Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Court grants expedited hearing

Hitman21ST

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6472988

The NFL's request for an expedited hearing with the 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis has been granted, the court announced Tuesday.

The hearing will be held June 3 in St. Louis at 10 a.m. CT.

The panel will consist of the same three judges that granted the league's request last week for a temporary stay by a 2-1 margin. Each side will be given 30 minutes for oral arguments, and a ruling would be expected 30-45 days after the hearing.

So, it sounds like, at the very latest, we'll have football again mid-July.

Now the big question is will we have free agency before then?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6472988

So, it sounds like, at the very latest, we'll have football again mid-July.

Now the big question is will we have free agency before then?

At the very earliest you mean. It's my understanding that the court is hearing arguments regarding whether the Judge's ruling lifting the lock out should be overturned. If the 8th Circuit disagrees that the owners are violating any law by locking the players out, or even if they just disagree with the Judge's logic and want to send it back to her for another crack at the case - then the lockout will stay in place and there will be no football until the players and owners reach an agreement among themselves. Not to mention even if the 3 judge panel rules in favor of the players and against the Owners, the Owners can ask for the entire 8th Circuit (even more judges) to consider the decision - which they will likely do. Don't mean to be the pessimist but I doubt this will be over in July.

At the very earliest you mean. It's my understanding that the court is hearing arguments regarding whether the Judge's ruling lifting the lock out should be overturned. If the 8th Circuit disagrees that the owners are violating any law by locking the players out, or even if they just disagree with the Judge's logic and want to send it back to her for another crack at the case - then the lockout will stay in place and there will be no football until the players and owners reach an agreement among themselves. Not to mention even if the 3 judge panel rules in favor of the players and against the Owners, the Owners can ask for the entire 8th Circuit (even more judges) to consider the decision - which they will likely do. Don't mean to be the pessimist but I doubt this will be over in July.

The lifting the lockout discussion is already happening and will be decided upon by then. This is for the big kahuna, the CBA.

Well with the ruling being scheduled, it is likely that they'll grant a permanent stay until that date. I hope I'm wrong so free agency can occur and we can move forward a little bit more. I'd love to start having the "should we" posts and "what will our depth chart look like" threads going on again. HTTR

The next day or two may bring us a decision on the lockout, at least. I REALLY hope they just granted the temporary stay to give them time to make a more informed ruling...and that they rule against a stay sometime soon.

The next day or two may bring us a decision on the lockout, at least. I REALLY hope they just granted the temporary stay to give them time to make a more informed ruling...and that they rule against a stay sometime soon.

What about the Brady ruling that was handed down by Judge Nelson, why is that not part of the equation? Now I understand that the Brady lawsuit was not appealed by the owners (right?), but could the players use that ruling in countering the owners attempt to keep players locked out?

I found it quite surprising that they granted the temporary stay (as did the dissenting judge in the 2:1 majority vote - IIRC this has only happened twice before) and IMO it wasn't a good sign if you want the lockout to end.

I was a little confused, so I dug up what I could. Here it is in case anyone's in the same boat I was...

Court is supposed to decide on whether or not the lockout will be allowed to continue until the June 3rd hearing (which decides the legitimacy of the lockout as a whole and may determine the ultimate fate of the 2011 season) by the end of the day on Thursday of this week.

1. If they decide to extend the lockout, no transactions, FA at least through the June 3rd hearing. Of course, June 3rd is the hearing and a decision may not be reached until weeks after so could be toward the end of June and then longer depending on what that decision is.

2. If they vote to uphold the lower court's decision (no extension of the lockout until a decision on the June 3rd appeal is reached), FA could begin as early as Friday, but probably not until Monday May 9th.

I was a little confused, so I dug up what I could. Here it is in case anyone's in the same boat I was...

Court is supposed to decide on whether or not the lockout will be allowed to continue until the June 3rd hearing (which decides the legitimacy of the lockout as a whole and may determine the ultimate fate of the 2011 season) by the end of the day on Thursday of this week.

2. If they vote to uphold the lower court's decision (no extension of the lockout until a decision on the June 3rd appeal is reached), FA could begin as early as Friday, but probably not until Monday May 9th.

+1 That's what I heard on the radio.

I think the owners are gonna lose again and there will be FA on Monday and we'll have our QB Tuesday.

+1 That's what I heard on the radio.

I think the owners are gonna lose again and there will be FA on Monday and we'll have our QB Tuesday.

Yeah, you gotta think that if this FA thing happens it's gonna be happening at a frantic pace over the next month before this next hearing goes down.

I found it quite surprising that they granted the temporary stay (as did the dissenting judge in the 2:1 majority vote - IIRC this has only happened twice before) and IMO it wasn't a good sign if you want the lockout to end.

This is wired to go the distance.

Not looking good.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/5/4/2153318/nfl-lockout-players-court-nflpa

It looks like the NFL lockout could continue for another few weeks. Chad Ochocinco and NFL Network's Albert Breer report via Twitter

that the the NFLPA is expecting the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals to grant the NFL a stay until the appeal is heard.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2011/5/4/2153358/nfl-2011-lockout-news-players-bracing-for-full-stay-injunction

Breer proposes that Judge Nelson's denial of a stay was on the grounds that an appeal would take months, as the appeals process would normally put the case back in the courtroom no sooner than October or November. That would in fact, cause irreparable harm to the plaintiffs. An expedited appeal, however, would 'make the stay more palatable.'

Archived