Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lollapalooza 2011 in Chicago.

TradeTheBeal!

http://www.lollapalooza.com/

Gonna pull the trigger on this for myself and my little brother - graduation present!

Anybody been? Or to Chicago in general?

Any recommendations as to food and/or lodging?

Thanks!

It will be held in Grant Park again this year, so in the past i know a lot of people tried to stay close to there since they allowed you to come and go from the festival. Although, there are rumors that they will be limiting in/out this year. To me, if they dont allow in/out then it isnt worth the extra cost to stay close to grant park.

I can go on for hours when it comes to food. If you cant find a good meal in chicago, you wont be satisfied anywehre. There are a few places that are cool to get to no matter where you stay, but every neighborhood has its own hidden gems.

Are you going to the show each day you are in the city, or would you be taking a day to sightsee? That answer will dictate my hotel recomendations.

I went to Chicago last year to Claptons guitar festival. You need to go to Buddy Guys place Legends, if i remember right it is on Wabash i believe. They serve food, and always have a bluesman playing. If you have time you should take one of the boat tours of the city, it's worth it. Also there is a bar on the 98 floor of the Hann**** building, it is an amazing view from up there!

As far as food it depends on where you stay. Also keep a pile of change if you are driving because there are tolls everywhere....

Is Chicago the only city it's coming to? I'd love to see the Foo Fighters again and Eminem.

Edit: Just read that it was, that ****ing sucks. I went to Lollapalooza 93 and 94. Yeah Im an old fart.

I was about to say, it hasn't been a tour since its first incarnation.

• 1 year later...

Soooooo. This years lineup is announced.

And again I'd like to ask- What the hell happened to music?

How on earth did todays group of "stars" listen to crappy Blues Traveller and DMB cds in the 90s and decide to make even ****tier music? Who the **** are these people? Mumford and Sons? Lumineers? Phoenix? They all sound identical.

The first Lolla had- Rollins, Butthole Surfers, ICE T w/ Body Count, Living Colour, Souixsee, and Jane's Addiction.

Now we are served this dreck?

I'd rather listen to my kids music.

Here it is for those interested-

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1555255/lollapalooza-2013-lineup-mumford-sons-the-killers-the-cure-headlining

Soooooo. This years lineup is announced.

And again I'd like to ask- What the hell happened to music?

How on earth did todays group of "stars" listen to crappy Blues Traveller and DMB cds in the 90s and decide to make even ****tier music? Who the **** are these people? Mumford and Sons? Lumineers? Phoenix? They all sound identical.

The first Lolla had- Rollins, Butthole Surfers, ICE T w/ Body Count, Living Colour, Souixsee, and Jane's Addiction.

Now we are served this dreck?

I'd rather listen to my kids music.

Here it is for those interested-

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/1555255/lollapalooza-2013-lineup-mumford-sons-the-killers-the-cure-headlining

Don't put Ice-T and Body count on there like they were some musical geniuses. It was a gimmick that got more press than they deserved thanks to one song.

I don't know about Phoenix, but M&S and the Lumineers are quite talented.

Gotta agree with Kilmer here. I mean I only know who a handful of those groups are and the only one i would pay to see is Tegan and Sara. What exactly is a Mumford and Sons anyways? I have never even heard one of their songs but I read about them all the time. Anyway music is garbage now, just sit behind a computer and use the same techno beat everyone else does and change up words or just make up new words and you'll have a hit.

Don't put Ice-T and Body count on there like they were some musical geniuses. It was a gimmick that got more press than they deserved thanks to one song.

I don't know about Phoenix, but M&S and the Lumineers are quite talented.

Talented and entertaining are separate things.

their music is boring.

Gotta agree with Kilmer here. I mean I only know who a handful of those groups are and the only one i would pay to see is Tegan and Sara. What exactly is a Mumford and Sons anyways? I have never even heard one of their songs but I read about them all the time. Anyway music is garbage now, just sit behind a computer and use the same techno beat everyone else does and change up words or just make up new words and you'll have a hit.

so,you are complaining about lack of talent, yet don't know anything abuot M&S? They may not be your musical cup of tea, but they have a lot talent. It's certainly not made with a drum machine

As a long time Jane's Addiction fan... I'll tell ya what happened...

