Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacher Report: 2011 NFL Power Rankings: Post-NFL Draft Edition- Redskins ranked 32nd

21MadFan

A lot of the bad teams are getting better. Shanahan might be actually rebuilding the team and might just start a bunch of rooks. The only thing I see keeping us from being worse this year is our schedule and the fact that a couple of these rookies might be pretty big upgrades.

A lot of the bad teams are getting better. How? By drafting well and grooming the players. AKA doing what we are now doing. We're not just standing pat, we're a bad team that's getting better, too.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 02:45 PM ----------

Well we're somewhere between 30-32. Not better than 30 though. Name 3 teams worse off than us as of this moment. Panthers.... anyone else?

Browns, Cardinals, Bills come to mind.

A lot of the bad teams are getting better. How? By drafting well and grooming the players. AKA doing what we are now doing. We're not just standing pat, we're a bad team that's getting better, too.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 02:45 PM ----------

Browns, Cardinals, Bills come to mind.

Yeah but these teams are generally further along than the Skins in their rebuilding process. Shanahan didn't start until this year. Bills and Browns aren't worse than we are right now. Maybe Cards.

Yeah but these teams are generally further along than the Skins in their rebuilding process. Shanahan didn't start until this year. Bills and Browns aren't worse than we are right now. Maybe Cards.

We have a better defense than the Bills, and a better offense than both. How are they better off than us?

This also says the Eagles are third best team in the NFL, over the Ravens, Steelers, Jets, Colts, and Saints.

Now that everyone knows how to stop Eagles (hint: stop Vick), they'll be lucky to be the third best team in the NFC East.

eagles are an 8-8 team. secondary is suspect, that pass rusher they got last year wont even be ready to start the season, and vick will not repeat his nonsensical year he had last season, and my guess is he gets injured well before that.

Well we're somewhere between 30-32. Not better than 30 though. Name 3 teams worse off than us as of this moment. Panthers.... anyone else?

Panthers

Cardinals

Bills

Broncoes

Are all clearly worse than the Redskins.

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Miami

Minnesota

San Francisco

Are all around the same level in objective terms as the Redskins.

We have a better defense than the Bills, and a better offense than both. How are they better off than us?

bills will have a better offense than us. fitzpatrick is a better QB than anything we have, he threw 23 TDs in 14 games last season so now that the trent edwards experiment is over, fitz should do fine for a whole year. that stevie johnson kid was legit, i think spiller has a much better year, and their defense was shored up big time with marcel dareus taken at #3.

our offense will probably be able to run the ball, and thats about it. regardless of how many yards we can muster on offense, i expect us to be a turnover machine.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 02:54 PM ----------

Panthers

Cardinals

Bills

Broncoes

Are all clearly worse than the Redskins.

Cleveland

Cincinnati

Miami

Minnesota

San Francisco

Are all around the same level in objective terms as the Redskins.

so youre saying were in the bottom 10 in the league? lol. only teams on this list i expect to suck as badly as us are the panthers and dolphins.

We don't have terrible receivers. Moss will be back, Armstrong isn't bad, Hankerson has promise, Austin has potential and 1 year in the system, and we have 2 more rookie WRs, and Kelly. I wouldn't describe that group as great, but not terrible either.

I would call that group terrible. Moss may not be back, and even if he is, he's not exactly a double digit TD machine. I remember him more this past year for balls bouncing off his hands and being intercepted than truly being a #1 game breaking receiver. Armstrong isn't bad...that isn't exactly a glowing endorsement. Hopefully he can keep surprising other teams, but who really knows. Kelly has been hurt his entire short career. Austin may have potential but he never played his rookie season, so who really knows. Hankerson...well, he's got potential and while I'm happy with this pick, he wasn't AJ Green, he was a 3rd rounder who dropped in part because he's not that fast and drops more passes than he should. And we have two other rookies who were late round picks.

If that isn't the definition of a terrible group at present, I don't know what is. They may have potential, but right now it sounds to me like you're polishing a turd :ols: And let's not ignore the fact that they may have John Beck throwing to them, who is 30 years old and has played almost no meaningful time in the league. I wish I had your optimism, but I think our #32 ranking in this article is pretty justified, when you pair the above with the way our defense performed last year.

so youre saying were in the bottom 10 in the league? lol. only teams on this list i expect to suck as badly as us are the panthers and dolphins.

We are in the bottom 10 in the league, but outside of Quarterback can you tell me any position where we have gotten worse than last year? We finished 22 of 32 last year, and have stayed the same or improved at every position except Quarterback where we were already weak. If McNabb had put up world beater numbers last year and had been the reason we won the games we did then I would agree with you, but many of our games had nothing to do with McNabb. Hall won us 2 games last year pretty much by himself (Dallas and Chicago). If we win 3 games in a season we would avoid being the worst team in the league.

I would call that group terrible. Moss may not be back, and even if he is, he's not exactly a double digit TD machine. I remember him more this past year for balls bouncing off his hands and being intercepted than truly being a #1 game breaking receiver. Armstrong isn't bad...that isn't exactly a glowing endorsement. Hopefully he can keep surprising other teams, but who really knows. Kelly has been hurt his entire short career. Austin may have potential but he never played his rookie season, so who really knows. Hankerson...well, he's got potential and while I'm happy with this pick, he wasn't AJ Green, he was a 3rd rounder who dropped in part because he's not that fast and drops more passes than he should. And we have two other rookies who were late round picks.

If that isn't the definition of a terrible group at present, I don't know what is. They may have potential, but right now it sounds to me like you're polishing a turd :ols: And let's not ignore the fact that they may have John Beck throwing to them, who is 30 years old and has played almost no meaningful time in the league. I wish I had your optimism, but I think our #32 ranking in this article is pretty justified, when you pair the above with the way our defense performed last year.

