Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hopefully our new NT: Paul Soliai

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

im 100% ok with giving a 27 year old NT 30 mil. thats a TRUE need at a position of severe need for this defense. he automatically makes our defense much better.

if we get soliai and either a stud DE/ILB with that 10 pick i think thats a very nice start.

and for those of you talking about ARE/Archuleta/carter - ARE got the highest contract for a slot receiver EVER, archuleta got the highest safety contract EVER, and carter was so bad in SF at the 3-4 they let him walk. his contract was maybe the only do-able one, and we still overpaid. but arch and randle el were abominable contracts.

You need to stop living in the Madden age man. This is how a child would build a football team.

It's pretty freaking simple to see how to rebuild a team, its happening all around us. Rams, Bucs, Lions, Falcons, etc. Use the draft, don't rely on free agents. Look at the teams build for long term dominance - Steelers, Packers, Patriots, Colts, Eagles. The proof is in the pudding.

The Packers signed one (1!) big name free agent in six years - Charles Woodson, and only one other multi-year deal (Pickett). Now they have a team with only 3 starters over 30, poised to dominated for years.

So keep trying to mircowave success. It's working well.

you would be building for YEARS.. we have maybe 10 players worth building around.. it would take 3-4 maybe 5 drafts to do that.. by which then mike will more than likely be fired and then were back at it.. eventually you have to take a few chances..

again the bears and jets JUST did this and got pretty deep..im not saying strictly build through FA.. but to say we dont need to touch FA with the poor talent we have on this team right now is just down right stupid imo.. passing on Lamar Woodley for Dontay Moch.. makes no sense.. you have just as much chance at a draft pick failing as you do a FA at least the FA has shown he can play in the NFL.

You need to stop living in the Madden age man. This is how a child would build a football team.

Actually, signing free agents is an inefficient way to build a team even in Madden. :ols:

you would be building for YEARS.. we have maybe 10 players worth building around.. it would take 3-4 maybe 5 drafts to do that.. by which then mike will more than likely be fired and then were back at it.. eventually you have to take a few chances..

It's not about avoiding free agency, it's about avoiding big names in free agency. Big names cost more money but don't always live up to the hype and can leave you in a hell of a pickle if they under-perform. Lesser names don't cost quite as much, leaving you with more room for error if they don't pan out, and can be every bit as effective as bigger names in the right circumstances.

There is going to be a turn over of our roster, like few teams have ever seen I think.

We may cut/trade/let walk/ whatever Portis, Moss, Fat Al, Rogers, Sellers, Rocky, Dock, McNabb, Doughty, Buch, Rabach, Brown and others.

Should be a blast to watch. People want the team rebuilt, well, here it comes.

I can't really complain about any of those names going. Rocky and Dock have pretty much reached the end of the road in DC while Portis, Rabach, and Sellers are reaching the end of the road career-wise. Moss and Rogers will probably ask for more than they're worth. Fat Al and McNabb don't seem willing to conform to the scheme. Doughty and Buchanon are replaceable, although I don't know that you let them walk right now given the number of holes elsewhere. Brown... is tough but I'd have to assume that we're either going to re-sign him or make a play for Ryan Harris, I'd not be upset with either option.

Well, yes and no. First of all, we gave up at least two picks for Lloyd (and I thought one of the other three moves was also a trade).

I said nothing about Lloyd.

We took a #3 WR/gimmick-play guy and tried to make him a #2 WR. We took a head-case in Lloyd and tried to make him a #3.

Cue me showing you all the posts suggesting we sign James Jones or Jacoby Jones...

Now, it's possible that some of the guys mentioned aren't perfect fits either...but like I said in the post that you quoted, I'm going to assume that Allen and Shanahan will do a better job than Vinny, Snyder, and Gibbs when it comes to identifying needs and acquiring talent.

I agree. Shanahan and Allen will be better at executing a flawed strategy. The strategy is still flawed.

I also think that Allen has shown that he's cost-conscious here already. He restructured deals and made a pretty smart contract extension for McNabb. There's no reason to believe he was ONLY frugal because he worked in Tampa.

No disagreement here at this point. Though this gets immediate dismissed as soon as we do what we all know we are going to do and sign a handful of guys to seven figure contracts.

If no one will give us a third for Fat Albert, then you keep him, play him as a three-technique end in the nickel on a line with Carriker and Solai and see how many sacks he can get you. With the restructured deal he signed last year, Albert's cap number is very manageable this year and I don't think you need to panic and dump him for nothing.

This.

First priority would be dealing him for a draft pick. I'd take a 4th however... I don't think a 3rd rounder is happening. I wouldnt start albert by any means, but he could provide great depth as pass rushing, 3rd down DE in our defense if we are forced to keep him.

Soliai and a lineman should be our #1 priorities. Only if they come at a reasonable price of course.

Kalil or Joseph would be great, but getting both isnt as important as madden-minded members of ES tend to believe. Late round picks can be used on interior lineman that can battle it out with players already on our roster (Capers, Cook, Montgomery) for the starting job at whichever position we don't address in free agency.

