Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jaguars release WR Mike Sims-Walker. Now a UFA until late Thursday. (EDIT: TIMES UP)

Oldskool

Best Safety tandem in the NFL  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Best Safety tandem in the NFL

• Redskins: Atogwe/L. Landry
    • Ravens: Reed/D. Landry
    • Steelers: Clark/Polamalu
    • Other (name your own)

At this point, our team can't really afford NOT to take a look at a young talented guy like that. He'll come cheap and at worst provide depth (and maybe we can not go into the season depending on a WR who's played a handful of games in 3 seasons).

---------- Post added March-4th-2011 at 01:23 AM ----------

Didn't they extend it until tomorrow at midnight?

Yes. They did.

History has proven to stay away from cut Jaguar receivers.

Reggie Williams....

Matt Jones.....

Ernest Wilford...

Jerry Porter...

Troy Williamson

They all went to the Jags and after they were cut no one heard from them again.

I'm telling you as a former season ticket holder for the Jaguars. They dont just get rid of wide receivers unless there is a big problem there. They cant afford to sign big free agent wide receivers so when they have a good receiver already on the roster their not just going to let him get away unless there's an issue. Proceed with caution.

Where there is smoke there's fire!

---------- Post added March-4th-2011 at 12:42 AM ----------

I don't believe he was released. I think he just will not be re-signing with them. He will be a FA when a new CBA is reached, along with all the other FA's.

Nope

"The Jaguars told receiver Mike Sims-Walker they were moving on from him. Jaguars general manager Gene Smith informed Sims-Walker, who has been with the Jaguars since they drafted him in 2007. "

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2011-03-04/story/marcedes-lewis-signs-tender-offer-jaguars-make-flurry

I don't believe he was released. I think he just will not be re-signing with them. He will be a FA when a new CBA is reached, along with all the other FA's.

Yes, I was a bit confused because the title of this thread and the OP didn't seem to agree. The OP seemed to say he just wasn't re-signed. As I understood it, only street guys (guys who did not play last year or were recently cut) and your own FAs could be signed.

brittle? he's only missed 5 games in 2 years. mal'comb' would kill for that kind of streak.

i'd take him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=nfldk2k10jaguars32q

Sims-Walker's problems are dual. First and foremost for me are his durability issues. A breakout star his senior year at UCF, he was taken by the Jags in the third round of '07 but reinjured a knee in a preseason game and missed his entire rookie season. In '08, he had two great games then suffered another knee sprain and was either out or ineffective the rest of the season. And then came the knee and calf issues last year. Even this preseason, MSW had to leave a game because of a banged-up shoulder, though that injury hasn't prevented him from playing since.

He's worth a look but he's had some disciplinary issues. He's been suspended for missing bed check. We should give him a look, but with Shanahan discarding Thomas for his lack of dedication and inability to stay healthy... doesn't seem like an ideal fit.

"The Jaguars told receiver Mike Sims-Walker they were moving on from him. Jaguars general manager Gene Smith informed Sims-Walker, who has been with the Jaguars since they drafted him in 2007. "

Given that quote and the fact he was already a FA, seems to indicate they just won't extend him an offer. He would not be a street guy until he's cut or the new CBA is done.

Given that quote and the fact he was already a FA, seems to indicate they just won't extend him an offer. He would not be a street guy until he's cut or the new CBA is done.

Either way.. why would the Jaguars want sign Jason Hill and keep Mike Smith instead of Walker if Walker was so great?

http://sports.espn.go.com/fantasy/football/ffl/story?page=nfldk2k10jaguars32q

Sims-Walker's problems are dual. First and foremost for me are his durability issues. A breakout star his senior year at UCF, he was taken by the Jags in the third round of '07 but reinjured a knee in a preseason game and missed his entire rookie season. In '08, he had two great games then suffered another knee sprain and was either out or ineffective the rest of the season. And then came the knee and calf issues last year. Even this preseason, MSW had to leave a game because of a banged-up shoulder, though that injury hasn't prevented him from playing since.

He's worth a look but he's had some disciplinary issues. He's been suspended for missing bed check. We should give him a look, but with Shanahan discarding Thomas for his lack of dedication and inability to stay healthy... doesn't seem like an ideal fit.

You'd probably be talking about someone to take the number 4 or 5 roster spot anyway (a young guy like him could push for 2 or 3). Age is good but we'd probably do better to leave that spot for a developmental guy especially if there are character questions.

---------- Post added March-3rd-2011 at 11:04 PM ----------

Either way.. why would the Jaguars want sign Jason Hill and keep Mike Smith instead of Walker if Walker was so great?

That wasn't my point, the point was that he was not released and therefore was not available to sign.

Sims walker is way better than all of our receivers including my boy Armstrong

Moss IMO will not be back.

Kelly prolly will get the boot when they find out he actually isn't any good

Austin and banks are special teams guys not great wr or even average wr yet but I will wait n see

Ride has a first round tender on him so that isn't going to happen

Both jones I would be ok with but not likely leaving IMO

As for Julio I would be ok with as well but rather go oline

The Skins don't have to go Oline with the #10 pick.

Archived