Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 NFL ES Player Awards

pointyfootball

NFL 2010 Player Awards

List of candidates, based on my observations and stat-"research". Copy & paste form at bottom and select your selections with reasoning/arguments/belittling/name-calling/harrassment discourse for your picks. Feel free to add other candidates.

Most Valuable Player (MVP)

Tom Brady (66.6%, 3561yds, 7.9ypa, 31td/4int,109.9rtg, 17rushyds/1td)

Michael Vick (63.2%, 2755, 8.4ypa, 20td/5int, 103.7rtg, 613rushyds/8td)

Philip Rivers (66.6%, 4141, 8.9ypa, 29td/11int, 105.7rtg, 49rushyds/0td)

Defensive Player of the Year (DPOY)

Clay Matthews, Packers (12.5sacks, 1int, 1FF, 53tot-tckls)

James Harrison, Steelers (10sacks, 2int, 6FF, 89tot-tckls)

Cameron Wake, Dolphins (14sacks, 0int, 3FF, 51tot-tckls)

Offensive Player of the Year (OPOY)

Philip Rivers

Arian Foster (277/1345yds, 4.9avg, 13td, 60rec/550yds, 2td)

Michael Vick

Tom Brady

Defensive Rookie of the Year (DROY)

Ndamukong Suh, Lions (8.0sacks, 1int, 0FF, 55tot-tckls)

Sean Weatherspoon, Falcons, (12.5sacks, 1int, 1FF, 53tot-tckls)

Eric Berry, Chiefs (2.0sacks, 3int, 1FF, 81tot-tckls)

Devin McCourty (1sacks, 6int, 1FF, 77tot-tckls)

Offensive Rookie of the Year (OROY)

Sam Bradford, Rams (59.4%, 3065yds, 5.9ypa, 17td/14int,75.9rtg, 63rushyds/1td)

Aaron Hernandez, Patriots (45/563yds, 6td)

Maurkice Pouncey, Steelers (stats: he's good)

Dez Bryant, Cowboys (45rec/561yds, 6td, 2ret td)

Come Back Player of the Year (CBPOY)

Michael Vick (not sure if he qualifies)

Brandon Lloyd, Broncos (67red/1264yds, 10td)

Matt Cassel, Chiefs (29.3%, 2687yds, 7.0ypa, 24td/5int, 96.3rtg)

Wes Welker, Patriots (83rec/829yds, 7td)

Coach of the Year

Bill Bellicheck 2009: 10-6, 2010: 12-2

Todd Haley 2009: 4-12, 2010: 9-5

Andy Reid 2009: 11-5, 2010: 10-4

Mike Smith 2009: 9-7, 2010: 12-2

Ballot Form:

MVP:

DPOY:

OPOY:

DROY:

OROY

CBPOY:

COY:

Ballot Form:

MVP: Tom Brady. Even though MV can be mentioned, this is a no-brainer IMO.

DPOY: James Harrison. Extremely DOWN year for NFL Defenders. Highest interception player? Asante Samuel with 7, after missing 3 games.

OPOY: Michael Vick. ALERT: Potential homer pick. Despite missing several games, big yards through the air and on the ground. 3rd highest passer rating in NFL, several come-from behind wins.

DROY: Ndamukong Suh. He's probably top 3-4 DT in the NFL. Great player.

OROY: Sam Bradford. Great start, slowed down. Franchise QB from the looks of it.

CBPOY: Brandon Lloyd. Receivers never get mentioned for a lot of these awards, but he slightly edges out Matt Cassel, only because Lloyd has caught more yards than the last 4+ years combined and more TD passes than the last 5+ years combined (excluding this year, only has 15TDs & 2370yds in 7 year career)

COY: Mike Smith. Tough division; dominate at home, winning big on the road as well. The favorite to win the NFC.

Philip Rivers gets left out, arguably will be OPOY if his team makes playoffs.

