Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Unemployed? I am

boston skins fan

So ive been unemployed for whats 10 months today. I have looked everywhere and all companies in my field and have found nothing. I am thinking my next move might have to be switching careers. This is something i am fighting as much as possible since i spent alot of time and money on my eduacation. I am turning to you my redskin brothers and sisters for advice.

And if you are or have been unemployed for a long period of time please post because im starting to go nuts now and dont know how much longer i can do nothing.

Edited: I am a Civil Engineer that specialized in Airport Design and Construction for 4 years. I ran 2 construction projects alone at 25 and 26.

Thanks all

ya i ended up going to portugal for 2 months after that. but still cant wait to get back to work.

---------- Post added January-30th-2011 at 11:44 PM ----------

Currently near NYC but am willing to move

Yeah and what is your skill set? What do you do/and or go to college for?

So ive been unemployed for whats 10 months today. I have looked everywhere and all companies in my field and have found nothing. I am thinking my next move might have to be switching careers. This is something i am fighting as much as possible since i spent alot of time and money on my eduacation. I am turning to you my redskin brothers and sisters for advice.

And if you are or have been unemployed for a long period of time please post because im starting to go nuts now and dont know how much longer i can do nothing.

Edited: I am a Civil Engineer that specialized in Airport Design and Construction for 4 years. I ran 2 construction projects alone at 25 and 26.

Thanks all

First move to DC. Unemployment rate in DC is half the national average; and for people with degrees unemployment is under 4% in the DC region.

In economic good times the DC economy is good; In economic bad times the DC economy is even better. Traditionally

BSF,

If you ran 2 projects on your own at a young age you might consider project management jobs. I'm in biotech and there are almost always PM jobs. I'm also a certified PMP (Project Management Professional) and got a PM graduate certificate from BU by taking 4 grad courses there, and it's not a bad field. My job is not as a PM, but I use the skills all the time.

Anyway, you'd likely have to start on the ground floor as an associate PM (or something like that), but it might be worth a look. PM job skills are easily transferable across sectors, so that's a plus if you were to get into that field.

Check http://www.massbio.org/careers for a good biotech job search. Just click the Job Search button on the left then select Project Management as a category.

Today it lists 40 job postings. I also checked Engineering, and there were 44 job postings, but most will be for mechanical or electrical.

Good luck!!!

yeah I am in the same boat as you.

I am a chemist, and tried switching to sales. Unfortunately, the company I was working for did the cardinal sin of over-promise and under-deliver on the training they were going to give me to help with the transition from lab to sales.

I am going nuts. I am a workaholic who can't find work...I send out resumes on a daily basis, and make follow-up calls....unfortunately thanks to online application, no human resource person wants to see you or talk to you unless they just happen to pull up your resume.

I am a chemist, and tried switching to sales. Unfortunately, the company I was working for did the cardinal sin of over-promise and under-deliver on the training they were going to give me to help with the transition from lab to sales.

I am going nuts. I am a workaholic who can't find work...I send out resumes on a daily basis, and make follow-up calls....unfortunately thanks to online application, no human resource person wants to see you or talk to you unless they just happen to pull up your resume.

Dude.... repeat after me... certifications are your friend. First get yourself a PMP certification. you can take a boot camp and a week of study and get yourself one of those. That's hotter than a masters degree today. Then you can get yourself ITIL foundations as a pretty much cake walk. With those two certifications you will get snapped up by the consuling agencies which cater to the DC government. That'll do you.

Dude.... repeat after me... certifications are your friend. First get yourself a PMP certification. you can take a boot camp and a week of study and get yourself one of those. That's hotter than a masters degree today. Then you can get yourself ITIL foundations as a pretty much cake walk. With those two certifications you will get snapped up by the consuling agencies which cater to the DC government. That'll do you.

yeah major problem is me moving due to family...although I have been starting to open up my search.

as for certifications....I should have mentioned I was a director and a QA Officer of a lab...problem was it was an environmental lab. So my certs are (or were) fairly extensive within regulatory agencies (DOH, EPA).

I will look into the ones you suggested also.

yeah major problem is me moving due to family...although I have been starting to open up my search.

as for certifications....I should have mentioned I was a director and a QA Officer of a lab...problem was it was an environmental lab. So my certs are (or were) fairly extensive within regulatory agencies (DOH, EPA).

If you can't find work in your field.... I'm suggesting what others here have suggested. Dip into project management with a PMP certification. It's low overhead and high return. A chemist or a civil engineer will have little trouble with the faux science involved in Project management. It's a very versitle certificate to have, especially in the DC area where the FEDERAL government has fallen in love with PMP and ITIL.

First get yourself a PMP certification. .

Are you a PMP too?

I'm in QA, and the PMP goes hand in hand with QA. It does seem to be the new MBA these days. Now, if only you weren't tied to the Smallbany area...

Boston has tons of work for someone with your background.

Sorry - you must be sick of everyone telling you to move. Pack your things and hightail it to where the jobs are!!! :)

I'm in QA, and the PMP goes hand in hand with QA. It does seem to be the new MBA these days. Now, if only you weren't tied to the Smallbany area...

Boston has tons of work for someone with your background.

Sorry - you must be sick of everyone telling you to move. Pack your things and hightail it to where the jobs are!!! :)

lol yeah I hear it alot...unfortunately my daughter already lives 4 hours away from me, moving out of state would most likely make visitation even harder then it already is.

every chemist job around here I hear the same thing "you were management, this is entry, you'll get bored and leave, wasting our time training you..."

lol yeah I hear it alot...unfortunately my daughter already lives 4 hours away from me, moving out of state would most likely make visitation even harder then it already is.

I'm assuming she lives fours hours west or south, right? Otherwise moving this way would be a plus.

If she lives 4 hours north of you, well, <chattering teeth sounds> sorry. (I can disparage the North Country as I spent jr. high and HS years there freezing to death.)

I'm in the same boat as you. After months and months of applying to all the career websites and craigslist, I started looking on google maps for businesses around where I live and sent resumes to them. Been getting much more responses that way.

I'm assuming she lives fours hours west or south, right? Otherwise moving this way would be a plus.

If she lives 4 hours north of you, well, <chattering teeth sounds> sorry. (I can disparage the North Country as I spent jr. high and HS years there freezing to death.)

4 hours north. She is actually a stones throw away from Canada.

Thanks all

Unless you hate what you do, why change careers? Maybe supplement it by learning a new language if you're willing to work overseas. :2cents:

Are you familiar with the premise of AMC's Breaking Bad? Pull a Walter White dude!

Obviously j/k :)

Archived