Perry Farrell married Etty Lau... who has all but destroyed Jane's Addiction and completely whored Perry on the E! Network. Lolla is pretty much ran by an independent entertainment co from Texas and is nothing more than a name of the festival.... They've basically bought the rights to use the name Lollapalooza and made it a destination festival.

Follow Etty's twitter if you want some comedy gold of what a gold digger she really is....

Yea. You're right. Black Flag = entertaining. Henry Rollins solo= bland, untalented and boring.

Black Flag > Rollins Band> Any new band in the Lolla lineup this year.

And he was the 1st act that day. A minor band at best. The people we're debating now are the ones that the organizers think are HEADLINERS.

Nine Inch Nails is the only band worth seeing in that line-up. I'll wait till they kick off the 2014 resurrection tour and see if I can catch them in Charlotte. Otherwise, that line-up sucks. I went to Lollapalooza in 93 and that was a festival with tons of bands. Side stages with small time bands/openers playing at the same time the main stage was going. Tool, Rage Against the Machine, Alice N Chains, Primus, etc. That was a show.

The only band deemed worthy enough to hang with any of the first bands that made Lollapalooza is Nine Inch Nails.

Mumford and Sons are talented and created their own sound that is pretty unique.

Stop whining. You sound just like the dudes that complained about the first Lollapalooza, saying "when I went to Altamont, they had the Stones, Santana, CSN&Y and Jefferson Airplane, man. What is this Rollins, ICE T, Living Colour, Jane's Addiction crap? That's not music! *burp*"

Mumford and Sons are talented and created their own sound that is pretty unique.

Stop whining. You sound just like the dudes that complained about the first Lollapalooza, saying "when I went to Altamont, they had the Stones, Santana, CSN&Y and Jefferson Airplane, man. What is this Rollins, ICE T, Living Colour, Jane's Addiction crap? That's not music! *burp*"

Predicto, you make a good point lol. Its not that I have a problem with newer bands creating their own gimmick/sound, that's fine, otherwise all music would sound the same and there would be no diversity. My problem is Lollapalooza created an image, it was primarily alt/metal and they tossed in some rap groups from time to time. These newer bands don't fit that image imo and should not be headlining Lollapalooza, even if it is a one day event now and not a tour. Nine Inch Nails is the only one worthy imo in this years line-up. If Im not mistaken, didn't they play in the first one in 91?

Predicto, you make a good point lol. Its not that I have a problem with newer bands creating their own gimmick/sound, that's fine, otherwise all music would sound the same and there would be no diversity. My problem is Lollapalooza created an image, it was primarily alt/metal and they tossed in some rap groups from time to time. These newer bands don't fit that image imo and should not be headlining Lollapalooza, even if it is a one day event now and not a tour.

I can buy that in general. On the other hand, I listen to the main alt radio station out here (Live 105) and that was where I first heard Mumford and Sons being pushed with "Little Lion Man." Alternative is a wide range. :whoknows:

I agree they are talented, and unique. They are also incredibly boring and repetitive. I don't think its a stretch to say today's music is lacking gravitas.

Last year they had Chili Peppers, Sabbath, The Black Keys (okay, a new band I admittedly enjoy). Year before Foo Fighters.

But the trend towards soft, acoustical sounds is aweful.

I can buy that in general. On the other hand, I listen to the main alt radio station out here (Live 105) and that was where I first heard Mumford and Sons being pushed with "Little Lion Man." Alternative is a wide range. :whoknows:

It is a wide range, I agree. I guess I should group it as Lollapalooza was founded on old school alt bands which in the 90's consisted of more grunge/metal/punk'ier alt sound. Nirvana, L7, Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Rage, Tool, Nine Inch Nails, Alice N Chains, Green Day, etc.

The newer alt bands of todays generation, while different, would not typically fall into that category. Probably Linkin Park was the closest to old school alt, they have the angry approach, hard, etc. Killers, Mumford and Sons don't sound that way (to me at least for the few songs I've heard). They are good bands, don't get me wrong.

Archived