PF

COY: Bellicheck

I thought of BB as well but opted for Mike Smith instead. IMO, Atlanta is the most complete team in the NFL. If they were to somehow lose homefield advantage I might change that, but I honestly think with HA, they are the best all-around team. The Patriots are Brady. Their defense is very suspect, their WRs are made fabulous by Brady (hence the reason he should win MVP), and they won their division last year. I just felt Falcons have come further and are a better team at this point. Case could easily be made for BB though.

MVP: Michael Vick (63.2%, 2755, 8.4ypa, 20td/5int, 103.7rtg, 613rushyds/8td)

DPOY: James Harrison, Steelers (10sacks, 2int, 6FF, 89tot-tckls) * Clay is an animal but you can't ignore these numbers Harrison is putting up

OPOY: Tom Brady

DROY: Ndamukong Suh, Lions (8.0sacks, 1int, 0FF, 55tot-tckls)

OROY: Sam Bradford, Rams (59.4%, 3065yds, 5.9ypa, 17td/14int,75.9rtg, 63rushyds/1td)

CBPOY: Brandon Lloyd, Broncos (67red/1264yds, 10td) *only if Vick doesn't qualify

COY: Bill Bellicheck 2009: 10-6, 2010: 12-2

Ballot Form:

MVP: Tom Brady

DPOY: Clay Matthews

OPOY: Tom Brady

DROY: Devin McCourty

OROY: Sam Bradford

CBPOY: Michael Vick

COY: Bill Belichick

---------- Post added December-22nd-2010 at 02:33 AM ----------

Good call on Morris. Most people didn't think Tampa would be where they're at today

Tampa has beaten ZERO teams with a winning record. He doesn't deserve coach of year. That's absurd.

Ballot Form:

MVP: Vick

DPOY: Wake

OPOY: Rivers

DROY: Suh

OROY Bradford

CBPOY: Loydd

COY: Haley

I dont have time for explanations ......and why i picked these players......Headed to Christmas Lunch with my employees in about and hour........

But I will when i have more time

VICK over Brady for me......Pats would be the same without Brady....Eagles would be 5-11 without Vick, maybe 6-10........

WAKE flat out gets after the QB...Sacks are one thing, but he gets in the QB's face constantly and is good VS the run.....

RIVERS.......Was on pace for a ridiculous season, and even after he cooled, he is still all over the STATS......No one has done more offensively for their team then Rivers.......

SUH Outside of his dumb late hits and unsportsmanlike calls.....he is a man.......the best DT in the game.....(well close to the best already) he is what Fat Al is when Fat Al puts in a full effort...and Suh gives it all the time.

Bradford WOW......the hapless Rams with a shot at the playoffs...albeit a 7-9 record could and prolly will win the West, but still.....This kid can play. Accurate as Aikman was and a gamer...... its extremely hard to make it as a rookie QB as we have seen.....well a few do very well, but i haven't seen a rookie QB this good in a while. The real deal. Rams are set.......

Lloyd Holy cow....who is this man? I mean he was a good WR before going to Washington, but not like this......he always had good hands, but now he is flat out ballin. and he was DONE......after his Skins and Bears stints. (i dont think Vick Qualifies for this)........

Haley I think this man has done an outstanding job in running K.C.......I knew they would be better, but not this good. and on both sides of the ball.........Great leader, and good X's and O's guy too.

VICK over Brady for me......Pats would be the same without Brady....Eagles would be 5-11 without Vick, maybe 6-10........

Dude, sometimes you don't make any sense at all. The Pats would be the same without Brady? Ok, that might just be the dumbest comment I've read all year. And that's saying something. Do you even know who the backup is for NE? And you do realize that the Eagles have Kevin Kolb as Vick's backup, right?

Dude, sometimes you don't make any sense at all. The Pats would be the same without Brady? Ok, that might just be the dumbest comment I've read all year. And that's saying something. Do you even know who the backup is for NE? And you do realize that the Eagles have Kevin Kolb as Vick's backup, right?

Kolb showed what garbage he is.......that teams success is completely in line with what Vick has done.

