punch combo and make them all miss.

No outcome of the fight would surprise me, but my money would be on Mayweather

I hate calling someone who fights for a living a coward, but Mayweather is a coward for not giving the world the fight we want to see. Everyone from other boxers, UFC's Dana White, celebs and just average folks have an opinion on this fight, but Mayweather is too scared that he might get beat. I just wish Pacquiao was more mean. I wish he would publically call Mayweather a coward. Better yet, call him soft. Maybe then Mayweather would face him, if only just out of being embarrassed. One thing I know about guys like Mayweather is that image is everything. They do not like to look bad.

This is an emotional reaction because a fight we all want to see doesn't seem to be likely. It wasn't fair when some labeled Pac a "coward" or "ducker" when he chose not to fight Zahir Raheem after he embarrassed Erik Morales, and its not a valid claim now.

as you said, I'm not calling any fighter who fights at that level a coward or soft, it just doesn't ring true

Will this fight ever happen. I don't believe it will and that's a crying shame. IMO, it only happens after Pac gets old.

Mayweather is a little older than Manny Pacquiao, so i'm not sure how the age excuse plays. moreover, the longer the fight takes to happen, the worse it is for Mayweather. Mayweather's defense is predicated on his ridiculous reflexes and timing, that kind of thing tends to fade with age

He doesn't have to fight Pac. His legacy is already there. To me Holyfield and Lewis ducked Tyson in his prime. He is not in his prime anymore and has already retired once. He knows he is not in his prime. If anything he taints his legacy by bothering to fight Pac and possibly lose. Same as Jordan did by playing for the Wizards.

He doesn't have to fight Pac. His legacy is already there. To me Holyfield and Lewis ducked Tyson in his prime. He is not in his prime anymore and has already retired once. He knows he is not in his prime. If anything he taints his legacy by bothering to fight Pac and possibly lose. Same as Jordan did by playing for the Wizards.

if pac was 24 there'd be some substance to that, i think their age difference is what, 2 years? 1 year?

That's not true. Holyfield was a cruiseweight in the 80's and Lewis really didn't come into his own until Tyson was sent off to prison. And if memory serves my right, Holyfield was to fight Tyson if he beat James Douglas.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 02:14 PM ----------

Boxing testing is worse than what baseball testing used to be. It is a joke and very easy to get around, and even if you're dumb enough to get caught, the penalties aren't that severe

I'm on a few different boxing forums, and most fans place the majority of the blame on Mayweather for the fight not happening. Personally I think its as simple as Bob Arum & Mayweather hating each other so much, and having equally big egos, that they are willing to forgo the fight just so the other doesn't benefit. The hate between the two is not manufactured, its is geniune.

When dealing with boxers and promoters, the reasons given to the media for a fight not happening are never the whole story.

People who believe Mayweather will win that fight (myself included), due so based on the styles of each fighter. I'm a fan of both fighters personally, although I'm probably a bigger Pacquiao fan. I think each fighter represents the best of each world of boxing. In Pacquiao you have an offensive machine who comes at you from every angle possible, In Mayweather you have one of the 3 best defensive fighters in the history of boxing, a man who can stand in front of a world class fighter who throws a 6 punch combo and make them all miss.

No outcome of the fight would surprise me, but my money would be on Mayweather

This is an emotional reaction because a fight we all want to see doesn't seem to be likely. It wasn't fair when some labeled Pac a "coward" or "ducker" when he chose not to fight Zahir Raheem after he embarrassed Erik Morales, and its not a valid claim now.

as you said, I'm not calling any fighter who fights at that level a coward or soft, it just doesn't ring true

Mayweather is a little older than Manny Pacquiao, so i'm not sure how the age excuse plays. moreover, the longer the fight takes to happen, the worse it is for Mayweather. Mayweather's defense is predicated on his ridiculous reflexes and timing, that kind of thing tends to fade with age

I just think this fight gets made if Mayweather picks up the phone and call Pacs people and say he wants the fight without any Olympic style drug testing. As for the age thing, it works because Pac is constantly fighting while May is not.

Holyfield was talking big before Tyson went to prison, and Lewis didn't want to fight either of those guys.

Their is not a big difference in age, however Barry Sanders knew it was time, Jim Brown knew it was time. They had nothing to prove. They were done and had no reason to taint their legacy by taking on a pity fight/game/season.

Holyfield was talking big before Tyson went to prison, and Lewis didn't want to fight either of those guys.

Their is not a big difference in age, however Barry Sanders knew it was time, Jim Brown knew it was time. They had nothing to prove. They were done and had no reason to taint their legacy by taking on a pity fight/game/season.

