Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nice hotels in Northern VA and DC?

Slateman

I get married at the end of April. The place I thought I had reserved to stay in before we left for New Zealand is now saying they have no record of my reservation. I go to rebook and its now three times as expensive.

I'm not sure if they're trying to pull a fast one on me or not, but I figure I may as well shop around.

So . . . any nice, romantic hotels to stay in around the NOVA/ DC area. We're sticking around from the 29th till May 4th.

The Mayflower on 16th st

"Opened in 1925 and quickly labeled Washington, DC's "Second Best Address" by President Harry Truman, The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel is the Progressive Grand Dame of the Nation's Capital, and a 4-diamond Washington, DC luxury hotel. With a timeless aura highlighted by an abundance of modern conveniences, this historic hotel near Dupont Circle is perfectly located in downtown and is a proud member of Historic Hotels of America. Our luxury hotel in Washington, DC features 650 guest accommodations and 74 handsomely-appointed suites, and is close to the national monuments and museums. Ideal for leisure and business, this historic hotel offers exceptional meeting, banquet and event space, complete with an on-site floral boutique, multiple dining options and a Thomas Pink retail store. With a Grand Ballroom that has served as the backdrop for every Presidential Inaugural Ball from Coolidge through Reagan, the historic charm of the Mayflower Renaissance luxury Washington, DC hotel is unmatched."

The Willard is very nice. It's actually the place where the term "lobbiest" was born. Back in ye olde days, people used to gather and schmooze in the Willard's Lobby and a lot of back room deals were made.

It's a beautiful place.... but expensive.

p.s.- I would use Hotwire. I've used hotwire twice before and got a 5-star resort (fairmont) for under $200/night (normally 350-400) I also got a really nice hotel in downtown san diego that's normally $300/night for $140. You don't know what hotel you're getting, but you can find 4 and 5-star hotels for significantly cheaper.

p.s.- I would use Hotwire. I've used hotwire twice before and got a 5-star resort (fairmont) for under $200/night (normally 350-400) I also got a really nice hotel in downtown san diego that's normally $300/night for $140. You don't know what hotel you're getting, but you can find 4 and 5-star hotels for significantly cheaper.

I'm somewhat suspect. Hotwire is hiding the names of some hotels. How am I supposed to know where it is. "Fairfax" is a broad term around NOVA.

Hotel Dupont. Whatever the top floor is called. Room was $600 for me. VERY nicely laid out, has a balcony (ours was shared with next room but never saw them), has iPad, two HDTVs (and this is the non-suite), complimentary fruit and alcohol (Bean, Grey Goose, red wine, white wine, beer, and more) and drinks (water and sodas). I pretty much looted the whole place of the free food and alcohol like the cheap **** I am when it was time to check out. WARNING There is no "door" to the bathroom but merely a stylish frosted glass wall so if either of you have to take a dump, I'd recommend the other go out to the balcony or go OUTSIDE the room for courtesy sake due to the clear ability to hear sounds.

Hotel W. Near the White House. I personally stayed in one of the regular rooms which wasn't anything particulary special, so not sure what the nicer ones are like, but the place has a nice rooftop lounge called POV which used to be a romantic restaurant that was commonly recommended in DC. Saw fireworks here for 4th of July and it was pretty packed, not sure what it's like on a non-holiday. Also has a highly rated steakhouse (I think #3 according to Washingtonian last year). Oh yeah, you can see the shadow of the person through the wall from the bedroom when they are taking a shower.

I'm somewhat suspect. Hotwire is hiding the names of some hotels. How am I supposed to know where it is. "Fairfax" is a broad term around NOVA.
Hotwire/Priceline do not tell you the name of the hotel, but there are other clues. You get to choose from very specific geographical areas and levels of quality that allow you to narrow down to 2-3 hotels which can be identified with a bit of research. Once I started using them, I will never not use them to book a hotel again.

Hotwire/Priceline do not tell you the name of the hotel, but there are other clues. You get to choose from very specific geographical areas and levels of quality that allow you to narrow down to 2-3 hotels which can be identified with a bit of research. Once I started using them, I will never not use them to book a hotel again.

Yeah, you can figure it out with the clues.... it'll tell you what star it is, if it's a resort or not, and the amenities. If it says it has a tennis court, you can narrow down the options. Hotwire is awesome.

Yeah, you can figure it out with the clues.... it'll tell you what star it is, if it's a resort or not, and the amenities. If it says it has a tennis court, you can narrow down the options. Hotwire is awesome.

This. I used Hotwire looking for a hotel around Richmond once, and I was able to use the map, ratings, and amenities to narrow it down to two possibilities, both of which were fine by me.

I would also recommend one of the Kimpton properties for an interesting, unique room.

Also use corporate rates when booking (IBM, Accenture, HP, etc) in DC some of the defense contractors (Lockheed, Boeing, etc) may have good rates. You will only get asked for ID if you ask for the govt rate.

Archived