BB is the greatest coach we have seen in YEARS and his team would be just fine without Brady.....Brady is a beast, we all get that...But this team is built for success and maybe they would not be 12-2......but they would at least be 10-4..........

Kolb showed what garbage he is.......

Respectfully, I disagree. You take away Brady, the Pats are about a 9-7 team at best. Yes they are well coached, have a great system in place, etc, but Brady makes them great. He is easily one of the top 2 in the league at his position right now and would make any team instantly better.

Kolb showed what garbage he is.......that teams success is completely in line with what Vick has done.

BB is the greatest coach we have seen in YEARS and his team would be just fine without Brady.....Brady is a beast, we all get that...But this team is built for success and maybe they would not be 12-2......but they would at least be 10-4..........

How has Kolb shown that he's garbage? Yet another statement that doesn't make sense. The Eagles were 11-5 last year, dude. And that's with McNabb, who was basically playing with the same players that Vick is now. Granted, Vick has been great this year. But the Eagles have so much talent at the skill positions that a LOT of QBs would be successful there. In New England, they have BRIAN HOYER as Brady's back up. Yeah, based on your posting history, you probably don't know a thing about the guy. And that's entirely my point. The Patriots likely wouldn't even be a playoff team this year if Brady wasn't in there. The Eagles would at least be in the hunt, if Kolb were the QB. You're nuts if you really think the Patriots, with Hoyer at QB, would be 10-4 right now. Especially with that defense. Please, use some logic.

MVP: Brady

- Ugh this is a TOUGH one. I initially typed in Vick but Brady's number's are so sick. The question for me is, if you took the player off the team, who's departure would be most felt? Vick is a STRONG candidate because watching Philly earlier this year when Kolb was still the starter, I honestly believed that they were a 5-win team. They looked horrible. Vick comes in and does his thing. But Brady gets the nod. He's so sick and he's working with nothing there. His best receiver was traded mid-season. Imagine Brady with Deseana and Maclin? Sick. 30 TD's and only 4 INT's is ridiculous. Brady this year has made me rethink my firmly held belief that Manning was the clearly superior QB. Thus I'm going with Brady.

DPOY: Matthews

- Mathews is legit. Harrison is a close second but I think Harrison really benefits from the scheme. Plus they're never going to give it tohim after all his fines and "dirty" hits.

OPOY: Brady

DROY: Suh

- Not even close. I've stated a few times on here that following the Lions is like a side hobby of mine. I don't root for them. I just follow them. I think it's because I feel sorry for them (and because I'm gay for Megatron.) Suh is the real deal. He's already a top 5 DT. In 3 years, tops, he'll be in the discussion for best defensive player in the league. Guarantee it. The guy is LEGIT.

OROY Bradford

- Don't see how you could even argue for anyone else. The Rams were PUTRID last year and he's got in them in the hunt for a division title. Albeit it/s the worst division in professional sports, but still. That makes their one win season last year that much more bad.

CBPOY: Mike Williams - WR - Seattle

- It's a sham that he's not on the ballot. A travesty of all things just in the world. Dude was the definition of a bust, Out of the league for a couple of years. Almost 300 pounds. Begs his college coach for a tryout in a desperate attempt to make something with his life. He has 60 catches for 720 yards and that's after missing three games. He's also the first Seattle receiver (which includes Steve Largent) to have three games of 10+ catches in a season. PUT HIM ON THE BALLOT!!!

COY:Andy Reid

- Hate to do it but he's deserving. Trades their long time, perennial Pro-Bowl, Eagle-legend QB and they get better. Not a little better but serious run at the Super Bowl better. Also turned Vick into the QB people dreamt he could be...10 years ago.

MVP: Michael Vick--I take Vick because the Patriots are still a playoff team without Brady (but certainly not as good), but Vick took a team expected by most to finish last in the NFCE and made it a playoff team. Brady is a close second.

DPOY: Clay Matthews--I could have put Urlacher, Polamalu, Harrison...lots of choices here.

OPOY: Tom Brady--he's been doing it all year, can't argue that. Best QB in the game. Vick is a close second for the award.

