Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: North Texas mirrors nation in number of parents who drive children to school, even if they live close by

China

North Texas mirrors nation in number of parents who drive children to school, even if they live close by

Gretchen Crichton drives to DeGolyer Elementary in northwest Dallas because — like many Texas parents — she doesn’t want her kindergartner and second-grader walking across busy streets.

“The school is fairly close to us, but they’d have to cross a major street, which is my main concern,” she said. “[And] it’s faster to drive them to school and get them there on time. We’re just a little more rushed these days.”

In recent years, fewer children have been walking to school regularly, and local children are no exception as North Texas isn’t known for being pedestrian-friendly.

Though half of U.S. school-age children live within two miles of their schools, three-quarters of the households questioned in the 2009 National Household Travel Survey take their children to school in a private vehicle — a huge increase from the 15 percent that were driven in 1969.

Click on the link for the full article

I used to walk to school, and had to cross a major road.

We had these things called crossing guards... these people would actually go out in the road and stop the traffic while we walked across.

Amazing!

Any bets on how many of these parents are driving a single kid a half mile to school in an SUV that could likely take the entire block's worth of kids to school?

~Bang

I can remember three times my parents gave me a ride to school,I walked in rain,snow and floods (uphill both ways;))till I got a bicycle and pedaled my ass all over town.

I was a crossing guard Bang...even had the badge :ols:

I've commented on this very thing. It's amazing. I take my 1 and 4 year old to day care in the morning, which happens to be near a middle school and elementary school. If I'm there from 7:30 - 8a.m.... forget it. Line of cars as far as the eye can see shuttling their children to the front door of the school.

My Jr. High School had 1 parking lot with about 50 cars in it, all for teachers. Everyone else road the bus or walked. If your parents dropped you off, there was a pretty good chance you were getting your ass kicked.

I can remember three times my parents gave me a ride to school,I walked in rain,snow and floods (uphill both ways;))till I got a bicycle and pedaled my ass all over town.

I was a crossing guard Bang...even had the badge :ols:

apparently you're one of the last of a dead breed in Texas.

~Bang

Archived