Moss was top ten in total receptions and total yards. He's not a red zone threat because he's 5'10

Hankerson is a red zone threat, and he has speed to back it up.

Our receivers are much improved over last year, and far from terrible.

It's hard to argue with his assessment. Which team is in a worse position than us? I mean, Carolina has a tremendous offensive line and rushing attack, paired with an elite receiver. Cleveland......Cincinnati but they did have a top defense two seasons back. I'm not complaining though, this team needs and infusion of highly talented and touted rookies and one draft isn't going to do it.

Their LT is getting old. Their C is very good. But the rest of their line is injury prone and they've been multiple guys out at their guard spots. Their RT, Jeff Otah, was drafted in the first round, but he's very injury prone. He missed 4 games in 2008, 3 games in 2009, and was on IR for all of 2010.

I believe Steve Smith is a free agent, and is expected to leave the team. The defense took a huge step back when Julius Peppers left.

Carolina has very little to work with, add in Cam Newton and I see that team picking #1 overall again next season.

We are in the bottom 10 in the league, but outside of Quarterback can you tell me any position where we have gotten worse than last year? We finished 22 of 32 last year, and have stayed the same or improved at every position except Quarterback where we were already weak. If McNabb had put up world beater numbers last year and had been the reason we won the games we did then I would agree with you, but many of our games had nothing to do with McNabb. Hall won us 2 games last year pretty much by himself (Dallas and Chicago). If we win 3 games in a season we would avoid being the worst team in the league.

WR: currently moss is not signed. outside of him we have anthony armstrong, a 3 year player who has swiss cheese knees and cant get through a training camp, a 7th rounder from last year, and 3 rookies. thats a lot of question marks which usually equates to bad.

RB: torain cannot stay healthy ever so he cannnot be counted on for a whole season. we drafted some young horses, but again totally mysteries. all of our other RBs were on the team cause we had nothing else or are practice squad guys.

OL: getting better but still no center that can be counted on, and who knows if jamal brown is back or not. i like our LT and both our guards (if kory and wil are back).

QB: LOL

TE: awesome group, but TEs are not a large factor in the grand scheme.

DL: carriker and bryant are solid, the rest are old vets like holliday and kemoatu and mystery rookies. who knows how this turns out.

LB: orakpo and fletcher will play well, but the other ILB spot is a mystery. is it henson, is it riley? and kerrigan is a rookie, so again, totally mystery.

DB: this unit is sound even if rogers is gone. hall, landry, and a atogwe are monsters. and our depth is decent.

this is a lot of "what ifs" and hoping rookies pan out, coupled with no QB. again, ugly season incoming (but for the better if these kids get good reps and show promise).

This is exibit A in "Arguments where no one wins", which boils down to this -

Of the following teams that suck, which one sucks the most?

Who cares where they rank us - we suck, does it matter if we are the 3rd suckiest, or 1st suckiest? It'd probably be better to be the suckiest - at least we may be able to draft a franchise QB next year - or better yet, position ourselves to get Luck and then try to get a Herschel Walker special going and set ourselves up for years of productivity...

bills will have a better offense than us. fitzpatrick is a better QB than anything we have, he threw 23 TDs in 14 games last season so now that the trent edwards experiment is over, fitz should do fine for a whole year. that stevie johnson kid was legit, i think spiller has a much better year, and their defense was shored up big time with marcel dareus taken at #3.

our offense will probably be able to run the ball, and thats about it. regardless of how many yards we can muster on offense, i expect us to be a turnover machine.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 02:54 PM ----------

I do agree that the Bills should be better this season than last. I guess we'll know for sure when we play them. But remember that the Bronco's want to get rid of a solid QB in Kyle Orton and give Tim Tebow the full starting gig. That probably won't end well for them. The Cardinals are in an even worse bind than we are, I'd like to know why you think they'll be better than us. Bengals should be a mess, don't forget that Carson Palmer wants to retire, and they have no backup.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 01:10 PM ----------

the panthers will suck just like we will, but they have a proven RB corp that can take over games sometimes. we have nothing like that on our side at the moment.

DeAngelo Williams is a free agent, and he's expected to be on another team for the 2011 season.

I was mad until I saw it was bleacherreport. This could be written by a 10 year old. Don't post bleacher report please. Many idiots on there.

Most experts gave us a B- to an A on our draft.

i agree bleacher report is usually stupid, but this wasnt how good our draft was, its rating teams AFTER the draft. in theory, our draft was great. filled a ton of holes with lots of picks and lots of youth.

but remember the last time we had a big draft how that worked out? 2008. im not gonna post the names because ill throw up all over the screen if i do.

i agree bleacher report is usually stupid, but this wasnt how good our draft was, its rating teams AFTER the draft. in theory, our draft was great. filled a ton of holes with lots of picks and lots of youth.

but remember the last time we had a big draft how that worked out? 2008. im not gonna post the names because ill throw up all over the screen if i do.

Sorry BLC...Had to do it....just puked in my mouth. Sleepy is about it

Devin Thomas WR Michigan State

Fred Davis TE USC

Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma

Chad Rinehart G Northern Iowa

Justin Tryon CB Arizona State

Durant Brooks P Georgia Tech

Kareem Moore DB Nicholls State

Colt Brennan QB Hawaii

Rob Jackson DE Kansas State

I disagree. 2008 was a "sexy" draft but had us scratching our heads when we went WR-TE-WR for the first 3 picks, especially when we quickly found out that one of them had a degenerative knee condition. I don't really remember 2008 being incredibly hyped here (more so than every draft here), except for possible Fantasy Football ramifications.

2011 however, has just seemed to be about as smartly played as possible, while acquiring guys who are labeled to have zero chance at busting and be immediate or future starters in the league.

Archived