Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Russell & Rich Campbell Twitter: Jeremy Bates (ex Seattle OC) a possibility for Skins?

GenMgr

I bet a lot of people said the same about Trent Dilfer. Obviously their defense is not as good as it was in 2000 but their offense is significantly better at the skill positions. Flacco will be just fine.

I think he is a starting NFL QB but not an upper echelon QB and not one who is a difference maker. Give him a good defense, a solid running game and protection and he can be productive but he's not a guy who can carry the load IMO.

How is he a possibility when we already have an OC in place? Like BLC said, it's very doubtful he takes a backward step to positional coach, so this look's like a lazy, non-story piece of speculation.

Hail.

Uh what are you talking about. When a coach fails at a certain level he almost ALWAYS steps back in position. This happens often with former head coaches becoming offensive or defensive coordinators elsewhere upon firing. If he failed at OC then the logical step IS EXACTLY a position coaching job.

flacco just isnt that good. hes a decent QB surrounded by a ton of talent and a vicious defense. he'd be pretty weak on a lot of teams, and he cannot be leaned on in crunch time. the ravens know this, and their fans know its coming every single playoffs. theyll never win a superbowl with flacco back there.

Bull. Their fans are still Wacko for Flacco. Even during the Chiefs game, where he clearly wasn't doing much except for that touchdown to Boldin, I asked on facebook what fans thought of him. I might as well have banged their moms, and these people are my friends, because they went OFF about how incredible he is.

I bet a lot of people said the same about Trent Dilfer. Obviously their defense is not as good as it was in 2000 but their offense is significantly better at the skill positions. Flacco will be just fine.

Dilfer happened to be on that team. He didn't do squat. Flacco is better, but a nickel is worth more than a penny; neither are buying you ****.

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 03:33 PM ----------

Uh what are you talking about. When a coach fails at a certain level he almost ALWAYS steps back in position. This happens often with former head coaches becoming offensive or defensive coordinators elsewhere upon firing. If he failed at OC then the logical step IS EXACTLY a position coaching job.

Examples from a head coaching position? Not saying that you're wrong, but all that I can think of is Turner and Schotty and Fox. I guess that Wade would be one.

Bull. Their fans are still Wacko for Flacco. Even during the Chiefs game, where he clearly wasn't doing much except for that touchdown to Boldin, I asked on facebook what fans thought of him. I might as well have banged their moms, and these people are my friends, because they went OFF about how incredible he is.

let me rephrase. "smart" ravens fans would.......

better?

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 03:34 PM ----------

I think he is a starting NFL QB but not an upper echelon QB and not one who is a difference maker. Give him a good defense, a solid running game and protection and he can be productive but he's not a guy who can carry the load IMO.

agreed hes a decent starting QB, however hes not up there with the great ones, and he doesnt even have that roethlisburger "meh for 3 quarters, joe montana when behind 6 points" thing going for him. the ravens are gonna continue running a ton, leaning on their defense and hoping they get turnovers, cause flacco is never gonna take them all the way.

in addition he gutted the team by dumping all of the talented players then gets canned....call it misery loves company, but I also found this decision how ownership handled the situation somehow gratifying....

exactly. maybe people feel sorry for zorn cause hes such a happy go lucky gee golly whiz dude, but itd still be kinda funny if he got fired.

but mcdaniels was a clown. cheating stupid terrible coach who deserved all he got. F that guy.

Flacco will be just fine.

He'd be just fine if he played the Colts and Chargers in the playoffs. He's never going to cut it against Pitt, Jets, or even his own defense. He can't get the ball to a receiver fast enough. He's a younger version of the Brunell we tried to win in the playoffs with. Not gonna happen unless things just work out perfectly in the schedule.

---------- Post added January-19th-2011 at 06:52 AM ----------

in addition he gutted the team by dumping all of the talented players then gets canned....call it misery loves company, but I also found this decision how ownership handled the situation somehow gratifying....

They must be kicking themselves for firing Shanahan and hiring that dude now. I would have fired Shanahan there a lot earlier but McDaniels was a HUGE mistake and too bad they didn't get a GM to stop him from ruining their team. John Fox isn't looking at a playoff team anytime in the near future, IMO.

I've always thought Bates was a good coach.

He was Mike's OC and playcaller in Denver during their prolific passing offenses w/ Cutler.

I think it would be a great hire as TE coach, although imo he would make more sense as the QB coach.

But, w/ Kyle here as OC i think any position on the staff that Bates holds would make an already strange coaching staff dynamic that much stranger.

I know current qb coach Matt Lafleur is supposed to be Kyle's guy, but do we have any idea how everyone thinks he did this year?

There is really wno ay to know from the outside, but I have thought Bates is a good coach and am very interested in bringing him in.

It would be ironic, considering it was Flacco's best year as a pro, but you can take the Junks with a grain of salt.

Yeah, it would be more then ironic it would be arbitrary.

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 04:44 PM ----------

I know current qb coach Matt Lafleur is supposed to be Kyle's guy, but do we have any idea how everyone thinks he did this year?

There is really wno ay to know from the outside, but I have thought Bates is a good coach and am very interested in bringing him in.

One of the key roles of a QB coach is to serve as a QB advocate between the QB and the OC/HC.

The QB coach is also responsible for helping the QB understanding the offense.

Dilfer happened to be on that team. He didn't do squat. Flacco is better, but a nickel is worth more than a penny; neither are buying you ****.

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 03:33 PM ----------

Examples from a head coaching position? Not saying that you're wrong, but all that I can think of is Turner and Schotty and Fox. I guess that Wade would be one.

Wade, McDaniels, Martz, Haslett, Dennis Green, and with Jim Zorn and Singletary you have even bigger step down cause they were even bigger failures...thats just off the top of my head.

Cam Cameron, Rod Marinelli, and Mike Nolan are also examples. Dick Jauron is another Zorn example of an even further fall.

Childress will almost for sure be an example as well.

All of this is to say that GibbsHogHeaven's original comment that theres almost no way he'd take a step down is far from the truth when we see Head Coaches stepping back after being fired all the time....SOME even all the way to position coach. So it's not far fetched AT ALL to assume an OC would step back to a position coaching job.

I think Pitt just has his number. Kinda like Young couldn't beat Dallas for a long while. Peyton couldn't beat New England. Favre couldn't beat Aikman. Marino couldn't beat Kelly. It happens all the time, but it doesn't make them bad QBs. Flacco can easily go to a SB if it goes through another team.

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 10:27 PM ----------

Wade, McDaniels, Martz, Haslett, Dennis Green, and with Jim Zorn and Singletary you have even bigger step down cause they were even bigger failures...thats just off the top of my head.

Cam Cameron, Rod Marinelli, and Mike Nolan are also examples. Dick Jauron is another Zorn example of an even further fall.

Childress will almost for sure be an example as well.

All of this is to say that GibbsHogHeaven's original comment that theres almost no way he'd take a step down is far from the truth when we see Head Coaches stepping back after being fired all the time....SOME even all the way to position coach. So it's not far fetched AT ALL to assume an OC would step back to a position coaching job.

Normally they step back down to what they were known for - what got them the HC job. People like Singletary and Zorn were never coordinators, so giving them an OC job after being fired from being a HC is still like a promotion in some sorts, so they went back to position coaches.

Archived