Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My Mock draft for us 1st and 2nd round..

kellydude

I think we trade down with the Rams to 14 and take Ryan Mallett. I think we take that NT Paea (sp) in round 2. The only problem is that the Vikes may take him at 12.

I don't see us taking Mallett at all in this draft.

As for the original mock, no way do we take McElroy in round 2. If we take a QB in round it'll be someone like Dalton

I think we trade down with the Rams to 14 and take Ryan Mallett. I think we take that NT Paea (sp) in round 2. The only problem is that the Vikes may take him at 12.

Mallet's lack of mobility makes him the exact opposite of what Mike/Kyle wan't in a QB. We won't be taking a QB in the 1st round unless it's Gabbert.

My prediction is Jones then Dalton in the 2nd.

Mallet's lack of mobility makes him the exact opposite of what Mike/Kyle wan't in a QB. We won't be taking a QB in the 1st round unless it's Gabbert.

Lol. I think this Mobility thing gets played out too much- especially when the mobile QBs don't really win crap. Do you take a short weak armed QB who is fast or a Tall Power armed QB with slow foot speed? Do you pass up Tom Brady because of his 5.23 40 time? I think Brady is exactly the QB the Shannys would love. Sure Rothleisburger was 4.94 and Even the slow Manning ran a 4.8ish- all Shanny QBs Im sure.

His size, power arm, 32-12 TD/int, 65% completion in a fast SEC and power arm and power arm trump this lack of mobility-especially at pick 10.

Its his attitude, not his footspeed that will hurt him.

I think he is in play for us. Just like Shanny not interviewing Cutler before he chose him, Mallett has a chance of becoming a Redskin.

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 07:45 PM ----------

I like Locker, except that his not great accuracy fell in his Sr year...a typically bad sign. He was a 58% then went back down to 55%.

You need accuracy. Maybe not all QBs can have Bradford Accuracy (69% and 67%), but a 55% completiton % is a big big big red flag. I rather have Mallett's 65% completion % as a Sr than Locker's 55%.

One of the dumbest things I have ever heard is that being like Pennington is a bad thing. If you could get Pennington in round 5 you would jump at it. If he hadn't had so many injuries, who knows how his career would have been. In case you didn't know Pennington was a nominee for MVP in 2008, is the all-time leader in completion percentage, and has a 90 QB rating for his career.

Considering Greg is projected as a 5-6 rounder...no.

I'd take Julio and Locker or Julio, Justin Houston and then Greg in the 5th.

If Justin Houston were still there when we pick in the 2nd round, we'd have ourselves a steal. While your scenario is pretty solid, I'd prefer drafting Defense in the first two rounds. You're right about McElroy, he's likely a 5th rounder.

Lol. I think this Mobility thing gets played out too much- especially when the mobile QBs don't really win crap. Do you take a short weak armed QB who is fast or a Tall Power armed QB with slow foot speed? Do you pass up Tom Brady because of his 5.23 40 time? I think Brady is exactly the QB the Shannys would love. Sure Rothleisburger was 4.94 and Even the slow Manning ran a 4.8ish- all Shanny QBs Im sure.

His size, power arm, 32-12 TD/int, 65% completion in a fast SEC and power arm and power arm trump this lack of mobility-especially at pick 10.

Its his attitude, not his footspeed that will hurt him.

I think he is in play for us. Just like Shanny not interviewing Cutler before he chose him, Mallett has a chance of becoming a Redskin.

Don't forget his elongated JCesque release. If he cant get the ball out quickly, he's gonna die behind our O-line. Dalton did more with less weapons than Mallet could. Mallet has bust written all over him, physical freak but dumb as a ****ing rock.

Don't forget his elongated JCesque release. If he cant get the ball out quickly, he's gonna die behind our O-line. Dalton did more with less weapons than Mallet could. Mallet has bust written all over him, physical freak but dumb as a ****ing rock.

You have a good point about the release. The getting the ball out quickly issue is two fold: 1. Can he make the reads quickly. JC was not quick enough mentally to read things quickly. I dont think this will be a problem for Mallett but I dont know. He had a 65% completion % in the SEC 2. A long windup causes defenses to adjust a tad bit quicker and the small throwing windows in the NFL get smaller. Arguably, Mallett's arm makes up for this. Hopefully the Shannys can coach him out of this.

Mallett has question marks, no doubt. He can bust. If Mallett doesnt have some question marks, he would go top 3, and we would never be able to draft him ala Bradford. What is assurred is that if we draft a late round QB, after pick 32, unless you catch lightening in a bottle and get a Brady, you have a 99% chance you will not get a franchise QB capable of winning a SB in this day and age of modern scouting. Aside from Brady who is a 6 sigma event, QBs picked after pick 32, ala first round QBs, don't ever win SBs.

The guy got into Michigan and scored a 26 on the Wonderlic (McCrap scored a 14)....not really dumb.

---------- Post added March-21st-2011 at 09:56 PM ----------

If there is one thing Shanny can do is that I feel he is good at judging QB talent. If there is no potential franchise QB at 10, then we should not take one and we should take a flier on one in the way later rounds. Obviously, if there is one that is great, he wont last until 10. But we have HOF coaches for a reason and they should be able to figure out if a slightly flawed potential franchise QB prospect can fix these issues or not.

Our offense isn't the typical Shanahan roll out anymore. It has more of Kyle's straight drop backs. Contrary to popular belief, Mallett is actually pretty decent on the run.

The guy got into Michigan and scored a 26 on the Wonderlic (McCrap scored a 14)....not really dumb.

1) A football player getting into a good school is not like a normal person getting into a good school.

2) I don't think people realize how easy the Wonderlic is.

Matt Schaub isn't exactly the most athletic QB in the league either. If a coach can't work his system to the strengths of his players then he isn't a good coach.

Archived