Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Am I right to be paranoid about using wireless headphones

Elessar78

I'm paranoid that my wireless headphones, if I keep using them, will make me more susceptible to brain cancer down the road. Am I wrong to think this way? I don't know the science behind it, but it seems like the radio waves being pumped directly around my head can't be good.

I'm drawing the distinction from "tethered" headphones because the signal travels through a wire.

Yes you are wrong. Non-ionizing radiation does NOT cause cancer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-ionizing_radiation

I love statements like this.

Let's be clear. Studies can be inconclusive. That means we just don't know. In the case of electrical and magnetic fields, we just don't know. The best studies we have are those that involve childhood leukemia and high power lines. This is one type of non inozing radiation that you definitively state does not cause cancer. Well, the studies are inconclusive. The first big study said yes there was an increased risk. That was 1979. Recent studies are mixed at best. SO you should be careful believing everything you read on wikipedia. Don't believe me? Go to the NCI website.

You better go hide in Antartica then because you are bombarded constantly w/ radio waves whether you're wearing headphones or not. It isn't like they "attract" the signal when you put 'em on.

Well the fact is that I'm a minimal cell phone user. MAYBE 15 minutes a day. I have headphones on for work 6 hours a day. If I'm cooking my skull and it's contents with radiowaves for the next 30 years am I increasing my risk? Sure it can arise independently of whatever I do, but if it's something within my control.

There's a difference between headphones, which are just receiving a signal, and cell phones which broadcast one. Your body is constantly bombarded with radio signals, FM stations, CBs, garage door openers, yadda yadda yadda........ we live in a sea of electromagnetic impulses that a century ago didn't exist and there may be some physiological effect from it but there isn't a whole lot that you can do about it without drastic measures taken at a specific location.

Wireless headphones are just like listening to a radio station, when you turn it off does the signal disappear? No, you're just not receiving/translating it with hardware, but it's still there. You'll probably suffer more damage to your hearing from headphones than any possible risk from them being wireless.

I love statements like this.

Let's be clear. Studies can be inconclusive. That means we just don't know. In the case of electrical and magnetic fields, we just don't know. The best studies we have are those that involve childhood leukemia and high power lines. This is one type of non inozing radiation that you definitively state does not cause cancer. Well, the studies are inconclusive. The first big study said yes there was an increased risk. That was 1979. Recent studies are mixed at best. SO you should be careful believing everything you read on wikipedia. Don't believe me? Go to the NCI website.

My experience with electromagnetic radiation doesn't come from Wiki. I am a third generation broadcast engineer who has been working around radio antennas since I was 12. My grandfather who is 85, has been around them for all his life and is still healthy with no cancer. There has been no conclusive evidence that it does cause cancer and from a physics standpoint COULD NOT cause cancer.

There are many more things to be scared of in this world than low levels of Non-Ionizing Radiation.

Keep reaching though. It doesn't make you look paranoid. :rolleyes:

How cell phones may damage tissue

A way that cell-phone radio-frequency radiation could damage biological tissue has been identified by Bill Bruno, a theoretical biologist at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico.

He says that the traditional argument for cell phone and cell phone tower microwave safety only applies when the number of photons of radio-frequency energy is less than one in a volume of space equivalent to a cubic wavelength. When the density of photons is higher than this, other effects can come into play.

Bruno points to the example of “optical tweezers,” in which coherent photons combine to push, pull, and rotate small objects such as cells, because a force is generated when dielectric objects sit in an electric field gradient associated with the photons.

The damage that optical tweezers can do to structures in cells is well reported, he says. That’s because of the large change in refractive index at the edge of cellular structures such as vesicles and myelin sheaths, and the high density of photons.

Optical tweezers generally work at infrared frequencies. The question that Bruno poses is whether a similar effect could also work for microwave frequencies. Is there a high enough density of microwave photons from cellphones to generate a force capable of damaging biological tissues, and are there structures in the body with the required dielectric properties to be susceptible?

He points out that the density of microwave photons from cell phones and cell phone towers is many orders of magnitude higher than one per cubic wavelength, and urges caution in the way that safe dosage limits are determined.

Archived