Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can Anyone Justify Starting Mcnabb?

Chiefinonhaze

I listen to a lot of Redskin's media talk. Everything I hear is bashing Shanahan on his decision to go with Grossman. Well, why not? The first argument I hear is that "Grossman just sucks, if it was Sam Bradford coming in I would be all for it." Although Grossman has been Cutleresque in his interception proficiency, I still believe he can run this offense well. He is better at intermediate to deep throws than he gets credit for. And this is the strength of Shanahan's offense. Bootlegs leading to long throws are Grossman's best throws.

In the preseason this year Grossman had a passer rating of 90. His completion percentage was 60. I know, its "just the preaseason," but if we had even an 85 passer rating this year out of Mcnabb this season we would have a winning record. As many turnovers as our defense has produced, even a few extra accurate throws would put us in field goal range or within the 10 yard line. Mcnabb throws WAY too many innacurate throws.

My only request is that somebody on this message board justify the notion to keep Mcnabb as the starting QB. A lot of people (especially the media) say that we should continue to play Mcnabb to increase his trade value. Is his actual play on the field "increasing" his trade value? Of course not. Anyone who believes this is delusional. Mcnabb is hurting his own value with every throw he throws into the dirt.

Personally, I love this new mentality of the Redskins. We shouldn't care if our Franchise QB is getting 70 Mill in 5 years, because if he doesn't play well he will be benched. This is what we have been lacking for such a long time, because guys like Haynseworth can't use their wallets as leverage. This attitude will eventually make us a respectable franchise.

Edit: I should also add, Mcnibble had a passer rating of about 70 in the preaseason. I know, " it's just the preseason!". It seems as if his preseason passer rating has carried over to the regular season. Grossman will be much more effiecient in this offense, hitting the necessary checkdowns at the correct times. He will throw his share of picks, but I see his play at QB being an upgrade to the play we've seen from Mcnabb. Oh yeah he's still an Eagle to me. And Eagles get no respect.

I agree with the OP...Just to add to his post people on here like to play the tough GM role and say so and so needs to be benched/cut, or if I was the GM I'd do such and such...Well Shanahan is doing that, he is changing the aura around this team right infront of our eyes...He is changing it to a play for pay attitude instead of a pay for play attitude...yet people complain...The players on this team since Snyder has been the owner have been treated by every regime but Marty's as if they had won something, they were given input into personnel moves, got other players benched, decided when they would practice or play, and just out and out spoiled...A great Coach once said "If my players want to have input on what goes on...WIN...If they dont win, I don't give a damn what they think"...Shanahan is bringing that mentality, this team and it's pampered stars that have won nothing are getting the wake-up call they ALL need...If you don't perform you WILL NOT play, no matter your name, past accomplishments, or the amount of money you make...

By benching mcnabb we killed any chance we had at getting draft picks for him this offseason. If your decision is to part ways with mcnabb then that's fine. I trust his call there, but at least try to get some value for him. Grossman is not the future of our franchise. Doesn't make sense to play him when that decision will cost us draft picks.

I agree with the OP...Just to add to his post people on here like to play the tough GM role and say so and so needs to be benched/cut, or if I was the GM I'd do such and such...Well Shanahan is doing that, he is changing the aura around this team right infront of our eyes...He is changing it to a play for pay attitude instead of a pay for play attitude...yet people complain...The players on this team since Snyder has been the owner have been treated by every regime but Marty's as if they had won something, they were given input into personnel moves, got other players benched, decided when they would practice or play, and just out and out spoiled...A great Coach once said "If my players want to have input on what goes on...WIN...If they dont win, I don't give a damn what they think"...Shanahan is bringing that mentality, this team and it's pampered stars that have won nothing are getting the wake-up call they ALL need...If you don't perform you WILL NOT play, no matter your name, past accomplishments, or the amount of money you make...