Holyfield WAS gonna fight Tyson before he got beat and Lewis was a fighter they all avoided. But again, Lewis didn't really become a name until the late 90's. And you can't compare a boxer who refuses to fight the one guy on his level to football players that walk away from the game. If Ali would not have fought Liston, Frazier, Foreman and Norton he would be considered the greatest. Great fighters take on all comers. May's not doing that.

He got beat yet was still the biggest draw in the sport. There was no reason for Holyfield to not fight him. None.

Prior to retirement May fought any and all. Again, nothing to prove. It's not like he needs the money.

Holyfield DID fight him twice and beat him both times. It wasn't his fault Tyson got KO'ed by Douglas in 90. As for Mayweather fighting all comers? You're kidding right? He didn't fight Mosley when Mosley was still a very good fighter. Did he fight Cotto? And he wanted no part of Margarito.

Holyfield DID fight him twice and beat him both times. It wasn't his fault Tyson got KO'ed by Douglas in 90. As for Mayweather fighting all comers? You're kidding right? He didn't fight Mosley when Mosley was still a very good fighter. Did he fight Cotto? And he wanted no part of Margarito.

To be fair, Floyd called out Shane when Shane was more well known, Shane declined due to a "toothache". they danced around each other

If you think Holyfield ducked Tyson, you are severely misinformed

To be fair, Floyd called out Shane when Shane was more well known, Shane declined due to a "toothache". they danced around each other

I'll give you that one. But what about Margarito, Cotto and Pacquiao?

Anyone who thinks Pacquiao is the one doing the dodging.....you're crazy.

It's plain and simple, Mayweather doesn't wanna get embarassed.

+1. Mayweather is just afraid of Pac. $50 million and he won't fight?/ Get real he's just scared he'll be beat.

he definitely should've fought Cotto & Margarito

i'm only contesting that fights happen or don't happen based on a number of things. "ducking" isn't very high on that list

Well, when a fighter prices himself out of a fight or makes demands that he know the other fighter is not going to agree to, I consider that ducking. It's been reported that May asked for $100 million.

Well, when a fighter prices himself out of a fight or makes demands that he know the other fighter is not going to agree to, I consider that ducking. It's been reported that May asked for $100 million.

thats just what i'm talking about. nobody, not even Mayweather, honestly expects to get 100mil for any fight. thats the pettiness that goes with making a mega fight. Its not a realistic demand, its more about just trying to gain a upperhand in negotiations.

Holyfield WAS gonna fight Tyson before he got beat and Lewis was a fighter they all avoided. But again, Lewis didn't really become a name until the late 90's. And you can't compare a boxer who refuses to fight the one guy on his level to football players that walk away from the game. If Ali would not have fought Liston, Frazier, Foreman and Norton he would be considered the greatest. Great fighters take on all comers. May's not doing that.

Slight correction- Prior to Tyson losing to Douglas, Holyfield was in line to face Tyson, but there were no guarantees. Tyson lost to Douglas, then Holyfield stepped in a few months later and took him out. In the meantime, Tyson has won 4 staight fights (2 over Razor Ruddock, a well respected power puncher), and makes the Douglas fight look like a blip on the radar screen. Holyfield fights Foreman, and gives everyone an entertaining fight. Then Holyfield and Tyson sign to fight, but Tyson pulls out with a rib injury. Holyfield ends up fight Bert Cooper (after the initial injury replacement pulls out), and Tyson is soonafter charged with rape.

Lennox Lewis does not even become a player in the Heavyweight division until Tyson is in prison, when he knocks out Ruddock in spectacular fashion in late 1992. By this point in time, Riddick Bowe rules the heavyweight division.

thats just what i'm talking about. nobody, not even Mayweather, honestly expects to get 100mil for any fight. thats the pettiness that goes with making a mega fight. Its not a realistic demand, its more about just trying to gain a upperhand in negotiations.

But why even put that out there? And why don't he just drop the "take the test" demand all together? Actually, this fight shouldn't be any harder to negotiate than any other big fight? It just seems like Mayweather is making it difficult.

---------- Post added May-18th-2011 at 03:48 PM ----------

Slight correction- Prior to Tyson losing to Douglas, Holyfield was in line to face Tyson, but there were no guarantees. Tyson lost to Douglas, then Holyfield stepped in a few months later and took him out. In the meantime, Tyson has won 4 staight fights (2 over Razor Ruddock, a well respected power puncher), and makes the Douglas fight look like a blip on the radar screen. Holyfield fights Foreman, and gives everyone an entertaining fight. Then Holyfield and Tyson sign to fight, but Tyson pulls out with a rib injury. Holyfield ends up fight Bert Cooper (after the initial injury replacement pulls out), and Tyson is soonafter charged with rape.

Lennox Lewis does not even become a player in the Heavyweight division until Tyson is in prison, when he knocks out Ruddock in spectacular fashion in late 1992. By this point in time, Riddick Bowe rules the heavyweight division.

That sounds about right.

Archived