Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Jammal Brown has unfinished business

themurf

Pouncey's numerous errors on shotgun snaps terrify me. I'm not sure if they keep stats on those things but he's probably the worst at shotgun snaps in Division 1. Definitely in the SEC. It is puzzling why I keep hearing his name brought up about elite centers. I guess because of his brother and that he's a pretty good blocker... but it would seem to me a prerequisite that you know how to snap the ball.

google "Pouncey + Bad Snaps"... you'll see what I mean.

He is a good blocker and very athletic. I wonder if he could be made into a guard.

He's projected as a guard in the NFL, which is what he was before his brother left Florida.

I've seen mocks that have the Steelers taking him, and making him a guard. And that just seems like something they would do.

If we move Montgomery to Center we improve the C spot.

The team/staff seems to like Corey Lichtensteiger at LG.

Trent is set in stone at LT.

That leaves RG and RT.

Then they have to decide is Jamaal Brown age and injury/expense less risky then find a younger established player at that position?

Jermon Bushrod (NO)

Jared Gaither (BAL)

Ryan Harris (DEN)

Charlie Johnson (IND)

or

a young journeyman back-up player w/ some starts under there belts and upside?

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/ol.html

Actually, early in the season, I saw Brown get beat a lot more than Heyer.

Umm..Murf's article just stated that Brown was playing basically on one hip, early in the season.

Did you even read the article?

What's Tackle for Heyer's excuse the last few years? Bum hip or is it that he just sucks?

Nice write up Murf.

Take any bottle out of TK's liquor cabinet as compensation. :)

What's Tackle for Heyer's excuse the last few years?

Judging by your posting style the questions in your post are probably rhetorical.

But why would Heyer need an excuse?

He's not the 'pro-bowl' caliber OT he's the back-up.

And, actually, Heyer was hurt for part of this year and played most of last season w/ a major knee injury that prevented him from practicing.

Judging by your posting style the questions in your post are probably rhetorical.

But why would Heyer need an excuse?

He's not the 'pro-bowl' caliber OT he's the back-up.

And, actually, Heyer was hurt for part of this year and played most of last season w/ a major knee injury that prevented him from practicing.

Backups are supposed to come in, hold down the fort-be solid...until the starter is able to return.

I know what good backups look like as we've had them here before: Ed Simmons, Raleigh McKenzie.

Heyer's not a solid backup period. He's a turnstyle that gets his QB killed when forced to start.

We can do better than picking up an overrated local kid...but I guess that just shows how bad our scouting department is.

Umm..Murf's article just stated that Brown was playing basically on one hip, early in the season.

Did you even read the article?

What's Tackle for Heyer's excuse the last few years? Bum hip or is it that he just sucks?

Heyer was playing with a bad leg last year.

People belittle Heyer, but for the past two years the team has been looking for replacements for him. The fact that Heyer sticks on this roster and still gets playing time tells me that other options are worse and that it isn't as easy finding a replacement for Heyer as people think.

Heyer was playing with a bad leg last year.

People belittle Heyer, but for the past two years the team has been looking for replacements for him. The fact that Heyer sticks on this roster and still gets playing time tells me that other options are worse and that it isn't as easy finding a replacement for Heyer as people think.

I tend to agree. I don't get the hate for Heyer. If one wishes to express anger, direct it at the front office that put an undrafted rookie from MD in the starting LT spot.

He's an adequate backup, and performed very well as an emergency guard this year. Actually, I wonder if they won't take a second look at that performance, from what I saw he looked very comfortable at the guard spot.

Heyer's not a solid backup period. He's a turnstyle that gets his QB killed when forced to start.

Course, it is ignored that Lichtensteiger, Brown and Hicks also got their QB killed at times. Difference is, those guys were expected to be starters.

I have a feeling those who critisize Heyer probably haven't watched him play much. While he does give ground a lot, more often than not he does a solid job out there. His downside is that he gets sloppy at times with his technique and sometimes false starts, most likely to get a jump on the D-Line to make up for his lack of athleticism.

Yes, we can do better. But, we also could do much worse.

