Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: NFC East Blog: Are Cowboys America's Team?

Riggo#44

When you look at the America's Games episodes you see how reviled Dallas is around the league

As someone said they were America's Team but mainly in the 90's, they were an afterthought in the 80's and won 2 championships in the 70's

Dallas was the main villain in the Ice Bowl, hated by the Steelers because Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson was talking junk before the game, Niners hated the Cowboys, and every NFC East fan hates Dallas

They are without a doubt the most despised franchise in all of professional football. How this team, hated by every NFL fan not from Dallas, managed to snare the moniker "America's Team", escapes me. America hates the Cowboys.

If something is considered "America's Team," doesn't that imply that the nation, as a whole, supports them? If anything, our national SOCCER team deserves the title more because of the way the country rallied around it during the 2010 World Cup.

The Cowboys maybe the most divisive team in the country, but to say that makes them America's Team doesn't speak well for the Cowboys or for this country.

When you look at the America's Games episodes you see how reviled Dallas is around the league

As someone said they were America's Team but mainly in the 90's, they were an afterthought in the 80's and won 2 championships in the 70's

Dallas was the main villain in the Ice Bowl, hated by the Steelers because Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson was talking junk before the game, Niners hated the Cowboys, and every NFC East fan hates Dallas

They are without a doubt the most despised franchise in all of professional football. How this team, hated by every NFL fan not from Dallas, managed to snare the moniker "America's Team", escapes me. America hates the Cowboys.

hahahaha. Thats where you actually wrong, with all that hate, and yes, so many do hate the Cowboys, it still does not equal the amount of "love" they get. More people love the Cowboys then hate them, and that is saying a lot.

I am against the whole idea of "America's Team" and hate it.......I despise the fact that so many of these people with GB flags or Stealers flags on their cars....... are X-Cowboy fans...those fair weather punk ***** fans drive me up a wall, but the truth is still told in numbers, and the numbers show, Dallas is BY FAR the biggest Team in Football, and that says a lot too considering that have sucked for so long now!

I love being called a fair weather fan, or a front runner, because i like Dallas, makes me laugh in peoples faces, because the Cowboys haven't won crap in a billion years.......

hahahaha. Thats where you actually wrong, with all that hate, and yes, so many do hate the Cowboys, it still does not equal the amount of "love" they get. More people love the Cowboys then hate them, and that is saying a lot.

I am against the whole idea of "America's Team" and hate it.......I despise the fact that so many of these people with GB flags or Stealers flags on their cars....... are X-Cowboy fans...those fair weather punk ***** fans drive me up a wall, but the truth is still told in numbers, and the numbers show, Dallas is BY FAR the biggest Team in Football, and that says a lot too considering that have sucked for so long now!

I love being called a fair weather fan, or a front runner, because i like Dallas, makes me laugh in peoples faces, because the Cowboys haven't won crap in a billion years.......

I honestly doubt there are as many cowboys fans as Steeler fans. And it wouldn't surprise me if there are more Packer fans as well. The Steelers routinely have 10,000+ of their fans at away games. I remember a Tampa Bucs game that was essentially a home game for them. Dallas is not by far the biggest team in football, not sure what you have to back that up with.

I honestly doubt there are as many cowboys fans as Steeler fans. And it wouldn't surprise me if there are more Packer fans as well. The Steelers routinely have 10,000+ of their fans at away games. I remember a Tampa Bucs game that was essentially a home game for them. Dallas is not by far the biggest team in football, not sure what you have to back that up with.

sales of memorabilia and etc......

I will have to look it all up and post facts to back it up, but no way the Stealers and Packers have as big of a fan base as the Cowboys......not even right now, with all the bandwagon jumpers on one side........Right now you have the Stealers, as popular as they have ever been EVER......playing in another SB...and the Cowboys, sucking for another year, and had the most disappointing 6-10 season EVER......Which as we all know have those fake fans jumped surely the heck off of the wagon and onto the black n Gold train, yet right this second, there is no doubt in my mind, that the Cowboys still have more "fans" then the Stealers. its just a stupid fact of life, that many of you cant come to grips with and/or bare to see it. As much as they are hated, they are even more loved!

I for one could care less.......and like i said, the ones that still hang around after a billion years of sucking.....are the real fans, the rest of those "fake" fans can keep their Stealers stuff on forever...Good bye to you all and never come back!

:rotflmao:

Jealous of what exactly? We're amused at the annual praise that pathetic franchise receives year after year for the last 14 years, while our franchise even has more playoff wins during that span of time.

It's hard to be jealous of that dismal failure of a team.

So, keep thinking your franchise is 'hot stuff', because the reality is that they basically suck...from top to bottom.

:rotflmao:

Take your pick, getting more media coverage, being in a super bowl every year..whining over players, coaches ect..

you spend more time being obsessed over Dallas, than you do your own team

getting more media coverage,

Where outside of Dallas, or Dallas contributors to ESPN, are the Cowboys mentioned?

being in a super bowl every year..

