Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should all colleges start to run background checks on applicants? (Enlight of all of the school shootings)

jthor99

We were having a discussion in one of my college courses today about background checks, and the conversation emerged about running background checks on college applicants when applying for universities. I realize that their are colleges already running background checks or at least asking on the application if you have been convicted of a crime.

With all of the shootings and horrific things taking place lately do you guys here at ES believe this is a good idea? Would it possibly help identify certain individuals? Is it just too expensive for schools to run this on every applicant student? These were just a couple of points that were brought up today and I thought it was an interesting discussion.

I attend Towson University just north of Baltimore and I remember seeing them asking me this question on my application and didn’t think much of it at the time.

Are criminals less than human? Are people who have broken the law to be shunned from society forever? Already denied the right to vote, should they also be denied the right to an education and make something of their lives? At what point have they paid their due and are able to live as a normal American citizen? Never?

We've got MILLIONS of people in this country who have broken the law and gotten a record. Such as myself. Some when they were almost still kids. As such life is damn hard. Our opportunity to make something of our lives is little to none. Education gives some hope. If I can go to school, excel in my studies, learn a skill, make myself marketable, just maybe I can, you know, provide for myself. And now that's going to be taken away from me? And for what? As has already been pointed out, almost all the school shooters would have passed a background check.

BTW, it used to be that ex-drug offenders couldn't get financial aid. Even those convicted of simple pot possession. Not sure if it's still like that.

**** yea.

They started doing background checks to people applying into apartment communities. In fact, my background check took 3 days (they said it was probably because I moved around so much) and in the process of my background check taking so long, they said my rent increased in the process due to the market. **** them.

So if I have to do it just to live in a freakin apartment or any job that I apply at , then college students should definitely have to.

In light of recent events, this could be something that private colleges do, but I do not see the big universities doing it. Too expensive.

I know for a fact that the UNC system is millions over budget right now which leads to cutbacks in classes and the laying off of professors. Not to mention a hike in tuition so someone please tell me where the money for such a wasteful project like this would come from? Many times these "crazies" we are trying to keep out don't have any documented issues so they would come clean anyways.

Having a criminal record shouldn't mean you have any less right to an education than I do.

Archived