I would love for our NT depth to be Soliai >Bryant>Late round pick (Neild, Fua, etc) to battle Kemo for the 3rd string spot.

you would be building for YEARS.. we have maybe 10 players worth building around.. it would take 3-4 maybe 5 drafts to do that.. by which then mike will more than likely be fired and then were back at it.. eventually you have to take a few chances.

If Thomas Dmitroff had your mindset, he wouldn't be a 2x NFL Executive of the Year and have taken a team from 3-13 to 14-2 in 3 years.

In case you were wondering, there are 8 starters remaining on the Falcons from the 2007 team...

huge fan of pickups like this. completely against the Julius peppers colt last year. hell it worked but for how much longer he is older and soon that aged defense will crumble.

FA can be useful if your not looking to bring superstars in for huge contracts but role players are different in my opinion. If you want to model the skins like the top teams in the league the steelers pats packers all made significant FA signings of role players. I know im with you ive been jaded from FA as well but guys like this are the answer.

I said nothing about Lloyd.

My bad...I can't see a couple of those names and not lump them all into the same category.

Cue me showing you all the posts suggesting we sign James Jones or Jacoby Jones...

I only saw Rice mentioned and agree that we should not target either of those guys as a #1 WR prospect.

I agree. Shanahan and Allen will be better at executing a flawed strategy. The strategy is still flawed.

I think it depends on what you spend and what else you do around it. If you leave no cap space or resources to add additional players, then it probably is flawed. If you add 3-4 of 10-12 new players this way, is it really a big deal?

No disagreement here at this point. Though this gets immediate dismissed as soon as we do what we all know we are going to do and sign a handful of guys to seven figure contracts.

Well, a very good number of FAs and draft picks in the NFL are going to make $1M, so I'd have to see how far into the 7 digits he goes before crying that it's business as usual.

If Thomas Dmitroff had your mindset, he wouldn't be a 2x NFL Executive of the Year and have taken a team from 3-13 to 14-2 in 3 years.

In case you were wondering, there are 8 starters remaining on the Falcons from the 2007 team...

and i raise you bears and jets..2 teams that used FA and trades..

Neither the Jets nor the Bears made it to the SB with that philosophy...and the Jets are about to fall apart due to their high number of FA's and low number of draft picks. They created a very small window of opportunity for themselves, and its already closing.

That isn't a sound strategy, in my eyes.

...Would be the continuation of an unsustainable method of team building, and proof that nothing has changed.

Here's the thing. No matter what, you still have to sign free agents. You only get 7 picks a year and most of the time we have less than that. Signing guys who "FIT" the scheme and are under 27 is where you want to go. Our problem in the past was signing guys who didn't fit the scheme and were over 27. Nothing wrong with free agency if you do it right. If me make quality choices with our draft picks AND pick up these young guys, it goes a long way to building the team. We can't plug all the holes with just draft choices. Remember, Vinny is not making the free agent decisions.

I think it depends on what you spend and what else you do around it. If you leave no cap space or resources to add additional players, then it probably is flawed. If you add 3-4 of 10-12 new players this way, is it really a big deal?

I have no problem adding 3-4 FAs.

I have a problem adding 3-4 FAs when they are the #1 NT FA, #1 WR FA, #1 G FA, #1 OLB FA etc.

Soliai on his own would be a great addition.

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 04:54 PM ----------

Would you rather be a Bears/Jets fan for the next 5+ years, or a Falcons fan?

It's pretty freaking simple to see how to rebuild a team, its happening all around us. Rams, Bucs, Lions, Falcons, etc. Use the draft, don't rely on free agents. Look at the teams build for long term dominance - Steelers, Packers, Patriots, Colts, Eagles. The proof is in the pudding.

The jets regime has only been around 2 seasons, and has made the NFC championship game both seasons. Obviously they have relied heavily on FA.

Also if you check over the Falcons there's a descent amount of FA's that play vital roles on the team, Turner, Gonzalez, Robinson, Clabo, Peterson, Mugheli, Dahl

The Packers signed one (1!) big name free agent in six years - Charles Woodson, and only one other multi-year deal (Pickett). Now they have a team with only 3 starters over 30, poised to dominated for years.

In large part because they have the best up and coming QB in the NFL.

So keep trying to mircowave success. It's working well.

Neither technique works in every instance, it's up to every particular regime to work with the opportunities afforded to them. It would be silly for this current Redskins regime, not to dip into one of the deepest FA pools in quite some time, especially with the amount of cap space they will most likely have with a few cuts.

We can probably safely dole out two fairly hefty contracts this offseason if need be. So long as we stick to that, I'd really only be especially worried about overpaying for a wide receiver.

Each of those players you listed could command a fairly large contract. With a salary cap likely to be back in place before the next season of football begins, that kind of spending binge can be a little risky and can make it more difficult to retain players and sign depth down the line.

I'll have to look it up, but in another thread someone said Allen is very good at not backloading deals so it hurts the cap in future years which is the way we used to operate.

I have no problem adding 3-4 FAs.

