Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bleacher Report: 2011 NFL Power Rankings: Post-NFL Draft Edition- Redskins ranked 32nd

21MadFan

Moss was top ten in total receptions and total yards. He's not a red zone threat because he's 5'10

Hankerson is a red zone threat, and he has speed to back it up.

Our receivers are much improved over last year, and far from terrible.

Moss isn't a red zone threat...correct, but when our kicking game is unreliable, we need guys who can score. I'm glad Moss is so effective between the 20's, but that's something I want out of our #2 or #3 receiver, not the guy who is supposed to be our #1. Now you say Hankerson is a red zone threat with speed to back it up. I thought he ran something like a 4.5 at the combine, faster than I could ever run but not elite by NFL WR standards. Plus which he has a problem with drops. Also, he's never played a down of NFL football.

Nothing is improved yet, most of our receivers have either barely or never played in the NFL. We very well could have one of the worst groups in the entire league. And I say this having loved how our draft turned out.

I disagree. 2008 was a "sexy" draft but had us scratching our heads when we went WR-TE-WR for the first 3 picks, especially when we quickly found out that one of them had a degenerative knee condition. I don't really remember 2008 being incredibly hyped here (more so than every draft here), except for possible Fantasy Football ramifications.

2011 however, has just seemed to be about as smartly played as possible, while acquiring guys who are labeled to have zero chance at busting and be immediate or future starters in the league.

2008 sexy?? we had no WR and we drafted 2. didnt we just draft 3 WR and 2 RB in this draft and its somehow not sexy?? how do you call 5 skill "sexy" positions not sexy? cmon now.

we took a lot of non sexy players in that 2008 draft and it was an abysmal failure.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 03:29 PM ----------

Sorry BLC...Had to do it....just puked in my mouth. Sleepy is about it

Devin Thomas WR Michigan State

Fred Davis TE USC

Malcolm Kelly WR Oklahoma

Chad Rinehart G Northern Iowa

Justin Tryon CB Arizona State

Durant Brooks P Georgia Tech

Kareem Moore DB Nicholls State

Colt Brennan QB Hawaii

Rob Jackson DE Kansas State

lol, i remember feeling so good about this draft. got a great punter, potential QB of the future, 2 high rated skill players, some DBs and an olineman.

and the only player that worked out was the biggest headscratcher, fred davis haha!

I won't even argue where we stand, let me just say this. Due to the NFL lockout, we missed initial free agency just like everyone else. Therefore Rex Grossman and Santana Moss (two positions he names here) are left open because they're "Free Agents". I expect Grossman to sign with the team that gave him his last chance, and also his offensive cord. who seems to be the only person who has faith in him.

If you're going to assume that John Beck is the starting QB because he's on the roster and Grossman is not is just plain stupid. Why? Because if you're assuming this, then you would ACTUALLY say Donovan McNabb is their QB. But why wouldn't you say that? Because you obviously know of the drama that unfolded. So if this writer can use some simple thinking and figure that out, he'll probably also be able to figure out that Beck is not our front runner for starting QB and that it's actually Grossman.

For anyone trying to say that it's leaning towards Beck more so then Grossman you're damn wrong. Why? Because when the season ended for us earlier then week 17 last season, who did they throw in there? It's not like Beck is a rookie, it's not like Beck is even in his first year. Beck is about 30 years old. If they actually believed that Beck was the answer to any question, he would have thrown the ball at least once.

If I'm correct we were ranked 8th in passing yards last year. Failed running game aside, Rex Grossman posted better stats in his games then McNabb did in any of his games. This is a systematic offense, like it or not, we can succeed with a lower tier guy. We're missing a running game, which is in the works.

What do I have to look forward to on this team? Our youthful offense and stronger defense. Armstrong, Banks, the draft picks, our young TE's, our franchise LT, and our new truck load of RB's, including Williams and Torrain.

Ummmmm, who cares? Yes, if we were to take the field tomorrow with only the guys we have under contract or who we drafted we just might be the worst team in football. Does anybody expect that this is the team we will have week 1? This is the most worthless power rankings ever put together. Anybody want to check the power rankings from last year prior to the first preseason game? Cowboys #4, Minnesota #3, Chargers #10, Steelers #19, KC #27, TB #30. And these had a lot more information than the ones that you are arguing about.

