Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacher Report: 2011 NFL Power Rankings: Post-NFL Draft Edition- Redskins ranked 32nd

21MadFan

Has any pundit ever been correct on picking the worst team in the league at this point? Rams and Lions have been dueling for that top spot for years now, but they are on the way up. Nobody would have picked Carolina as worst last year, or Miami back in 2008, or Texans in 2006 even. Usually last place goes to a team that is bad, but then suffers through some bad injury luck as well. That could be us, or just about any of half a dozen teams. If Beck fails and, say, Williams or Orakpo goes out early. Yeah, we can lock up that 1st pick. But I think we would need more than just a bad roster to get top pick. We had plenty of bad luck with injuries last year, so I don't really see our injury problem getting WORSE this year. I see us doing about the same or one win worse or better than we did this year.

i still think even if we sign one of those guys, its just a chance at having a better QB in here to help speed up the learning curve of the rookies.

put it this way, if you want receivers to get a better education in the NFL, do you want john beck throwing to them, or matt hasselbeck (regardless of winning games)?

I'm not sure. If you watched Hasselbeck this year, it didn't look like he threw a lot of passes that were on target. And I'm not quite sure what Beck has.

I can tell you I certainly don't want Vince Young.

Paloffs BABY!

I wish you were right, but I see a Class 5 tornado headed our way.

Issues:

OL and QB...untested RB's, the one we have has a propensity for getting hurt. WR's? Maybe a few might stand up. D is looking better personnel wise, but there are still holes and based on last years performance I don't have a lot of confidence.

My guess is we pick in the top 4 to 8 next year - yes that means we do worse.

We are a hybrid mode, but I think rebuild is where its at. We got at least two more drafts to get to a decent place. We need starters, backups, people experienced in playing with each other, experience in the game plans/offense/defense. Way too much to expect anything for a bit...we aren't going anywhere soon.

Our o-line seemed to gel better towards the end of the season and Torain seemed to be a decent rb. At times he looked really good. Our d-line looked better once Bryant took over at NT. They should be better than last year. Rex produced better than McNabb in this system and we started to score more points once Rex took over. Rex may not be here and Beck is an unknown, but I don't see someone like Rex gimping us to the point of 1-15. I really don't see disaster. We may have another losing season, but not a 1-15 debacle.

I dont see us as the worst team in football

As of right now, I'd have to agree that we are THAT bad. QB is THAT important. OL is THAT important. NT as well.... They may have a FA plan, but I just see the worst season in 3 decades coming down the pike. Hey at least it might get us Andrew Luck? LOL

As of right now, I'd have to agree that we are THAT bad. QB is THAT important. OL is THAT important. NT as well.... They may have a FA plan, but I just see the worst season in 3 decades coming down the pike. Hey at least it might get us Andrew Luck? LOL

This is the interesting thing. Our O-Line projects to be the same as last season. We will have Grossman at QB once the collective bargaining is done. We have several players at Nose Tackle who all show some potential. We are no worse off at any of those positions than last year (except maybe McNabb-Grossman at QB). I agree that those are all huge holes in our roster, however those same holes were present in our roster when we went 6-10 last year. If anything we project to improve across the board due to everyone having an extra year in the scheme. Looking at our schedule this year I easily see us finishing somewhere between 5-11 and 8-8 which while weak is still nowhere near bad enough to finish last in the league.

This is the interesting thing. Our O-Line projects to be the same as last season. We will have Grossman at QB once the collective bargaining is done. We have several players at Nose Tackle who all show some potential. We are no worse off at any of those positions than last year (except maybe McNabb-Grossman at QB). I agree that those are all huge holes in our roster, however those same holes were present in our roster when we went 6-10 last year. If anything we project to improve across the board due to everyone having an extra year in the scheme. Looking at our schedule this year I easily see us finishing somewhere between 5-11 and 8-8 which while weak is still nowhere near bad enough to finish last in the league.

McNabb won 5 of those 6 games for us..........well not he himself won them but he was our QB for 5 of those 6 wins.

McNabb won 5 of those 6 games for us..........well not he himself won them but he was our QB for 5 of those 6 wins.

D Hall won two of them (Dallas, Chicago), the wind and Landry won one (Green Bay). McNabb just got lucky enough to be behind center for those games.

Bleacher report isn't a suitable source to be quoting, but. I'll play along anyway.

The Redskins have been an 8-8 team in the past with worse than Rex Grossman. Yes, I'm assuming Grossman will be the quarterback, because of simple logic. A season happening means there's collective bargaining (or some court-imposed analog). Collective bargaining means teams can form contracts with players. Teams being able to form contracts with players means they can sign players who wish to sign with them. Rex Grossman will want to sign with the Redskins because nobody else will want him and he'll get to start. Thus, if there is a season, Rex Grossman will be the starter.

The current roster doesn't matter one bit, considering a lack of playbooks and practice means people on the current roster aren't gaining any advantage over anyone else.

Bleach Report is like reading stuff people post on ES. I could go on B/R right now and write about how the Skins are #1 in the power rankings and someone would post the story on here.

I mean that is the premise basically..... anyone with a computer could blog there.

images-2.jpg

As much as you hate to admit it, tanking it really the only way you get good in sports. Continuously trying to build teams and then ending up 9-7 and 8-8 every year leads to decades of mediocrity.

I know teams in the NHL and NBA tank all the time, but is there any recent history of teams who have gone with the "youth movement" and ended up with a franchise QB. Maybe Atlanta with Matt Ryan? Or St. Louis with Bradford?

They are calling Luck a one in 10-year QB and Barkley isn't bad neither.

Where's Miami ranked?

I think we're a similar team to Miami. What do they have that we don't? Brandon Marshall?

It seems that despite an arguably great (or at least good) draft, we're 32nd on this list because....yup, we don't have a QB.

Sorry, but Henne is right down there with Grossman and Beck. Henne is a steaming pile of **** as a QB.

Yup, just looked. The Dolphins are no. 21 :rolleyes:

Edit: Upon further inspection, every team in the league without a good QB is at the bottom of this list. So at least they're consistent, and I can see why they'd rank this way (even if its subconscious).

Still doesn't explain why the Dolphins are the single exemption to this rule.

Nice selective, bull**** breakdown there. "John Beck is the starter", I guess because technically Rex is a FA. McNabb is still on the roster, but they'll assume he's gone, yet they won't assume Rex is re-signed and there you go: worst-looking result.

No team in the NFL has 'terrible' receivers, and we had 3 with 800+ yards. Ryan Torain messed around and flirted with an NFL rushing record one game, and in a full season would have surely had 1000+. The secondary has LL, candidate for defensive player of the year, DHall who snared 4 INTs in a game, and just added Otagwe (I bet they don't even know that).

"The only thing to really like about this team is the fact that they have Brian Orakpo." how ****ing ignorant.

As other posters have said, if you're going to bash us, bash us right, for ****s sake. I mean really. What a bunch of garbage

Archived