Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

YAHOO: Cutler's NFL Contemporaries Go After Him on Twitter

SkinsGuy

Call me crazy since I have the papers to prove it & they're hanging on the wall. :)

Getting a CBA & then getting Cutler before the Draft would allow us to take a LB at #10.

Great, that would usher in another 2-3 years of venom spewing QB debate on this board.

I would honestly rather have McNabb, hell even Grossman than having to not only have Cutler as our QB, but make a trade and give something up for him.

I love how now this is being spun that the "main issue" is that he wasn't helping the third-stringer read the photos between series. I agree he should have been doing that, don't get me wrong, but that was NOT the main knock on Cutler yesterday and this morning.

The main knock on him was how he could let some pain allow him to remove himself from the game.

No, that was NOT it (at least not on this board)...It was that he quit on the team mentally and emotionally...and that it was that quitting that made him exaggerate his injury to have an excuse to not play anymore. But that quitting was based on more than just the injury itself, and that was mentioned a ****load of times yesterday. Don't fool yourself by thinking otherwise.

The fact that the injury was more serious than some thought doesn't negate or erase the other aspects that led people to thinking of Cutler as a quitter.

Rivers ACL sprain was probably a Grade 1 strain and not a complete rupture of the ligament. If the ACL tear isn't serious, you can still plant your feet with it. It was a dumb decision to keep him in the game, but that's just what I would expect from Norv Turner.

In most case, MCL tears are usually more devastating than ACL tears.

Assuming Cutler had a Grade 2 or Grade 3 MCL tear, there is no way he can plant his feet and perform adequately. By playing him, they could have potentially threatened his career, or his probability to play next year. Since he can't even plant his feet, what is the point of playing him anyways?

Bears fans are total morons if they will hold this against him. Reverse the roles, imagine this was our franchise QB. There is no way I would want him to play a game, despite the magnitude if it means the longevity of his career is in danger.

I love how now this is being spun that the "main issue" is that he wasn't helping the third-stringer read the photos between series. I agree he should have been doing that, don't get me wrong, but that was NOT the main knock on Cutler yesterday and this morning. .

thank you. you can question his leadership skills all day long, thats fine, but to call a guy out for missing the second half with a torn MCL that he visibly couldnt stand on is bunk.

Cutlet, aka Quitler (ok, again, I know he didn't quit, but that names make me lol at myself... so I use it anyways) quit on his teammates by not helping (aka mentally quit), but I do not believe he quit physically. I think you may be undervaluing the leadership role slightly, though.

I may be...I'm not sure. I just think one act is excusable considering you're a QB playing in the biggest game of your career and you just suffered a relatively serious injury that knocked you out of that game. It might not dawn on you to immediately jump in on the QB huddle, though I'll concede that would be the ideal thing to do. In that regard, yes, I'd have liked to see more leadership out of him. Though, in all honesty, who here believes that preparation and defense reading is what Cutler brings to the table? I'd much rather let my coaches deal with the backup in this situation. Still though, I'd want him to want to be involved.

However, my whole point is that taking yourself out of a game when you could play at the same level is a more egregious offense...and that is what the majority of people were skewering him for yesterday and into this morning. Only now that it's proven that he was removed due to a bad injury are people really focusing on the leadership aspect.

---------- Post added January-24th-2011 at 02:27 PM ----------

No, that was NOT it (at least not on this board)...It was that he quit on the team mentally and emotionally...and that it was that quitting that made him exaggerate his injury to have an excuse to not play anymore. But that quitting was based on more than just the injury itself, and that was mentioned a ****load of times yesterday. Don't fool yourself by thinking otherwise.

The fact that the injury was more serious than some thought doesn't negate or erase the other aspects that led people to thinking of Cutler as a quitter.

Look in this thread. I only looked at the first 10 posts in this thread and posts 2, 3, 4, 6, and 9 all questioned Cutler not forcing his way back onto the field. The other posts defended him. No one even mentioned the tutoring aspect that is now the major offense.

Though, in all honesty, who here believes that preparation and defense reading is what Cutler brings to the table? I'd much rather let my coaches deal with the backup in this situation. Still though, I'd want him to want to be involved.

I certainly don't. I don't think much of Quitler as a QB (Again, I'm sorry... I just like the name a lot :ols:)... But more eyes looking at something lead to better solutions. A starting QB in the NFL should have been there for his back up. I think this speaks volumes about his character, personally.

However, my whole point is that taking yourself out of a game when you could play at the same level is a more egregious offense...and that is what the majority of people were skewering him for yesterday and into this morning. Only now that it's proven that he was removed due to a bad injury are people really focusing on the leadership aspect.

Worse I'll give you, as physically quitting is a combination of the two, but he didn't have to go to the locker room... he was on the sidelines... You can't be on the field so help your team in whatever way you can... A leader does that. I like my QBs to be a leader... Another reason why I think very little of him as a QB.