Yeah, all those Super Bowls that they're in year after year...how long has it been now? 15 years since you got past the divisional round?

sales of memorabilia and etc......

I will have to look it all up and post facts to back it up, but no way the Stealers and Packers have as big of a fan base as the Cowboys......not even right now, with all the bandwagon jumpers on one side........Right now you have the Stealers, as popular as they have ever been EVER......playing in another SB...and the Cowboys, sucking for another year, and had the most disappointing 6-10 season EVER......!

Here is what I could find in about 10 minutes of quick searching:

NFL merchandise sales

2001 - 1. Raiders

2002 - 1. Raiders 2. Bucs 3. Cowboys 4. Packers 5. Steelers 6. Eagles

2003 - 1. Raiders 2. Patriots 3. Packers 4. Cowboys 5. Eagles 6. Steelers

2004 - 1. Eagles 2. Patriots 3. Steelers 4. Raiders 5. Packers 6. Cowboys

2005 - 1. Steelers 2. Eagles

2006 - 1. Steelers 2. Eagles

2007 - Couldn't find this one, I would assume cowboys, patriots, steelers or eagles

2008 - 1. Cowboys 2. Giants. 3. Steelers 4. Jets 5. Bears 6. Patriots

2009 - 1. Saints 2. Steelers 3. Cowboys 4. Vikings 5. Colts 6. Giants

2010 - 1. Steelers 2. Cowboys 3. Saints 4. Eagles 5. Patriots 6. Bears

You were right about the Packers. I would say you were wrong about the Steelers though. There is a reason plenty of people say no team travels like the Steelers. They have lots of fans, everywhere.

http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2008/01/cowboys_top_the_charts.html

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2003/07/Issue-208/Sponsorships-Advertising-Marketing/Raiders-Bucs-Top-List-Of-NFL-Team-Merchandise-Sellers.aspx

http://blackandgold.com/saints/26022-new-orleans-saints-lead-nfl-merchandise-sales-first-time-ever.html

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/01/pittsburgh-steelers-led-nfl-in-merchandise-sales-in-2010/1

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_456970.html

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2004/07/Issue-208/Sponsorships-Advertising-Marketing/Raiders-Top-NFL-Merchandise-Sales-For-Third-Straight-Year.aspx

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2010/04/Issue-148/Sponsorships-Advertising-Marketing/Saints-Top-Nflshopcom-Merchandise-Sales-During-League-Year.aspx

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Top_5_NFL_team_merchandise_sales_2008

So let me see if I understand the claim.

America's Team = Team with most fans who couldn't find their stadium on a map

America's Team = Lemming Fans

America's Team = Sheep Fans

America's Team = Marketer's Dream Fans

America's Team = Can't Think For Myself Fans

Is that the general ball park idea we are talking about?

Where outside of Dallas, or Dallas contributors to ESPN, are the Cowboys mentioned?

Your fans just complained about Peter King crowning them again next year

Yeah, all those Super Bowls that they're in year after year...how long has it been now? 15 years since you got past the divisional round?

In it or not once again still talked about

Never
Dude! You had said just a post before:

your right it does write it's self because your falling back on the off field antics to hide

behind, when in truth it boils down to the attention they get, regardless of it being good

or bad they still get it.

So by your own standard, the Jets were "America's Team" this year. And you didn't realize that either! :ols:

Oh, and way to try to hide by trying to ignore your coke-head WR's antics. LOL.

football is a business all ways has been all ways will be
Like I said, CLASS. Another thing you don't understand. Gotta say that your represent your team nowadays pretty well!!!
Or it was Dallas fans showing their true ignorance, for a man who was left to be the Villain because Bum Bright and Schram were cowards to fire Landry

when it was clear, his system no longer worked and Landry was unwilling to change with the times.

That's not why they booed. You're clueless again! No more hints for you. :ols:
There was no hype when I became a fan try again
No need. You're embarrassed about why you're a Dallass fan. You keep contradicting yourself on why you're a fan. And why you think Dallass is "America's Team". I really don't think you even know. But please, go on! Put your foot back in your mouth again!
Could it be that those who are in the media and just fans of the NFL don't care about that small little tidbit of nothing in decade? they still talk about

them, they still get the attention and you are part of that attention

Oh, I'm just enjoying seeing you as a posterboy for Dallass fans. Eagles fans are just stupid and wanna-be somebodies. There are some decent Dallass fans out there, but you don't even know what "wanna-be" you're acting like. This is great! :pfft:

On another note, you've provided an overall refutation to your own argument. You've gotten a lot of attention here yourself. How do you think you are viewed here? And if you act like this is real life? Be honest. ;) What does that say about you, and the attention your team gets?

Dude! You had said just a post before:

So by your own standard, the Jets were "America's Team" this year. And you didn't realize that either! :ols:

Wrong as usual keep spinning one day you will get it right

Oh, and way to try to hide by trying to ignore your coke-head WR's antics. LOL.