---------- Post added January-13th-2011 at 02:42 PM ----------

I tend to agree. I don't get the hate for Heyer. If one wishes to express anger, direct it at the front office that put an undrafted rookie from MD in the starting LT spot.

Uh, when did they ever do that?

Course, it is ignored that Lichtensteiger, Brown and Hicks also got their QB killed at times. Difference is, those guys were expected to be starters

Of the three you menioned, both Brown and Lichtensteiger got better as the season wore on and Hicks was demoted.

Heyer's been here for how long? And still has trouble holding his ground and let's not even get into the drive killing penalties he always commits.

Little to no improvement.

And yes zoony, my anger is more directed towards ownership- who refuses to outfit this club with the biggest and best scouting department league wide and instead goes on the cheap which leaves his coaches to work with guys that belong on the loading dock and not on an NFL field.

Backups are supposed to come in, hold down the fort-be solid...until the starter is able to return.

I know what good backups look like as we've had them here before: Ed Simmons, Raleigh McKenzie.

We can do better than picking up an overrated local kid...but I guess that just shows how bad our scouting department is.

Your right, we should have done better. When Heyer first came on this team, he probably was not the best choice as a backup/developmental player. We probably could have done a lot better.

Now that he has like 3-4 yrs of experience and investment in coaching, as a pure 2nd or 3rd string backup, for the price, we probably cannot do much better.

2 or 3 year deal would work, he is still good, plus gives us time to develope Capers, or other future RT prospects

We need a good center, the rest of the line really wasn't all bad. For as good of a guy Rabach is, he just isn't productive anymore. He was a great get and good for a while, but his time has come to a pass.

Your right, we should have done better. When Heyer first came on this team, he probably was not the best choice as a backup/developmental player. We probably could have done a lot better.

Now that he has like 3-4 yrs of experience and investment in coaching, as a pure 2nd or 3rd string backup, for the price, we probably cannot do much better.

I would agree, I think people expect too much from him.

Uh, when did they ever do that?

:doh:

sorry. be mad at the front office who hired the dumbass who did it. who didn't have any other options. because Vinny Cerrato is a ****ing douche.

and if you're honestly going to split hairs about him being a rookie... well, let's just say the entire "listens to Rush and enjoys home theater" thing makes perfect sense. As those are often the people who have the interpersonal skills of serial killers.

Heyer's been here for how long? And still has trouble holding his ground and let's not even get into the drive killing penalties he always commits.

Little to no improvement.

And again, Heyer hasn't expected to be a starter for the past couple of years. He is what he is, and that's a reserve OL.

And yes zoony, my anger is more directed towards ownership- who refuses to outfit this club with the biggest and best scouting department league wide and instead goes on the cheap which leaves his coaches to work with guys that belong on the loading dock and not on an NFL field.

Funny, Snyder gave Allen and Shanahan the rights to do what they want with the scouting department, and so far the only change they have made is to replace one scout with one Allen worked with in Tampa.

I don't think scouting is as much of a problem as lack of draft picks and lack of coaching/FO continuity.

Absolutely correct.

He was brought in as camp fodder. He still is.

But at the time it was(in ES land) "Well, he's a UDFA from Maryland!! Go Terps!!...Umm..Joe Jacoby was a UDFA and look how he turned out!!! Heyer's gonna be another diamond in the rough!! Wait till Buges finishes with him..all pro baby..all pro."

Buges did what he could with what he had to work with.

For all the potential that was espoused about him 3-4 years ago, nothing has come of it. What we do know is that he's a very limited player and if we had a scouting department worth a damn, they could probably find someone in the fourth or fifth round that could surpass him in one camp.

:doh:

sorry. be mad at the front office who hired the dumbass who did it. who didn't have any other options. because Vinny Cerrato is a ****ing douche.

and if you're honestly going to split hairs about him being a rookie... well, let's just say the entire "listens to Rush and enjoys home theater" thing makes perfect sense. As those are often the people who have the interpersonal skills of serial killers.

Again, I'm confused because you aren't making any sense. Heyer was never named as a starter at LT except when there were injuries. At RT, Heyer has always competed for the job with other players. Now, you can blame the team for not having the draft picks to select better players for starters, and I agree with that. But, that wasn't remotely the point I was making.