KDawg, I agree. I don't think he's a leader at all.

All I'm saying is that the "why" for bashing Cutler has evolved from "he's a ***** and just pulled himself out of the biggest game of his life" to "he's not a great leader". We already knew the latter!

I still think it's fascinating that so many players and ex-players went after him publicly. Can you think of another QB that would take that kind of heat?

Look in this thread. I only looked at the first 10 posts in this thread and posts 2, 3, 4, 6, and 9 all questioned Cutler not forcing his way back onto the field. The other posts defended him. No one even mentioned the tutoring aspect that is now the major offense.

You need to read them again:

#2:

It's debatable. Cutler said he injured his knee, but he didn't have any trainers looking at him, was walking around, didn't go back to the locker room, etc.

Urlacher and Kreutz both said he injured his knee, but I have an odd feeling they're just taking the company line to avoid any further controversies.

#3:

To me it didn't really look like he wanted to be there. To be fair, he rarely does, but I seem remember Hanie going through the playbook and defensive formations trying to figure things out, and Cutler was next to him just kind of staring into space with headphones on. I want to say he's injured, but my gut's telling me he was upset with getting behind and he quit.

#4:

Most guys would have had to have been dragged off the field. He did appear to quit.

#6:

I think people are upset because it looked like he didn't even try to get back in. It's one thing to be hurt, hey if you're hurt you're hurt, but at least try to get back in the game and show you give a damn. He looked like he was perfectly fine sitting on the bench and watching backups play for him in the biggest game of his life.

#12:

Frankly, I think he may have had an injury, but he had the look of a guy who got benched for dreadful play. He had that pouting, not with the team, attitude of someone who got pulled. The team may have said it was an injury to let him keep face.

Post #2 said it was debatable...the others I posted all talked about his demeanor and actions on the sidelines giving them the impression that he had quit mentally and emotionally on the team, regardless of the level of injury. Some even acknowledged that he may very well have been genuinely hurt.

You need to read them again:

#2:

#3:

#4:

#6:

#12:

Post #2 said it was debatable...the others I posted all talked about his demeanor and actions on the sidelines giving them the impression that he had quit mentally and emotionally on the team, regardless of the level of injury. Some even acknowledged that he may very well have been genuinely hurt.

You got me on #3...that one definitely mentioned the playbook issue. Other than that though, the main point in all of those posts was that he didn't want to try to get back out there. The twitter comments from around the league and the reaction on this board was very much skewed towards him not staying in the game. Highlighting 2-5 words in each post that could mean anything ("it's debatable" and "he did appear to quit") while the rest of those posts question if he was too hurt to play doesn't really prove your point.

You got me on #3...that one definitely mentioned the playbook issue. Other than that though, the main point in all of those posts was that he didn't want to try to get back out there. The twitter comments from around the league and the reaction on this board was very much skewed towards him not staying in the game. Highlighting 2-5 words in each post that could mean anything ("it's debatable" and "he did appear to quit") while the rest of those posts question if he was too hurt to play doesn't really prove your point.

"2-5 words" lol...I highlighted the areas I highlighted to show that your comment that people on this thread only concentrated on whether Cutler tried to go back into the game was false, as well as to underscore that the issues we're talking about now were being discussed all along: whether or not his actions spoke of him being a "quitter". The level of his injury was not the sole discussion point as you wanted to make it out, and none of us are "spinning" the main issue to now be about his apparent attitude and behavior on the sideline...we were always talking about that.

And you might wanna break out some new batteries for your calculator, because I highlighted far more than "2-5 words" in most of those posts ;)...

I also find it hysterical that two of his biggest critics yesterday (among NFL players, I mean) were Seahawk defenders. They might want to know when to shut up considering he scored 4 TDs against them a week ago.

Califan, between the twitter posts and many of the comments in the numerous threads on this message board, the MAIN (not only) criticism of Jay Cutler was that he didn't fight through the pain and go back into the game and that he was OK allowing his backups decide his team's fate...thus quitting on his team. I don't believe, other than post #3, that people were talking about his lack of moral support for the third-stringer. You might interpret the highlighted text that way...I did not.

I also find it hysterical that two of his biggest critics yesterday (among NFL players, I mean) were Seahawk defenders. They might want to know when to shut up considering he scored 4 TDs against them a week ago.

Califan, between the twitter posts and many of the comments in the numerous threads on this message board, the MAIN (not only) criticism of Jay Cutler was that he didn't fight through the pain and go back into the game and that he was OK allowing his backups decide his team's fate...thus quitting on his team. I don't believe, other than post #3, that people were talking about his lack of moral support for the third-stringer. You might interpret the highlighted text that way...I did not.

