Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Trent Williams remains far from satisfied

themurf

How did they pass up on Russell Okung? I think everybody had Okung rated higher! I think we should have taken the more sure pick. Hopefully Trent will turnout to be just as good, but Okung had the better 1st year.

By what measure did Okung have the better 1st year?

He gave up less sacks and had less penalties, dont remember where I saw the stats at, I think someone on this board posted it.

He also did play less games than Trent and FWIW didn't play the same competition that Trent did all year. In the NFC West the only guy that is scary pass rushing is Chris Long IMO. Manny Lawson is okay but never has reached his potential, and honestly no one in Arizona scares me. Trent faces Umenyiora,Cole, and Ware that alone is worth more in my eyes

I love me some Trent Williams. Make sure he knows he's got a big fan in me!

After the Murderer's Row he faced this year, it's all going to seem easy from here on. I thought he showed himself to be QUITE capable against the best pas rushers in the league,, of which I think he faced probably 90% of those we'd consider "elite'.

In the rest of the line, m I alone in thinking that as the season progresses, Lich made strides?

I liked what I was seeing out of him in the last half of the season. His run blocking especially.

~Bang

I think the Redskins can build around Trent Williams and Jammal Brown. I also firmly believed that the Redskins needed major upgrade on the three interior offensive line spots, but after talking with some folks, I think they'd be much better by simply upgrading onr or two spots. I think Montgomery and Lichtensteiger both did well enough to stick around as back-ups, and maybe one of them could even be a starter next season if talent around them was upgraded. I think I'd like to see Montgomery be given a shot to be the full-time center and then the team can use a second rounder on a guard. Either way, I think the offensive line can be a strength next season without having to upgrade all three interior slots.

I think you are totally right. Nice article too!

He also did play less games than Trent and FWIW didn't play the same competition that Trent did all year. In the NFC West the only guy that is scary pass rushing is Chris Long IMO. Manny Lawson is okay but never has reached his potential, and honestly no one in Arizona scares me. Trent faces Umenyiora,Cole, and Ware that alone is worth more in my eyes
He gave up 11.5 sacks in 14 games compared to 4 sacks in 10 games for Okung. Why would playing much worse against a higher level of competition be worth more to you?

Link

I think the Redskins can build around Trent Williams and Jammal Brown. I also firmly believed that the Redskins needed major upgrade on the three interior offensive line spots, but after talking with some folks, I think they'd be much better by simply upgrading onr or two spots. I think Montgomery and Lichtensteiger both did well enough to stick around as back-ups, and maybe one of them could even be a starter next season if talent around them was upgraded. I think I'd like to see Montgomery be given a shot to be the full-time center and then the team can use a second rounder on a guard. Either way, I think the offensive line can be a strength next season without having to upgrade all three interior slots.

If we can land a stud guard in FA, and land a stud G or C in the draft (likely 2nd round), then I have no problems with looking to Lich, Montgomery, or maybe BMW to fill the last interior spot. I agree that the Skins can build around Brown as well as Trent. Brown started looking better, and consensus was even at start of the season that Brown's injury was going to take a season to bounce back from.

And I'm happy with Trent's comments. His work ethic was a concern entering the draft, and it seems from those comments about not being satisfied yet that he's been instilled with a good work ethic under Shanahan.

He gave up 11.5 sacks in 14 games compared to 4 sacks in 10 games for Okung. Why would playing much worse against a higher level of competition be worth more to you?

Link

Why? Because he faced murders row of Pass rushers. Ware, Williams, Cole, Peppers, Freeney, Babin(freak year for him), Umenyiora, VanDen Bosch, those are a lot better than the guys that Okung faced

Okung faced these guys

Long, Peppers, J.Abraham, Hali, are the only guys I consider very good pass rushers. I put Babin in the list for Williams because the guy was dominant as a pass rusher this year for Tennessee and finally reached his potential that he had. Okung also missed 6 games while Trent missed 2 that also is a sticking point for me, I don't want my LT hurt and missing games and Trent even played through the pain and kept playing

Link

Not sure how much credibility I give that site you linked to. Am I really supposed to believe that Rabach and Montgomery combined to allow a total of 1.75 sacks in a combined 29 games played? I like Montgomery a think he's a serviceable player, but I have a hard time believing he didn't allow a single sack in 13 games played.

Not sure how much credibility I give that site you linked to. Am I really supposed to believe that Rabach and Montgomery combined to allow a total of 1.75 sacks in a combined 29 games played? I like Montgomery a think he's a serviceable player, but I have a hard time believing he didn't allow a single sack in 13 games played.

Not to mention the Lions game, where I lost count of how many sacks Rabach gave up :ols:

Also, what I saw a lot of Trent this year was him having pretty good games overall against good pass rushers but making a rookie mistake or two along the way that resulted in sacks. I don't think I ever remember seeing him consistently giving up QB pressures and sacks over the course of a game, with the exception being the 1st Giants game.

I love me some Trent Williams. Make sure he knows he's got a big fan in me!

After the Murderer's Row he faced this year, it's all going to seem easy from here on. I thought he showed himself to be QUITE capable against the best pas rushers in the league,, of which I think he faced probably 90% of those we'd consider "elite'.

In the rest of the line, m I alone in thinking that as the season progresses, Lich made strides?

I liked what I was seeing out of him in the last half of the season. His run blocking especially.

~Bang

No, you're not alone. He definitely improved the last few games of the season, and as he did along with Montgomery, Rabach himself looked better. Shocking, lol.

Yeah, I went through it and Redskins OL is accounted for only 31 sacks, when 46 was the season total. Dockery isn't credited with any sacks given up either.

We've drafted our Franchise pass rusher and our Franchise LT in the last two years...now its time to complete the trifecta and draft our Franchise QB. THAT's what you call rebuilding. Hopefully, FA brings us some nifty OL pieces thrown into the mix as well, and maybe a NT.

Archived