Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Harbaugh Expecting $6 Million+ To Coach In The NFL

tdigle

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-contact-jim-harbaugh-010520110104,0,7758119.story

Hopefully, his camp means $6 million+ for three years, not $6 million+ annually. History shows us that college football coaches very rarely fare well in the NFL (when they do, though, they tend to be amazing, e.g., Jimmy Johnson or Bill Walsh). I know Harbaugh's the hottest coaching commodity right now in the world of football, but I don't think he's worth more than what an NFL coordinator would get paid for their first HC gig (he's had one amazing season at Stanford and I don't expect him to be anything like his brother since he won't have a roster loaded with talent waiting for him).

How do you feel about the situation? I don't doubt someone will meet Harbaugh's asking price, but do you think he's worth it? Should he jump ship to the pros, do you think he'll be a sensation or a bust (or somewhere in between)?

Harbaugh holds all the power in this situation and I don't blame him for setting a large price. Harbaugh doesn't have to leave his situation, he can stay where he's at, have Luck come back for another year and make a run at a national title next year. He has no reason to leave Stanford right now, especially since Luck doesn't have to go. If the 49ers are willing to meet his price, then good for him.

forget about the question, "is he worth it"?....i could care less what the rich owners throw their money at anymore...its disgusting anyway......I don't count their money, nor do i care how they spend it......so forget about whether he is worth it or not,

What do you guys think of him as a coach, and can he be successful......Some have said he is more of a college type coach........i don't buy that either. A coach is a coach, and if one can succeed at one level, then he "can" be successful at the other........now "can be"...is quite loaded. It takes a lot of things to line up for success.....

Personally, i think this dude should stay at Standford, I look at Stanford as a top 20-25 school year in and year out,m yet with Luck and Harbaugh...they are top 5! How much is him and how much is Luck?

I agree with TRPB. With USC on the decline, he could build Stanford into a national powerhouse. I mean I wouldn't blame him for taking $6 Mil, he'll likely never see that kind of money in college. But like most college coaches he'll probably flame out in the pros.

History shows us that college football coaches very rarely fare well in the NFL (when they do, though, they tend to be amazing, e.g., Jimmy Johnson or Bill Walsh).

Actually, he's got the double whammy of being a college coach and a former NFL QB. Of the latter, I don't think any of them have been successful in the NFL. (And of course, we had two of them with Spurrier and Zorn.)

What do you guys think of him as a coach, and can he be successful......Some have said he is more of a college type coach........i don't buy that either. A coach is a coach, and if one can succeed at one level, then he "can" be successful at the other........now "can be"...is quite loaded. It takes a lot of things to line up for success.....

Personally, i think this dude should stay at Standford, I look at Stanford as a top 20-25 school year in and year out,m yet with Luck and Harbaugh...they are top 5! How much is him and how much is Luck?

Well he does run a "pro-style" I-Form based offense and as noted is a former NFL QB and brother to a very successful NFL HC.

I don't think Stanford is a top 20-25 football school. They have trouble recruiting the very best because of their academic requirements (which they don't lower for football players, usually). Its a school that goes through highs and lows and I think Harbaugh is doing the the right thing by riding them to this point (highest ranking ever I believe) and then leaving for a bigger, better and more expensive job.

Dolphins forum is blowing up. Sparano has been fired, Hue Jackson was interviewed last night to fulfill the Rooney Rule and Harbaugh has accepted the mega-deal the Dolphins offered. Waiting for confirmation from Schefter/Glazer/Mort but it seems done

JLC:

The money being offered Harbaugh could meet or exceed $8M per season I hear. Should MIA fulfill the Rooney Rule this could happen quickly

Dolphins forum is blowing up. Sparano has been fired, Hue Jackson was interviewed last night to fulfill the Rooney Rule and Harbaugh has accepted the mega-deal the Dolphins offered. Waiting for confirmation from Schefter/Glazer/Mort but it seems done

JLC:

The money being offered Harbaugh could meet or exceed $8M per season I hear. Should MIA fulfill the Rooney Rule this could happen quickly

Any way the Fins trade up for Luck?

That's like Sir Alex Ferguson money!

Interesting that he wants to coach in same conference as John. Sibling rivalry?

I'd look into that if it were same division. As it is, they only play each other every 3 years, save for preseason and the "extra" games. I really thought he might take the Cleveland job because of that reason.

FYI, highest paid coaches this year:

Belichick $7.5mil

Shanahan $7mil

Carroll $7mil

Fisher $5.75mil

Coughlin $5.25mil

ESPN had a list that had Tomlin (5.8) and Wisenhut (5.5) above Couglin but yeah.

Clayton just reported the Dolphins did offer him the deal and he met with the Stanford president today to see what their offer is (not exceeding 3 mil he said). The Niners are offering 5 mil and most believe Harbaugh is taking the deal and taking his talents to South Beach

I would go back to Stanford with Luck who is not going pro this year and try to win the national championship. Then next year Harbaugh and Luck can go to NFL and get even more money from those nutty owners who will compete for his services and pay him more than $8 million. I knew he would not be stupid and go to the 49ers. The 49ers have a worse front office than the Skins and an owner like the Skins owner.

JLC:

Espn and CNN are both reporting on Sparano as comeing back next year

Archived