Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daily Caller: Teachers Support Cop Killer

LeesburgSkinFan

Between negotiating for more benefits and teaching their students, the California Federation of Teachers has adopted a resolution of support for convicted cop-killer Mumia Abu-Jamal.

At the CFT’s 2011 Convention in late March, the delegates passed 30 resolutions, from solidifying support for anti-bullying legislation to supporting transitional kindergarten. Among the resolutions largely pertaining to education and collective bargaining rights was Resolution 19 – to “Reaffirm support for death row journalist.”

“Therefore, be it resolved, that the California Federation of Teachers reaffirm its support and demand that the courts consider the evidence of innocence of Mumia Abu-Jamal,” the Committee Report reads.

Mumia Abu-Jamal was a former member of the Black Panthers who was found guilty of murdering Philadelphia police officer Daniel J. Faulkner during a routine traffic stop in 1981. Abu-Jamal was subsequently sentenced to death.

His supporters, such as the California Federation of Teachers, argue that his trial was unfair and that he is a civil rights hero.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2011/04/11/teachers-support-cop-killer/#ixzz1JGCE82Nf

Ok, this is in bad taste, but I can't resist...

MEFXM.gif

Anyhow, they think Mumia is innocent, so they don't think they are supporting a cop killer. I think they are wrong, but it's not as simple as "choosing murderers over cops blah blah blah."

There's a rapper, from Texas I think, who is serving life in prison for murder. He's recorded all his albums over the payphone in the jail. Can't remember dudes name for the life of me.

Anyway, I have a question. What's the line between a person being able to redeem themselves or not being able to? Is anyone redeemable if they do enough to make ammends? Or are there some who are doomed no matter what? Their crime was so heinous it can never be forgiven?

Anyway, I have a question. What's the line between a person being able to redeem themselves or not being able to? Is anyone redeemable if they do enough to make ammends? Or are there some who are doomed no matter what? Their crime was so heinous it can never be forgiven?

Can you restore a life?...How else do you make amends for killing the innocent?

Forgiveness does not mean removing consequences...unless you are God(and even He doesn't do that for your life here)

The case seems rather obvious, we have dna and other things in 2011 that should be able to set him free or correct those that suport the underdog to pick a better recipient.

BEWARE: wiki:

The prosecution presented four witnesses to the court. Robert Chobert, a cab driver who claimed he was parked behind Faulkner, identified Abu-Jamal as the shooter.[31] Cynthia White, a prostitute, testified that a man emerged from a nearby parking lot and shot Faulkner.[32] Michael Scanlon, a motorist, testified that from two car lengths away, he saw a man, matching Abu-Jamal's description, run across the street from a parking lot and shoot Faulkner.[33] Albert Magilton, a pedestrian who did not see the actual murder, testified to witnessing Faulkner pull over Cook's car. At the point of seeing Abu-Jamal start to cross the street toward them from the parking lot, Magilton turned away and lost sight of what happened next.[34]

The prosecution also presented two witnesses who were present at the hospital after the altercation. Hospital security guard Priscilla Durham and Police Officer Garry Bell testified that Abu-Jamal confessed in the hospital by saying, "I shot the motherxxxxxxx, and I hope the motherxxxxxxx dies."[35]

A .38 caliber Charter Arms revolver, belonging to Abu-Jamal, with five spent cartridges was retrieved beside him at the scene. He was wearing a shoulder holster, and the shell casings and rifling characteristics of the weapon were consistent with bullet fragments taken from Faulkner's body.[36] Tests to confirm that Abu-Jamal had handled and fired the weapon were not performed, as contact with arresting police and other surfaces at the scene could have compromised the forensic value of such tests.[37][38]

drop the gun and bullets and eye witnesses: This was his worst mistake: He tried to represent himself and the Judge made him stop after one day of disruptions.

Actual court documents:

http://www.justice4danielfaulkner.com/Days/7-3-82.html (transcripts)

In his statement Abu-Jamal criticized his attorney as a "legal trained lawyer" who was imposed on him against his will and who "knew he was inadequate to the task and chose to follow the directions of this black-robed conspirator

Trying to be your own lawyer? That never works.

The California Teachers Union can support whoever they want. However, why this is in their interest is a bit beyond me.

As for redemption, there is always a cost. Either the offender pays for it through their sentence/fine/restitution, or the victim pays for it through an ongoing act of forgiveness. However, I think as anyone who has ever really deeply been wronged knows, there is no such thing as redemption without a price.

Can you restore a life?...How else do you make amends for killing the innocent?

Forgiveness does not mean removing consequences...unless you are God(and even He doesn't do that for your life here)

I'm not talking about removing consequences or freeing a person. While I have a problem with the death penalty, I have no hang ups about locking a person up for life if they deserve it.

My question was more about if/when a person can be accepted back in the world as a contributing member of society; as a human being again (not necessarily in a physical, free from prison way.) Are some crimes too henious for that ever to happen? What's the boundary? Or can the amount and quality of the work and contributions of the individual erase all boundaries?

I hope that makes sense. Obviously, for personal reasons, this is something I spend a lot of time thinking about. Can a person ever truly be free again. Or will a past mistake define his entire existence for all of history. (Plus I've been drinking a little.)

How is the Mumia Abu-Jamal case in any way relevant to the California Federation of Teachers? The shooting happened 30 years ago a continent away. That resolution is just stupid and needlessly inflammatory. The leaders responsible for adopting it should be removed for frivolously wasting the union's time.

Archived