Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011-12 CAA Football Thread

bushwack

With ODU's Spring Game being tomorrow and this being ODU's first year as a football member in the CAA, I figured I would create a thread dedicated to CAA football, and give us ES CAA fans a place to banter and talk smack with one another.

CAA football is quite different from basketball in that the teams 11 teams that currently make up the CAA football conference are:

Delaware

JMU

Maine

UMass

New Hampshire

ODU

Rhode Island

Richmond

Towson

Villanova

W&M

For those of you who have not already heard this will be the last season that UMass will be in the CAA for football. Starting next year they will be moving up to the FBS level and will be a member of the MAC.

Also, there had been rumors circulating for months on whether Villanova had an invite to join the Big East, and supposedly they were going to make a decision on April 12th; however, it appears as if they did not have an invitation, but I still believe it's only a matter of a few years (2-3) before Villanova will be playing football in the Big East.

The CAA football conference has been labeled the "SEC of the FCS" since the CAA has several teams who are capable of winning the National Championship year in and year out. Here's to another great season, and I'm glad that ODU Football now has a conference to call home, even if that home is the toughest conference in the FCS.

You won your Super Bowl though.

:)

I know the 2nd half of the season wasn't very good, but beating VT last year still had to make it a good year for JMU.

Plus JMU will be unveiling their new upgraded 25,000 seat stadium, just another step setting up the process of moving up the FBS level.

Lemme get like......3 conference wins aight word

I believe we should start out 3-0 with games vs. Campbell, @ Georgia St., and vs. Hampton. Then if we can get 3 conference wins I'd be ecstatic, and if we get more than 3 wins then I would be absolutely giddy.

Our roster is shaping up to be beast this year, with a few years in the conference we will be a monster

Even though he frustrates the hell out of me at times with his accuracy, I'm glad we have DeMarco as QB for our 1st year in the CAA, even if it is only for one year.

ODU's defense dominated the offense in the spring game yesterday winning 42-3.

http://www.odusports.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/042311aaa.html

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/04/odu-defense-dominates-spring-game

A bit of bad news for ODU on Friday, when DE Andrew Turner ruptured his left Achilles tendon during a mini-workout and is expected to miss 5-6 months.

Also, the Oyster Bowl will be making a comeback to Foreman Field this fall when JMU comes to town to take on ODU. The Oyster Bowl had been played at Foreman Field from 1946-95.

Not really lol. When I was there my sophmore year, we were ranked in the Top 25 for one point, but since then, its been all downhill.

At least you all have football though, and like you said you all do play against Maryland this year. It could be worse, you could have no football team, and sitting around just waiting for basketball to begin.

Also, if Towson ever wanted to move up and become Div 1 (FBS level) entirely, they have the most needed piece a football team, while they need to become successful, who knows that could very well happen 5-10 years down the road. Football drives conference realignment, and Towson still has the asset it needs if they ever want to move to the next level.

Plus, if Towson can turn their football program around they won't be left in the dark when the CAA either moves up to the FBS level or falls by the waste side, when several schools (ODU, JMU, UD, and possibly W&M) leave for BCS conferences in the years to come.

• 2 months later...

I know I'm a few days late with the news, and I'm sure it's already been posted in the other college football thread, but JMU will be playing WVU on September 15th, 2012 at FedEx Field.

http://www.dailymail.com/Sports/201106260119

This is a huge step for JMU, to get a FBS power team, to agree to play on a neutral field with an FCS team. Hopefully JMU does well and this continues to open doors for the other CAA football teams in the future in trying to get FBS teams to take them seriously and schedule either neutral site games or home & home series.

Edit: On a later side note, it was announced back in April that UMass will be leaving the CAA to go to the MAC. This upcoming season will be the last for UMass in the CAA for football.

• 1 month later...
bumping this. it's about that time gentlemen! CAA media day the other day. Old dominion picked to finish second to last. No surprise there.

PS. No vcu fans allowed in this thread! keep the dream alive, though! hahahaha...

Don't forget about Mason fans as well.

Anyways, only 30 days until the first game!

Here's a list of the preseason rankings for this upcoming year:

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?500-2011-FCS-Consolidated-Preseason-Ranking

CAA teams:

#2 William & Mary

#6 Delaware

#11 New Hampshire

#14 Richmond

#18 James Madison

#19 Villanova

#23 UMass

Once again it appears as if the CAA will be the class of the FCS. 7 out of 11 teams are ranked in the top 25 in preseason, and it's going to be another murder's row in CAA play this upcoming season.

