Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hopefully our new NT: Paul Soliai

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

this was just posted on rotoworld:

4365.jpg

The Dolphins reportedly have "zero" chance of re-signing NT Paul Soliai before the onset of free agency in March.

Soliai wants to cash in on his breakout second half, which makes it nearly impossible for an extension with the "30 percent" rule in effect. Soliai's camp is expecting a "free-for-all" once he hits the open market. As a run-plugging 350-pounder, he'll be in high demand among teams running 3-4 schemes.

this guy is huge, fits our #1 need on the defense, just turned 27, and shouldnt cost a fortune. he'll probably want a nice contract, but if were set on spending tons of money, it should be on guys like this. this way we can sign this guy, and if QB is not an option at 10, we take either the best DE or the best ILB and our defense is immediately upgraded overnight.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4365/paul-soliai

this was just posted on rotoworld:

4365.jpg

The Dolphins reportedly have "zero" chance of re-signing NT Paul Soliai before the onset of free agency in March.

Soliai wants to cash in on his breakout second half, which makes it nearly impossible for an extension with the "30 percent" rule in effect. Soliai's camp is expecting a "free-for-all" once he hits the open market. As a run-plugging 350-pounder, he'll be in high demand among teams running 3-4 schemes.

this guy is huge, fits our #1 need on the defense, just turned 27, and shouldnt cost a fortune. he'll probably want a nice contract, but if were set on spending tons of money, it should be on guys like this. this way we can sign this guy, and if QB is not an option at 10, we take either the best DE or the best ILB and our defense is immediately upgraded overnight.

I like it. Young. Large. Shiny.

My main criteria for a FA signing is - is this a guy you could still see playing effectively for the Skins in 4-5 years? The answer on a guy who will be 27 during most of next season is "yes."

I like it. Young. Large. Shiny.

My main criteria for a FA signing is - is this a guy you could still see playing effectively for the Skins in 4-5 years? The answer on a guy who will be 27 during most of next season is "yes."

i just really hope that guys like this are on our radar. if we sign this guy, the general public is gonna say "who the **** is that?", which is good.

and frankly i dont know what his "camp" is talking about. most of the 3-4 teams in the NFL at the moment currently have nose tackles that are very good. i think we might be the only team that has no answer at that position (and the dolphins after this guy walks).

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 12:51 PM ----------

This

and this

Are highly incongruous.

a free for all for a NT is not the same as it is for another position. fat dudes drafted on day 2 dont get the same contracts as probowlers and sexy positions on defense or offense. id be shocked if this dude got over a 35 mil contract, which is fine by me.

NTs generally play into their mid 30s.. he could be around for 8 years if healthy.. it starts from the NT position..

also could you post the link to the story..

ah thats my bad, sorry about that. ill update the OP.

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 12:55 PM ----------

I'd love it...he and Bryant could be a great rotation! Good thread BLC!

thats seriously what im hoping for. i really liked what i saw out of bryant last season and even tho i dont think hes 100% starter material, hes awesome depth and he and soliai could be a sick tandem.

this dude should be priority number 1.

ah thats my bad, sorry about that. ill update the OP.

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 12:55 PM ----------

thats seriously what im hoping for. i really liked what i saw out of bryant last season and even tho i dont think hes 100% starter material, hes awesome depth and he and soliai could be a sick tandem.

this dude should be priority number 1.

I think I agree with that. If we shore up our defense to the point where we can be a middle-of-the-road D, I think we'll take a huge step forward even if Grossman is playing QB for an entire season.

Imagine signing him and somehow drafting Von Miller....Wow that would be awesome. Or even getting Watt at the DE and having Carriker Watt and Soliai with Bryant, daniels and Jarmon as depth. Ahh i would love it! Defense wins championships! Although i still wouldnt be upset with Cam Newton...

You realize NT in a 3-4 is the most important position on the defense...? And you want to leave that to Bryant and a late round pick? No thanks...

To be fair Kenrick Ellis is not a late pick the guy could very well be the #2 NT taken behind Phil Taylor. I'd take him and Bryant though if we don't go the route of NT in FA

Imagine signing him and somehow drafting Von Miller....Wow that would be awesome. Or even getting Watt at the DE and having Carriker Watt and Soliai with Bryant, daniels and Jarmon as depth. Ahh i would love it! Defense wins championships! Although i still wouldnt be upset with Cam Newton...

I agree with you on JJ Watt or Von Miller....but not Newton...man I love defense smh. We NEED to sign Poliai and get one of these guys in the first round. I'm leaning towards JJ Watt....He's just disgusting and does not quit on the play.

This

and this

Are highly incongruous.

For perspective...

Vince Wilfork - 5 years, $40 million ($25 mil guaranteed)

BJ Raji - 5 years, $23 million ($17.7 mil guaranteed)

Casey Hampton - 3 years, $21 million ($11 mil guaranteed)

Kris Jenkins - 5 years, $30 million ($9.5 mil guaranteed)

Kelly Gregg - 5 years, $21 million ($3.5 mil guaranteed)

Those guys are essentially the game's best NTs who are currently under contract with Aubrayo Franklin, Paul Soliai, and Haloti Ngata being the notable players with expiring contracts. Soliai might not come cheap but I don't think he's likely to earn Wilfork or Raji money on the open market.

Archived