As for the second part, I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about.

He's an adequate backup, and performed very well as an emergency guard this year. Actually, I wonder if they won't take a second look at that performance, from what I saw he looked very comfortable at the guard spot.

Andy, let me put it this way - my wife, who doesn't have a mean bone in her body (as opposed to a complete cynic like me) cannot stand Stephon Heyer. Now, I'm on the sidelines and she's typically watching from home, so I didn't know about this for a while. But once I found out about her strong dislike for Heyer I needed to know more. I asked how she came to her current stance on him and she said, "If the Redskins complete a 12-yard pass on 3rd-and-11 and one player on the offense gets a penalty, it's always Heyer." She's convinced that he's a drive killer and holds a grudge because the team has such a small margin for error. It's not just that he gets beat. It's not just that he gets penalized. It's the timing of his mistakes that drives her crazy. I can't think of another player in professional sports she feels this strongly against, so when she tells me that, I can see where she's coming from.

. I asked how she came to her current stance on him and she said, "If the Redskins complete a 12-yard pass on 3rd-and-11 and one player on the offense gets a penalty, it's always Heyer." She's convinced that he's a drive killer and holds a grudge because the team has such a small margin for error. It's not just that he gets beat. It's not just that he gets penalized. It's the timing of his mistakes that drives her crazy. I can't think of another player in professional sports she feels this strongly against, so when she tells me that, I can see where she's coming from.

As Joe Gibbs was fond of saying: Murf, you out kicked your coverage! Smart Lady. :)

yeah, like not constantly getting bullrushed is too much to ask. :rolleyes:....And I must admit, i have a special place in my heart in my dislike for Heyer (as a player). I can't stand that POS! I normally don't act the fool regarding our players. And I typically like to give them the benefit of the doubt. But After 5 seasons, he's not improving to even being servicable. Just watch the games!!! As soon as he goes in for spot duty - if he's not getting blown up, he's getting beat around the edge, or he's picking up a critical holding penalty or false start. I absolutely can not stand him!!! What baffles me is the constant support he gets in here...uuughh!!

I really wanted Heyer to make a name for himself. Almost without fail, everytime Heyer was inserted this season things went south FAST. The protection and run blocking on the right side was atrocious - not bad, atrocious.

I get he's still young and was a UFA, but I really think it behooves us bringing in a better reserve like Mike Otto.

We'll see if he's back. I wish they would have given him more work inside. It's not personal - I remember him playing well going up against Strahan his first or second year in.

Andy, let me put it this way - my wife, who doesn't have a mean bone in her body (as opposed to a complete cynic like me) cannot stand Stephon Heyer. Now, I'm on the sidelines and she's typically watching from home, so I didn't know about this for a while. But once I found out about her strong dislike for Heyer I needed to know more. I asked how she came to her current stance on him and she said, "If the Redskins complete a 12-yard pass on 3rd-and-11 and one player on the offense gets a penalty, it's always Heyer." She's convinced that he's a drive killer and holds a grudge because the team has such a small margin for error. It's not just that he gets beat. It's not just that he gets penalized. It's the timing of his mistakes that drives her crazy. I can't think of another player in professional sports she feels this strongly against, so when she tells me that, I can see where she's coming from.

I think you get at the heart of why people think he's a horrible player: When he makes mistakes, they end up being badly timed and very visible. That being said, I don't think the number of mistakes are quite as high as most people here think. That's because they are not focusing on OL play when they are watching. I have at times and there have been mistakes made throughout the line this year. Heyer has hardly been the only one or even the biggest offender.

If he is as bad as some people say than no doubt he will be gone before next season. I don't think the Shanahans are going to play favorites with this guy cause he's from UMD.

Maybe we didn't have the personnel to do it last year but we have no reason to keep him this year if he is that bad. My guess is that if he is still here next year that he is probably just as valuable as most of us who have had a positive outlook on him in this thread, think.

Heyer has hardly been the only one or even the biggest offender.

Agreed. I honestly think that it might be best for everyone involved if Heyer and Casey Rabach got a fresh start elsewhere. I hear more complaining about those two than anyone else on the roster and it's not even close.

Archived