I have a problem adding 3-4 FAs when they are the #1 NT FA, #1 WR FA, #1 G FA, #1 OLB FA etc.

Soliai on his own would be a great addition.

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 04:54 PM ----------

Would you rather be a Bears/Jets fan for the next 5+ years, or a Falcons fan?

falcons made it farther... oh..

Here's the thing. No matter what, you still have to sign free agents. You only get 7 picks a year and most of the time we have less than that.

We can't plug all the holes with just draft choice.

I agree. I am a big proponent of fiscally responsible use of FA. And also, most teams who don't rely on FA get at least 8 picks a year, and usually are able to recoup even more by trading their replaceable talent away.

Why is it that we have to fill every hole in one year?

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 04:58 PM ----------

falcons made it farther... oh..

Now I understand your point of view. When you can only see season to season, it makes sense that you would want to construct a team this way.

Neither the Jets nor the Bears made it to the SB with that philosophy...and the Jets are about to fall apart due to their high number of FA's and low number of draft picks. They created a very small window of opportunity for themselves, and its already closing.

That isn't a sound strategy, in my eyes.

im not really saying go out and trade picks away.. basically all im saying is do a combo of both.. make smart signees coupled with great picks.. after all that is out the way then build depth threw the draft.. like a jump start.. bc if we wait.. mike will be gone enter new coach new scheme same square 1.

---------- Post added February-9th-2011 at 04:59 PM ----------

I agree. I am a big proponent of fiscally responsible use of FA. And also, most teams who don't rely on FA get at least 8 picks a year, and usually are able to recoup even more by trading their replaceable talent away.

Now I understand your point of view. When you can only see season to season, it makes sense that you would want to construct a team this way.

the jest went from trash to back to back AFCC in 2 years..

I sort of agree with you. I think it's important to stick to the draft, to build your future and to pepper in a few FAs along the way.

Unfortunately, we are once again changing everything. This time, it should stay the way it is for a long time to come.

We may have over $50 million to spend and a ton of holes. I trust Shanny Co to go about this in a respectable way and not sign the #1 FA to a record contract, but add a lot of second tier guys and establish the base we will build off, for years to come.

The jets regime has only been around 2 seasons, and has made the NFC championship game both seasons. Obviously they have relied heavily on FA.

They also drafted very well prior to Rex's arrival.

Also if you check over the Falcons there's a descent amount of FA's that play vital roles on the team, Turner, Gonzalez, Robinson, Clabo, Peterson, Mugheli, Dahl

Again, Turner 08, Gonzo 09, Robinson 10 - one big FA per year, like I have advocated.

Clabo was an UDFA who bounced around on four different practice squads before debuting with the Falcons in 06. Peterson signed a very conservative 2 year contract in 09. Dahl was another player signed off a practice squad. All these moves represent the exact things we need to be doing in free agency.

Neither technique works in every instance, it's up to every particular regime to work with the opportunities afforded to them. It would be silly for this current Redskins regime, not to dip into one of the deepest FA pools in quite some time, especially with the amount of cap space they will most likely have with a few cuts.

Dip not dive into this free agent pool. That's all I am asking.

I'll have to look it up, but in another thread someone said Allen is very good at not backloading deals so it hurts the cap in future years which is the way we used to operate.

I've heard that in the past and I'm inclined to trust Allen's judgment from a cap/fiscal standpoint. I would become a bit concerned if we were to load up on top tier FAs, though. Hindsight is the only way to know what strategy is best for any given year but more often than not shelling out a lot of money on a few players is a bad idea.

Dip not dive into this free agent pool. That's all I am asking.

We're on the exact same wave-length I just misunderstood you're previous post. I also think we really have to start considering why any top-notch FA would want to come here, if we're not paying more than the next guy.

Soliai got some starts last year after Jason Ferguson got hurt. Then he didn't win a starting job this year (Randy Starks began the season playing nose), until Odrick broke his leg and Starks moved back to end. He's big and strong, but I'm not sure he's an upgrade over Bryant.

Granted, Soliai was on the field more to show what he can do, but on a per-play basis Bryant was quite effective if you were watching him. If we don't think Bryant can make it through a season, Soliai makes more sense.

I also think we really have to start considering why any top-notch FA would want to come here, if we're not paying more than the next guy.

Proven players in their mid 20s know that this FA contact is probably the biggest one of their career, and something that they want to set them up financially for the rest of their lives.

Especially guys who were drafted in the mid rounds (like Soliai) who had pretty modest rookie deals.

Money will always be the number one factor for these type FAs. If you want them, you will need to pay for them.

Proven players in their mid 20s know that this FA contact is probably the biggest one of their career, and something that they want to set them up financially for the rest of their lives.

Especially guys who were drafted in the mid rounds (like Soliai) who had pretty modest rookie deals.

Money will always be the number one factor for these type FAs. If you want them, you will need to pay for them.

You can only pay them so much without overpaying them, as the Redskins have in the past, and we've seen where that leads. If we're only willing to pay what players are worth, how on Earth are we going to both find top-notch free agents that fit our scheme?

Archived