2008 sexy?? we had no WR and we drafted 2. didnt we just draft 3 WR and 2 RB in this draft and its somehow not sexy?? how do you call 5 skill "sexy" positions not sexy? cmon now.

we took a lot of non sexy players in that 2008 draft and it was an abysmal failure.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 03:29 PM ----------

lol, i remember feeling so good about this draft. got a great punter, potential QB of the future, 2 high rated skill players, some DBs and an olineman.

and the only player that worked out was the biggest headscratcher, fred davis haha!

I believe that's wrong actually. Tyron didn't work out, but got us a draft pick this year. He's also a decent CB on the Colts. We still honestly don't know about Malcolm. Kareem Moore is still on the roster and is the only other person aside from OJ who can play FS. Sleepy Davis is good.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 03:46 PM ----------

Ummmmm, who cares? Yes, if we were to take the field tomorrow with only the guys we have under contract or who we drafted we just might be the worst team in football. Does anybody expect that this is the team we will have week 1? This is the most worthless power rankings ever put together. Anybody want to check the power rankings from last year prior to the first preseason game? Cowboys #4, Minnesota #3, Chargers #10, Steelers #19, KC #27, TB #30. And these had a lot more information than the ones that you are arguing about.

I agree 100%. This is released purely because the draft just got done, and NFL fans need something to click while we're waiting.

I believe that's wrong actually. Tyron didn't work out, but got us a draft pick this year. He's also a decent CB on the Colts. We still honestly don't know about Malcolm. Kareem Moore is still on the roster and is the only other person aside from OJ who can play FS. Sleepy Davis is good.

what is wrong, that the draft was terrible? cmon. thomas was a mammoth bust, kelly is as well (regardless of the hope that some still hold on to). rinehart was a mammoth flop, we cut that punter like 6 games in, tryon was traded for a 7th rounder, moore is a weak safety who has already been replaced in FA, brennan never saw the field, and jackson is a super depth guy who probably wont make the roster.

that draft was AWFUL outside of davis. so from our entire 2008 we got a backup tight end and a backup FS. talk about production!

what is wrong, that the draft was terrible? cmon. thomas was a mammoth bust, kelly is as well (regardless of the hope that some still hold on to). rinehart was a mammoth flop, we cut that punter like 6 games in, tryon was traded for a 7th rounder, moore is a weak safety who has already been replaced in FA, brennan never saw the field, and jackson is a super depth guy who probably wont make the roster.

that draft was AWFUL outside of davis. so from our entire 2008 we got a backup tight end and a backup FS. talk about production!

Well, you are forgetting Chris Horton. Two backup safeties!

It's hard to argue with his assessment. Which team is in a worse position than us? I mean, Carolina has a tremendous offensive line and rushing attack, paired with an elite receiver. Cleveland......Cincinnati but they did have a top defense two seasons back. I'm not complaining though, this team needs and infusion of highly talented and touted rookies and one draft isn't going to do it.

I can definitely see us near the bottom of the list, but...Raiders, anyone? Titans? Broncos? As for Carolina's rushing attack, D. Williams is a free agent and even if he wasn't, he and J. Stewart can't seem to be healthy at the same time. I also don't know that S. Smith is "elite" anymore. I mean, I love the guy, but I'm not sure. Could be a quarterback thing, but doesn't really matter since it doesn't seem like he's gonna be back there either. I only mention that, because I'm giving the Bleacher Report guy credit for basing some of his statements on the fact that guys like C. Rogers, S. Moss, D. McNabb (?) are free agents and, as such, are not technically on the team right now.

I can definitely see us near the bottom of the list, but...Raiders, anyone? As for Carolina's rushing attack, D. Williams is a free agent and even if he wasn't, he and J. Stewart can't seem to be healthy at the same time. I also don't know that S. Smith is "elite" anymore. I mean, I love the guy, but I'm not sure. Could be a quarterback thing, but doesn't really matter since it doesn't seem like he's gonna be back there either. I only mention that, because I'm giving the Bleacher Report guy credit for basing some of his statements on the fact that guys like C. Rogers, S. Moss, D. McNabb (?) are free agents and, as such, are not technically on the team right now.

