Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Matt Leinart

Ricky Ervins

I agree to take Chris Sims before looking at Matt L. There is no magic quarterback who is sitting on an NFL roster that we can steal away and turn into a playoff caliber starter. Need to find one through the draft at this point. But we need defensive linemen and have other needs so I would rather keep McNabb for one more year but that is not going to happen. I have no long term faith in Rex Grossman. He is a turnover creating machine for most defenses he faces. He tries hard but he is really not talented. Want to thank Vinny and Snyder for passing on Drew Brees several years ago after he was available and had left San Diego. I give tons of credit to New Orleans for signing him. The Dolphins were the only other team interested in signing him. We need scouts and a front office that can find second, third and late round talent through the draft now. Bobby Beathard really knew how to find "hungry" players through the draft.

I obviously have no way of knowing, but some reason, I get the feeling this thread will be bumped sometime in the next few months...

Scouting Report Links:

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/matt_leinart.html

There is nothing physically that stands out about Leinart. He can make any throw needed, but he does not have a cannon. He is mobile, but he's not a standout athlete and is not a threat to tuck it. There were some times this year where he let his passes sail, and he won't be allowed to do that in the NFL. He has the arm strength to get the ball into coverage, he just needs to do it more often. In the NFL, a lot of the touch passes he throws will not be completed. Also, as a marked man this year, Leinart took a couple late hits to the head, and came up a little foggy at times. Just as a precaution, those slight concussions will be checked out.

http://www.sportznutz.com/nfl/draft/2006_players/matt_leinart.htm

Positives:

During his career at USC, Matt Leinart has shown good accuracy on all routes, to go along with good down-field vision. He throws one of the best deep balls in college football, putting the ball where only his guy can get it. Leinart has good pocket presence and is mobile enough to avoid the pressure, but he usually won't break a big run. He has shown he can play against top tier defenses in pressure situations. He shows great composure and leadership on the field.

Negatives:

Some question as to whether he is as good as he has looked or if it was a product of the system and supporting cast...Not very mobile...Only average athletic ability...Needs to continue to work on and refine his mechanics. Leinart's foot work isn't as good as it could be, but it obviously hasn't hurt him. However, if he works this out he will be an even better QB. The other area of concern for Leinart is his arm strength. While he has the arm to throw the ball deep, he doesn't, as of right now, have the arm to efficiently throw the deep out in the NFL.

If Matt Leinart couldn't cut it in Arizona with Fitz & Boldin I don't see how he'd have a prayer with our wr core and oline. If we are going to look at castoff FA QB's I think we need to either A) make major upgrades to WR/O-line in the draft and hope we can get a late round brady or B) settle for someone like Tavarus Jackson who has wheels and can possibly get by some defenders when the play breaks down. Of course option B will limit our deep passing game and we will have to settle more often than not for quick slants/posts and screens

Matt Leinart as a #3 is actually not bad considering he's familiar with Gary Kubiak's offense.

Yea I'm REALLY confused about everyone being so vehemently against the possibility of picking him up to compete for a backup spot. I'll say it again: there is NO risk. We're not talking about trading ANYTHING. We would not pay him DIDDLY. Yet, his pure talent made people, at one time, believe he'd be the next big thing at QB and he just spent a year learning our (Shanny/Kubiak's) offense. I don't think he'd really amount to much here, but he's the type of guy who could one day make a great veteran backup for a young QB, and until then he could provide competition at the #2 and #3 QB posts, which is always good.

Matt Leinart as a #3 is actually not bad considering he's familiar with Gary Kubiak's offense.