You said the following:

"people are clinging to how he should have been more involved on the sideline. "

It seems more like you are clinging to the idea that the ONLY behavior anyone had a problem with concerning Cutler was whether or not he lacked of "moral support for the third-stringer." And how condescending is that, you word it as if Cutler showing "moral support" for the 3rd string QB should be beneath him or something. What difference does it make if Henie was 3rd string or not at that point? He was the guy who was going in to do Cutler's job and help the team win...the depth chart is one million percent irrelevant to Cutler in this case, yet you word it as if you feel it should have played a part in whether or not Cutler's support should be needed.

The bottom line is this: overwhelmingly most who criticized Cutler as a "quitter" did so because of ALL his actions, or lack of actions I should say...they criticized him yesterday because he didn't seem to care whether or not he was in there. And they based that perception yesterday on far more than you're willing to acknowledge. You'd prefer to categorize it as "spin" and laugh it off, like it's little more than backpeddling. You're wrong. The posts I quoted and the parts I highlighted show as much.

You said the following:

"people are clinging to how he should have been more involved on the sideline. "

It seems more like you are clinging to the idea that the ONLY behavior anyone had a problem with concerning Cutler was whether or not he lacked of "moral support for the third-stringer." And how condescending is that, you word it as if Cutler showing "moral support" for the 3rd string QB should be beneath him or something. What difference does it make if Henie was 3rd string or not at that point? He was the guy who was going in to do Cutler's job and help the team win...the depth chart is one million percent irrelevant to Cutler in this case, yet you word it as if you feel it should have played a part in whether or not Cutler's support should be needed.

The bottom line is this: overwhelmingly most who criticized Cutler as a "quitter" did so because of ALL his actions, or lack of actions I should say...they criticized him yesterday because he didn't seem to care whether or not he was in there. And they based that perception yesterday on far more than you're willing to acknowledge. You'd prefer to categorize it as "spin" and laugh it off, like it's little more than backpeddling. You're wrong. The posts I quoted and the parts I highlighted show as much.

Two things...

1) I have never defended his lack of involvement on the sideline or said that Cutler is a leader. I agree that he should have been more involved. I used the term "third-stringer" because I don't remember the kid's name, not because a starter shouldn't be bothered with helping him out.

2) I don't believe the posts that I identified and you colored in show anything close to what you believe they do (outside of #3 which mentions the lack of participation). The main point in most of the posts on the first page of this thread was that Cutler shouldn't take himself out of an important game so easily and that he should have to be dragged off the field with the stakes being what they were.

That's it. Broken leg, torn MCL, concussion, whatever...I admit (and have all along, for that matter) that Cutler should have been a better teammate. I just have also maintained that those challenging his toughness or ability to play through pain would feel silly when his diagnosis came out this morning (and they should...honestly, who challenges another person's pain threshold without knowing the injury he suffered?). On top of that, he was benched...he didn't pull himself out.

I would still argue (the same way I did last night) other players would be forced to be taken out, and they would be fighting the HC to get back out there.

My memory is sketchy at best, but wasnt it a Steelers lineman who was in the locker room puking last week, on IV's, and whn his back up got hurt he tried to get back into the game. It took the head coach to force him back to the locker room to keep him out of the game.

I like that fire, and even though he may have been "being stupid" or "unrealistic" I really like that fire.

All that said, I still hate that he was so disinterested in the game after he was done. You have a chance to play in the SB.....who cares how you got there.

I would still argue (the same way I did last night) other players would be forced to be taken out, and they would be fighting the HC to get back out there.

My memory is sketchy at best, but wasnt it a Steelers lineman who was in the locker room puking last week, on IV's, and whn his back up got hurt he tried to get back into the game. It took the head coach to force him back to the locker room to keep him out of the game.

I like that fire, and even though he may have been "being stupid" or "unrealistic" I really like that fire.

Agreed. Though in fairness, we have no idea what he said to the coaches at half time to stay in the game (since he did play two series after being hurt) or what he said to them to try to stay in after he was pulled. Also, would you prefer he have "fire" that results in him showing up the coach in that situation? Some call it "fire" while others might call it "being a bad teammate" because he's trying to stay in the game when he's clearly hurt. It goes both ways and some people who don't like him would find a reason to criticize him.

All that said, I still hate that he was so disinterested in the game after he was done. You have a chance to play in the SB.....who cares how you got there.

I agree.

Brett Favre would have never come out of the game, even if he would be responsible for his team losing the game.

Also, people who claim to know exactly what is going on in Cutler's mind don't know.

I appreciate that his coach and teammates have come to his defense.

P.S. Nobody seems to have questioned why Collins came out.

I wouldn't even consider trading for Cutler and having to see his sniveling ass on the sidelines pouting after getting sacked and things not going 100% his way. He's as bad as Jeff George, his own teammates can't stand him. Remember George getting sacked and the whole team just left him lying there?

Archived