Exactly! I actually saw a quote from London Fletcher, and it sorta disappointed me to read it from him, he said something along the lines of, "I've never seen a QB of his stature go through this". But it read sorta critical, and what he said has been the kind of mentality has been endemic on this team for far too long, and it's bled not only into players, but the fans and media as well.

People were pissed because Haynesworth wasn't playing because he's getting paid so much, "The guy gets paid 100 mil to make plays for you, just because he missed practice he needs to be on the field earning his money! This is what's wrong with the Skins under Dan Snyder." But when he skipped practice Christmas day and tried to get other players to join him and still started everyone said, "The guy gets paid 100 mil and can't show up to practice, but he still plays? This is what's wrong with the Skins under Dan Snyder. No one is held accountable anymore."

I've been pleased with how Shanahan has taken a no-nonsense approach, and hasn't apologized for anything he's done or buckled to media/fan pressure.

By benching mcnabb we killed any chance we had at getting draft picks for him this offseason. If your decision is to part ways with mcnabb then that's fine. I trust his call there, but at least try to get some value for him. Grossman is not the future of our franchise. Doesn't make sense to play him when that decision will cost us draft picks.

That's not for sure though you still can trade McNabb for picks because you're going to have teams like Arizona and Minnesota who need to win now with the talent they have and they'll make that move for the guy to put them over the top at the QB position. Minnesota is the more likely to do so because they have a team of guys who are in their prime and they need to win now before that window shuts on them

Grossman is not the future of our franchise.

Maybe he is, and maybe he isn't. Nobody seems to be willing to give him a chance. This is a different team, different coach, and different scheme.

Redskins fans above all others should know that just because a guy tanks in his first stint, that doesn't mean he will always play poorly anywhere he goes.

See

Stan Humphries

Gus Frerote

Trent Green

Brad Johnson

just to name a few. If Grossman goes in and performs well, I will be really interested to see how Redskins Nation reacts. They could be singing a very different tune on Monday compared to today.

So McNabb's poor play hasn't negatively affected his trade value?

I'm getting t0 the p0int where I alm0st want t0 r0ute against this team, just because 0f the fans. It's a shame.

This really isn't a big deal and I w0uld n0t be surprised at all t0 see D Mac back d0ing great next year.

It's the p0st preseas0n. Let him relax, we d0n't need a QB 0f his ability right n0w, we need t0 check the r0ster 0ne final time.

The m0st c0nfusing part t0 me? It may actually get us wins and I d0n't kn0w if I've ever n0t wanted that until right n0w.

Alth0ugh, I will say, I want t0 beat the l0lb0ys.

I'm getting t0 the p0int where I alm0st want t0 r0ute against this team, just because 0f the fans. It's a shame.

This really isn't a big deal and I w0uld n0t be surprised at all t0 see D Mac back d0ing great next year.

It's the p0st preseas0n. Let him relax, we d0n't need a QB 0f his ability right n0w, we need t0 check the r0ster 0ne final time.

The m0st c0nfusing part t0 me? It may actually get us wins and I d0n't kn0w if I've ever n0t wanted that until right n0w.

Alth0ugh, I will say, I want t0 beat the l0lb0ys.

You know for that o problem you should just copy o from a website or mispell a word with o in it and then after it auto corrects copy it then u can just press apple v or control v everytime u wanna use o

Allow this to marinate:

Mcnabb's bad 2010 season in which he is getting benched for is better than Grossman's best season.

The are making McNabb the fall guy for the poor excuse of offense that we have witnessed under Kyle. Give us an offensive line so our best pass catcher doesn't have to stay in and block. I think you have to be given a fair shot before it can be said that you failed. McNabb was clearly not.

But I digress. Hail to the Washington Shanigans.

Starting McNabb the last 3 games or starting McNabb next year?

Well the reasons are simple.

McNabb did not suddenly have the worst year of his career out of the blue.

Imo we are not a good team this year through judging by personnel or through scheme.