I don't see this happening. I think we will resign Rex on another one-year deal. If nothing else, he can be a liaison to the new qb with terminology ect.... Beck signed an extension in the preseason so hes pretty much a lock at #3 unless he either is somehow seriously injured or plays/practices horribly (Shanny has commended how well hes practiced) The starter will be either Rex, the Rookie,or FA signee with the other being the backup. The only other possible scenario is that McNabb returns and either anointed the starter, or battles with a rookie/FA QB but id give that as much chance as me winning the powerball

I don't see this happening. I think we will resign Rex on another one-year deal. If nothing else, he can be a liaison to the new qb with terminology ect.... Beck signed an extension in the preseason so hes pretty much a lock at #3 unless he either is somehow seriously injured or plays/practices horribly (Shanny has commended how well hes practiced) The starter will be either Rex, the Rookie,or FA signee with the other being the backup. The only other possible scenario is that McNabb returns and either anointed the starter, or battles with a rookie/FA QB but id give that as much chance as me winning the powerball

Hey I love Beck as much as the next guy (All Hail John Beck !! :D ) but i'm fairly sure that his contract revision/extension actually made him more expendable, not more secured. I don't have the link, but I think if you do a thread search back around that time you'll see this was discussed by a few.

Here's the link: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?331214-Adam-Schefter-twitter-Redskins-sign-QB-Beck-to-2-yr-extention./page2 the discussion about his contract terms start around post #79.

Well maybe so, but it would make more sense to keep a 3rd stringer who has knowldge of the system, than a guy who has to learn it. The chances of a third stringer playing are remote so i guess you could argue that Leinart would have plenty of time to learn it, but IMO it would make more sense to keep the guy whos already under contract and has been around this system for a year. Now if there was a significant upgrade id be all for it, but againt we are talking 3rd string QB.

Well maybe so, but it would make more sense to keep a 3rd stringer who has knowldge of the system, than a guy who has to learn it. The chances of a third stringer playing are remote so i guess you could argue that Leinart would have plenty of time to learn it, but IMO it would make more sense to keep the guy whos already under contract and has been around this system for a year. Now if there was a significant upgrade id be all for it, but againt we are talking 3rd string QB.

Leinart does have knowledge of the system since he spend this season in Houston, plus he's two years younger than Beck (27 and 29, respectively) and you usually want a younger guy at 3rd string.

Leinart does have knowledge of the system since he spend this season in Houston, plus he's two years younger than Beck (27 and 29, respectively) and you usually want a younger guy at 3rd string.

How about we go into next year with a QB competition between Rex, Beck, and Leinart? All 3 have at least a year in the system under their belt, and we can use the 3rd round pick we get for #5 towards filling one of our many holes. Sounds like an automatic fast track to teh paloffs if you ask me :D

How about we go into next year with a QB competition between Rex, Beck, and Leinart? All 3 have at least a year in the system under their belt, and we can use the 3rd round pick we get for #5 towards filling one of our many holes. Sounds like an automatic fast track to teh paloffs if you ask me :D

I'm in favor of drafting a QB if a good one falls to us, but if not (decide not to, one doesn't fall to us, whatever), then I'd be cool with that trio heading into next season. Obviously none of those guys is the long term answer but that'd be a solid three guys to compete for the job for a couple years while we build a team and look for a QB in the draft.

We need to draft a QB, even if it is a late round pick. Leinart would be a good addition to compete so long as he isn't relied upon to start.

So would Jamarcus Russel, Ryan Leaf, Jeff George, or any other number of QBs nobody wants.

Really no reason to bring another high profile loser in here. There's no upside with that guy.

If they do draft a QB, I just hope they get one who can move his head to the left or right a little; you know, scan the field a little?

It would be in their better interest to go after some middle round QB that has some book-smarts to him; there are quite a few mid round ones who panned out pretty well, and probably will not be demanding 50 mil off the bat...

Ideally, you want much younger than either 27 or 29 when you're only in your second year of the system. Rookies can be taught and groomed as cheap 3rd stringers. Is there ever really a need to make a sizeable investment in a 3rd stringer, especially when they never see the field?

As for Leinart replacing Beck at all, I'm not even sure he's an upgrade at this point in his career. The Redskins had a shot at Leinart and passed already from what I remember.

Archived