DROY: Ndamakong Suh. No brainer to me.

OROY: Sam Bradford. It's hard to be a rookie QB, and he passed the test.

CBPOY: Hmm, Cassel, Vick, Lloyd? Can't decide. Isn't there someone who missed last year with a bad injury but has done well this year? How about Mike WIlliams?

COY: Todd Haley. Who expected the Chiefs to compete for the division? Andy Reid is a close second. He made the tough moves, and kept a team starting two 7rd round draft picks on defense in first place.

MVP: Peyton Manning: I know he doesn't have the numbers of the other candidates but seriously, where would the Colts be without him?

DPOY: Derrick Johnson - is a leader in tacklers, leader of the Chiefs defense. I think much of their defensive improvement lies with DJ.

OPOY: Tom Brady - no explanation necessary.

DROY: Suh - he may be the defensive player of the year in the future

OROY Sam Bradford - I think Bryant would have won this had he not gotten hurt. But QB is a hard position to come in to right away and be relative.

CBPOY: Matt Cassel - I think he did well with what he has. He doesn't have gamebreakers everywhere. I'm impressed with what he did with what he had.

COY: Mike Smith - I don't look at the Falcons and see an overly talented football team. But they do the things well that the coaches are supposed to coach them up on. I think a lot of their success should be credited to their coaches and it starts with Smith.

Peyton Manning for MVP? lmao...I stopped reading after that.

And for those of you that keep saying the Patriots would be a playoff team without Brady. Please pass me what you're smoking. Again, the backup is BRIAN HOYER. Matt Cassel isn't there anymore, guys.

And to those that keep saying Kolb looked horrible when he was in there, and are a 5-win team without Vick. Yeah, he looked pretty average in relief of Vick in that first Redskins game. But that was his first extended action of the season. The game he started vs the Niners, in San Francisco, he looked pretty damn good. The Eagles, with all that talent at the skill positions, would likely be a .500 team with Kolb this year. The Patriots wouldn't be anywhere close to a playoff team without Brady.

And for those of you that keep saying the Patriots would be a playoff team without Brady. Please pass me what you're smoking. Again, the backup is BRIAN HOYER. Matt Cassel isn't there anymore, guys.

And to those that keep saying Kolb looked horrible when he was in there, and are a 5-win team without Vick. Yeah, he looked pretty average in relief of Vick in that first Redskins game. But that was his first extended action of the season. The game he started vs the Niners, in San Francisco, he looked pretty damn good. The Eagles, with all that talent at the skill positions, would likely be a .500 team with Kolb this year. The Patriots wouldn't be anywhere close to a playoff team without Brady.

The Kevin Kolb lead Eagles also beat the supposedly best team in the NFC in the Falcons. With Kevin Kolb I think the eagles are at worst a 6 win team, and at best an 11 win team. Either way the Eagles can win with Kevin Kolb leading the team. Hoyer is not leading the Patriots to a winning record let alone the division title and #1 seed.

I completely disagree with you on Peyton though. He has guys in his offense that have little knowledge of their responsibilties, his run game is pathetic, and his offensive line has not been up to snuff for most of the season. The team runs through him and they can't lean on anything else. Vick, Brady, Brees, Rivers, all have at least a run game, defense, or special teams that can help out. Peyton had a bad stretch of games, that also coincided with Donald Brown being his feature back (who finally had a good game).

Really? What Manning has done with what he has had to work with is nothing short of amazing. The Colts would be fighting for the number one pick in the draft instead of a division title without him. When you are throwing to a TE named Tamme and making it work, I don't know how you couldn't be mentioned as an MVP candidate.

MVP isn't just the player who has the best stats. It is the person who has meant the most to his team. If that doesn't fit Manning, I don't know what does. It is easy to pick the guys who have tremendous numbers. Vick would be an easy pick but when you the weapons he has to work with, I could be an MVP candidate <please sense the sarcasm going that far>.

Rivers is another guy I considered because of the same reasons I picked Manning. But the Colts win 3 games, maybe without him.

Archived