And the starting of Grossman over Beck proves this situation isn't about the evaluation of QB)personnel.

Because if that was the case why not evaluate Beck he's the unknown quantity at QB.

Starting Grossman imo is a validation wether Kyle's scheme works which would actually validate his inability or unwillingless to adapt his scheme.

Look.

We all know McNabb has flaws.

He had those same flaws in Philly and was able to play at a near HOF level.

Good coaches use play design and gameplanning to tailor their offense to their QB.

And they chose McNabb.

Anyway the reason to keep McNabb would be:

1) McNabb is the best QB we have and he in fact gives us the best chance to win.

If/when there is more talent put around McNabb this team with him at the helm can be competitive.

2) In the event that we are unable to build a good team around McNabb within the next 2-3 years then he could serve as bridge between the Redskins of now and our QB of the future.

Allow this to marinate:

Mcnabb's bad 2010 season in which he is getting benched for is better than Grossman's best season.

The are making McNabb the fall guy for the poor excuse of offense that we have witnessed under Kyle. Give us an offensive line so our best pass catcher doesn't have to stay in and block. I think you have to be given a fair shot before it can be said that you failed. McNabb was clearly not.

But I digress. Hail to the Washington Shanigans.

I'm not a fan of the decision as I don't think Grossman is the answer, there is enough film of him and his career to know that without seeing him play the last three games. You could make morenof a case for starting Beck but I don't see him as a answer either.

McNabb is our best QB and should start for me.

However he has had a fair shot. Cooley is the top 5 in the league for receptions by a TE so he has not been blocking all the time. McNabb has just played poorly and by all accounts struggled to pick up the offense. I would still have brought him back next year as I don't think we can get Luck this year and there is no one else in the draft at QB I think is worth a high first. Rebuild the O'line, get a number one receiver and address the defense and then find your QB in 2012.

From what I've seen, this should have happened weeks ago! I'm not saying we are better with Rex, but McNabb's showing has been awful. He's had at least 8 INT's dropped during this time. How many underthrown deep balls has AA had to wait for? How many overthrown check down balls have there been? The Shanahan's watch the films and have obviously seen enough. Man-I watch my DVR and have seen enough!

That being said, we can't go into next year thinking Rex is our starter! We need a twenty-something taking the helm.

We can never really know why McNabb was benched. If it is based on what happened on field then the answer is no. McNabb is getting killed on too many pass plays. You cannot blame the man for a poor o-line. When he does get time some of his passes are poor, BUT they always have been. Logically, it suggests it must be additional things behind the scenes. However logic does not play to much part in decisions at Redskins HQ! I just hope this decision along with the AH decision is a realisation that the Skins are in bad shape and they need to start again.

Starting McNabb the last 3 games or starting McNabb next year?

Well the reasons are simple.

McNabb did not suddenly have the worst year of his career out of the blue.

Imo we are not a good team this year through judging by personnel or through scheme.

And the starting of Grossman over Beck proves this situation isn't about the evaluation of QB)personnel.

Because if that was the case why not evaluate Beck he's the unknown quantity at QB.

Starting Grossman imo is a validation wether Kyle's scheme works which would actually validate his inability or unwillingless to adapt his scheme.

Look.

We all know McNabb has flaws.

He had those same flaws in Philly and was able to play at a near HOF level.

Good coaches use play design and gameplanning to tailor their offense to their QB.

And they chose McNabb.

Anyway the reason to keep McNabb would be:

1) McNabb is the best QB we have and he in fact gives us the best chance to win.

If/when there is more talent put around McNabb this team with him at the helm can be competitive.

2) In the event that we are unable to build a good team around McNabb within the next 2-3 years then he could serve as bridge between the Redskins of now and our QB of the future.

The OP made some good points, but I agree with this^^^ much more.

So, I have a question. When the Skins are down 21-0 at half-time with Rex throwing a pickle or two what do you do? Stick with Rex or insert McNabb?

Archived