Try way to go on trying and make your self better than he is

Like I said, CLASS. Another thing you don't understand. Gotta say that your represent your team nowadays pretty well!!!

All organizations do things that do not show class..which in turn pisses off fans

That's not why they booed. You're clueless again! No more hints for you. :ols:

Of course it is why they booed Jerruh

No need. You're embarrassed about why you're a Dallass fan. You keep contradicting yourself on why you're a fan. And why you think Dallass is "America's Team". I really don't think you even know. But please, go on! Put your foot back in your mouth again!

Not embarrassed at all actually and it is you and others who contradict your selves

simply because the mere thought of them being America's Team, makes you nauseous

with jealousy

Oh, I'm just enjoying seeing you as a posterboy for Dallass fans. Eagles fans are just stupid and wanna-be somebodies. There are some decent Dallass fans out there, but you don't even know what "wanna-be" you're acting like. This is great! :pfft:

but since you stereo type all Dallas fans as the same I doubt you have the slightest inkling of

a clue just what a decent fan looks or even sounds like

On another note, you've provided an overall refutation to your own argument. You've gotten a lot of attention here yourself. How do you think you are viewed here? And if you act like this is real life? Be honest. ;) What does that say about you, and the attention your team gets?

Do I really need to care about how I am viewed??

You have to define what America's team means first.

Representative of the nation? Then you can make an argument for the Redskins as they play in the capital and have diverse fan base.

Winningest team? Goes to the Steelers.

A bad-ass team that sets the tone for the others, but has its own misdeeds? The Patriots

Other than having bandwagon fans I don't see how the Cowboys qualify as America's team.

I suspect you don't. I'm even more certain you don't realize the irony in the attention your team gets, and the attention you're getting here.

The rest of your post is comedy gold. Thanks for posting!

The only comedy is the amount of spinning you do to try and convince your

selves they aren't America's Team, then fail

The only comedy is the amount of spinning you do to try and convince your

selves they aren't America's Team, then fail

Ah, the gift that keeps on giving!

Mods, can you make Texasaurus' user title: "Average Cowboys Fan" ?

I think he'd be honored! It's not like it would be an insult to *him*. As long as the other Puke fans here don't mind..... :evilg:

Ah, the gift that keeps on giving!

Mods, can you make Texasaurus' user title: "Average Cowboys Fan" ?

I think he'd be honored! It's not like it would be an insult to *him*. As long as the other Puke fans here don't mind..... :evilg:

The more you spin the more you fail

The more you spin the more you fail

you have now sunk to the messgae board level of "i know you are but what am i". you tried the same thing with me, i proved you wrong, you didnt respond. so now you continue the same BS with others, now, before you go back and reread my thrashing of your foolishness and struggle to finally write a response, save yourself the trouble. all you need do is allow your argument to evolve so it actually supports your original idea or better yet move on to other threads and topics. keep up the same reposting instead of engaging in real debate and you may find yourself on hiatus.

you have now sunk to the messgae board level of "i know you are but what am i". you tried the same thing with me, i proved you wrong, you didnt respond. so now you continue the same BS with others, now, before you go back and reread my thrashing of your foolishness and struggle to finally write a response, save yourself the trouble. all you need do is allow your argument to evolve so it actually supports your original idea or better yet move on to other threads and topics. keep up the same reposting instead of engaging in real debate and you may find yourself on hiatus.
I'm in favor of keeping him here. "Tex" here hasn't descended to the same level as some recent Eagles posters, but he sets a great example, you know?

The whole America's team idea is kinda stupid. This isn't soccer, every team is an American team but I definitely don't need people telling me that the Steelers or Patriots are America's team because they win every year and I just LOL at the idea of the Cowboys being America's team considering they've won 1 more playoff game over the past 15 years than the Detroit Lions have, who have won 0 by the way.

I'm in favor of keeping him here. "Tex" here hasn't descended to the same level as some recent Eagles posters, but he sets a great example, you know?

agreed, our little junior achiever here isnt as rude as others. just annoying with his childish and repetitive nonsensical blathering. his mantra of "spin/fail/jealousy" makes me laugh because when i see it all i register is "wash/rinse/repeat"

anyway, im calling the day early to get on with hockey/superbowl weekend. so have fun and try not to hurt his feelings too bad. i wouldnt want tex to break his moms computer and not be able to join us further.

as far as I'm concerned this is much ado about nothing. "America's Team" was a nickname given to the Cowboys by NFL films in the late 70's. It was simply a reflection of their popularity at the time. Were they America's team in the 70's? Yes. Were they in the 90's? Yes. Aside from that, no, they were not. They have evolved from "Next years' champions" in the 60s, to America's team in the 70's, to an afterthought in the 80s. I find it humorous that half this board in decrying the moniker as something that belongs to Dallas, and the other half vigorously is defending them as America's Team. A good topic of discussion, I guess. Then again, I'm Canadian, so the nickname is not close to my heart....

Archived