As for ODU being picked 10th out of 11 schools, I wouldn't be surprised to see ODU upset a team or 2 in the CAA and finish more around 8th in their first season in the league.

As a W&M student I have to hype my team right here!

We ended last season ranked pretty high, ending #10 due to a poor playoff showing. We were ranking #1 at times with a QB carousel and our star RB hurt. This year we'll have some stability at QB, probably with Mike Paulus (Yes, that is Greg Paulus's brother and former UNC QB) and our RB, Jon Grimes will be healthy again. Expect big things. Our defense is always stout and we run a solid prostyle offense. Some pre-season polls have us at #1. We'll probably lose a couple games cause our schedule is so hard with our conference. We play UVA at UVA for our first game...we beat them 2 years ago in C-Ville pretty nicely, 26-14. I hope for a repeat of that.

As a W&M student I have to hype my team right here!

We ended last season ranked pretty high, ending #10 due to a poor playoff showing. We were ranking #1 at times with a QB carousel and our star RB hurt. This year we'll have some stability at QB, probably with Mike Paulus (Yes, that is Greg Paulus's brother and former UNC QB) and our RB, Jon Grimes will be healthy again. Expect big things. Our defense is always stout and we run a solid prostyle offense. Some pre-season polls have us at #1. We'll probably lose a couple games cause our schedule is so hard with our conference. We play UVA at UVA for our first game...we beat them 2 years ago in C-Ville pretty nicely, 26-14. I hope for a repeat of that.

It's definitely going to be tougher for W&M to go up to Charlottesville and beat UVA like they did 2 years ago. If anything, beating them 2 years ago, you all got their full attention, and Mike London will make sure his team is ready to play. With that said, I still believe W&M has the talent to go up there, and I refuse to say upset UVA, because it wouldn't be an upset if W&M won this game on Sept. 3rd. Both teams are pretty even, and I would give W&M the edge based on their QB and RB compared to UVA's QB and RB.

It's definitely going to be tougher for W&M to go up to Charlottesville and beat UVA like they did 2 years ago. If anything, beating them 2 years ago, you all got their full attention, and Mike London will make sure his team is ready to play. With that said, I still believe W&M has the talent to go up there, and I refuse to say upset UVA, because it wouldn't be an upset if W&M won this game on Sept. 3rd. Both teams are pretty even, and I would give W&M the edge based on their QB and RB compared to UVA's QB and RB.

I think we will both be better than 09. We're getting better recruits in the 'burg as well. It'll be a good game. One I think W&M can pull out esp since it'll be UVA's QB's first game starting, no matter who it is.

Meh, gave up my 4 ODU season tickets this year. That stadium is so cramped it was miserable. I know, I know, what can you expect from small school college football. But the increase in ticket prices combined with the thought of 7 home games sitting on a grooved metal bleacher for 3.5 hours was more than I could take. However, I still say "GO BIG BLUE!"

Meh, gave up my 4 ODU season tickets this year. That stadium is so cramped it was miserable. I know, I know, what can you expect from small school college football. But the increase in ticket prices combined with the thought of 7 home games sitting on a grooved metal bleacher for 3.5 hours was more than I could take. However, I still say "GO BIG BLUE!"

I'd rather be at a game that is packed and has a great atmosphere like ODU does, instead of going to a game at Villanova who can't get fans to show up even during their national title run in '09.

• 4 weeks later...

The season kicks off in only 3 days!

Match ups for CAA teams for Week 1:

JMU @ UNC 3:30 p.m. (9/3/11)

Delaware @ Navy 3:30 p.m. (9/3/11)

Bryant University @ Maine 5 p.m. (9/3/11)

W&M @ UVA 6 p.m. (9/3/11)

Campbell @ ODU 6 p.m. (9/3/11)

Morgan St. @ Towson 7 p.m. (9/3/11)

Richmond @ Duke 7 p.m. (9/3/11)

Villanova @ Temple 7 p.m. (9/1/11)

New Hampshire @ Toledo 7 p.m. (9/1/11)

UMass @ Holy Cross 8 p.m. (9/1/11)

Archived