Oakland is interesting. A ton of young talent, losing their best player, their HC who everyone played their asses off for, a solid LG on their weak line bolting. They did go 8-8 last season and I can only imagine guys like Lamar Houston and Rolando McClain will only get better in year two. Then again, who is playing corner for that team is beyond me and Jason Campbell is their QB and I don't have much to say on that one.

As for Carolina, yeah, Williams and Stewart do have the injury concerns but when they both get on the field together it's pretty much unstoppable. I would still argue that S. Smith is elite, but as you mentioned the QB situation makes it real hard on him, especially if you pile on the fact that he's the only receiver on that roster. But hell, it all could change with that Newton character. I did in Atlanta and it did in St. Louis(not as big of an extent)

i hope thats true and we go 1-15 and get luck next year, howver i hope our D is really good and young players get pt.

thats what we need to hope for.

good running game, oline shored up, receivers making some good plays that flash potential.

defense gets stronger, pass rush gets better, but we lose a lot of close games, go 2-14, get luck i guess.

wake me up when its december lol.

Oakland is interesting. A ton of young talent, losing their best player, their HC who everyone played their asses off for, a solid LG on their weak line bolting. They did go 8-8 last season and I can only imagine guys like Lamar Houston and Rolando McClain will only get better in year two. Then again, who is playing corner for that team is beyond me and Jason Campbell is their QB and I don't have much to say on that one.

I added Titans and Broncos to that list since they came to me after I wrote that original post. Titans are pretty weak across the board. Broncos a little better, but new head coach, awful run D last year, questions at QB, awful record last year were why I put them on the list. I agree about Raiders D, but they'll lose Nnamdi which definitely isn't gonna help.

The hyperbole is unnecessary but in the end it's honestly hard to argue with it.

I wouldn't rank us any higher than 26-28 if I was going to do a power rankings right now.

But honestly how could they put Carolina above us? haha

I added Titans and Broncos to that list since they came to me after I wrote that original post. Titans are pretty weak across the board. Broncos a little better, but new head coach, awful run D last year, questions at QB, awful record last year were why I put them on the list. I agree about Raiders D, but they'll lose Nnamdi which definitely isn't gonna help.

The Titans O looks good aside from the QB position, but apparently they want a veteran to be the opening day starter, they could surprise some people but I don't see more than 6 wins if Locker takes the reigns week one. CJ and the line can only do so much, and legit receivers like Britt will be rendered useless. Denver has problems everywhere. Unless Von Miller gets 25 sacks that D is going to be on the field for a vast majority of the game and that secondary will be in the cold tub until Friday at the earliest after games on Sunday.

We always talk about embracing the role of the underdog, but I'll tell you it's getting annoying to see your team finally do well in something and STILL not get recognized for it. Oh well, I'm sure we'll still be expected to sign big name free agents once their allowed and, maybe, just maybe, Danny boy will prove them right.

We always talk about embracing the role of the underdog, but I'll tell you it's getting annoying to see your team finally do well in something and STILL not get recognized for it. Oh well, I'm sure we'll still be expected to sign big name free agents once their allowed and, maybe, just maybe, Danny boy will prove them right.

I think we are getting noticed for it...but by the fans. I'll talk to fans of other teams and just mention how I thought our draft was pretty solid and they'll instantly agree with me, saying the Skins haven't drafted like that in awhile.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/686939-nfl-power-rankings-post-nfl-draft-edition/page/2.

WTH!!! No way, no how we should be ranked last. Hahaha.

32. Washington Redskins

Well, you gotta prove it on the field. Even though I feel like at least half of this years draftees will be solid contributors (at least on Teams) truthfully we don't know. If there aren't any OTA's soon then that means a lot of those Rookies will be pressed into action with little training. I can't imagine that the staff wouldn't keep them to see what they got; thus cutting some older productive vets. If you go by what's on paper then and with so many question marks we'd be close to the bottom. I personally think we'll improve over last year's record but I'm a Redskins fan who typically tries to look at the bright side.

Just what the hell is a "power ranking" anyway?

Can't say I disagree with assessing our team low at this point anyway,, we haven't got any QB to speak of

But i still have no idea what a power ranking is supposed to convey that pretty much every other ranking, including standings, fails to do.

~Bang

Archived