Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why do you blame Shanahan? If we give him time, he will turn this franchise around!

redskins4ever28

I see so many people blaming Mike Shanahan for the problems with this team, and it absolutely amazes me. Look what this guy inherited, 2 years of Jim Zorn and Vinny C making some of the worst personnel moves in the history of football and an organization that is the oldest team in the league. The BIGGEST mistake Snyder could do now is put Shanny on the hot seat, even if next year doesnt turn out good, we need to keep him and let him rebuild this franchise. Yes, he won his Super Bowls with Elway, but he also had very successful runs with Plummer and Cutler. Not to mention, this is the man who made every running back he had look like Adrian Peterson. What really bites is the fact that we after we brought in Shanny and Mcnabb, everyone was thinking this was going to be a quick fix turnaround.

Thats not how it works. I think Shanny bringing Mcnabb aboard was to make us a little more competetive until he can get the players together for an all around team. Its also possible they signed Mcnabb to a big deal so that way instead of releasing him at the end of the year, they can trade him. The thing is, instead of everyone coming out with their pitchforks and torches ready to burn down the coaches, just this ONE time give it a couple of years!

The BIGGEST and WORST problem this organization has had for the past decade and a half is that they hire and fire coaches and coordinators like its going out of style, and we always blame the owner and managment because of it, but now I see fans saying to do the same thing! Why would we want to go back to that?! It doesnt work well that way obviously! Let Shanahan do what he does and I promise you within the next 2-3 years we will be a Patriots/Colts caliber team!

There are some problems that do need addressed that I completely agree with. First of all, we definitly should go back to the 4-3, unless we plan on spending our draft picks on defense. Haslett is a good D Coord, but he just made the wrong assumption trying to put the team in the 3-4 after being in the 4-3 for so many years together.

As for our offense, well, I think we all know its not just Mcnabb thats the problem. We definitly need a better line and a better receiving corp. I would love to get a young QB in the draft, if we could get Luck or Locker, or even Mallett, I think wed be set. But most likely we're going to gun for Oline and WR in the draft this year, and thats fine by me, but whatever we do, let Shanny run the team, he will take us to the promise land if we give him time.

Ive been a redskin fan since I was 5(born in 1984) I have watched every game religiously, and no matter what the record is, I am still die hard, whether their 1-15 or 14-2 (even got a tattoo on my arm) and I TRULY believe this is our best shot to get back to a contender since the Gibbs years of the early 90's late 80's. Granted Gibbs did some miracle work with the team he had a few years ago, but Im telling you this is the right track, dont blame Shanny.

Because he has made horrible personnel decisions which got him fired in denver and he is doin the same thing here. He makes decisions with his ego and those decisions don't help the team win on gameday.

If we had a legit gm and shanny was just the coach i would have more faith...but having the tyrant with the napoleon complex as coach and gm doesn't give me much hope. It seems like he is more worried about satisfying his ego than winning games.

---------- Post added December-6th-2010 at 03:12 PM ----------

Because he has made horrible personnel decisions which got him fired in denver and he is doin the same thing here. He makes decisions with his ego and those decisions don't help the team win on gameday.

If we had a legit gm and shanny was just the coach i would have more faith...but having the tyrant with the napoleon complex as coach and gm doesn't give me much hope. It seems like he is more worried about satisfying his ego than winning games.

By the way I'm a 80's baby too 84 the best year ever

Most of the people on this board are not patient enough for a rebuilding type of system. They want to win now or else. Almost every post on here is a fire this guy or bench that guy, or something to that nature.

This team is decimated with injuries, players past their prime, and kids off the practice squad who would not even be starting/playing any where else. No, it is an all out win now or else attitude, and it is really frustrating.

I admit that the thought of rebuilding from the ground up is heart wrenching. And it is not even a guarantee that building from the draft will do anything at all, case in point, the Lions. They have had top draft picks for years, and still find ways to loose (except to the Redskins of course). Now, they are a good team that are just a play away from winning, A LOT, but they still loose consistently. This team could get a lot better by working the FA side, trading some talent from this team for extra draft picks (we only have 6, but most probably 7, as of now) and starting the rebuilding process.

It will take a min of 3 years, but most probably 5 years to get this ship rebuilt. I am willing to wait but I must see progress, and by progress I do not mean this season (that ship has sailed). Give Shanahan and Alan some time to work and try to get the players this team needs. If we are lucky, the lockout will occur next year, this can only benefit the Redskins in the long run.

I am willing to give Mike Shanahan 5 years (4 more years). I don't care if we win 3 games next year. I don't care if we win 2 games next year. At some point we have to allow one coach and one GM to build a team. Even if it does not work, I want (and we need) some sort of stability.

There are many reasons we are currently in the mess we find ourselves. One of the biggest reasons is that we lack any sort of identity. We are just a group of players collected over the past 5-6 years, thrown together by multiple people, multiple coaches with no single long-term plan. The Redskins are a random collection of players, not a TEAM.

It is a never ending vicious cycle. Coach comes in, makes handful of moves, is fired. Coach comes in makes handful of moves, is fired. No one in the world in going to come in and fix this mess in one season. Hell, even 2 seasons is not enough.

Mike Shanahan has begun to clean house and mold a team in his vision with players he likes. For once in the past decade I want to allow a coach to finish that process.

I don't blame him totally. I was hoping to see areas of improvement. I've seen none. That is the only thing I blame him for. But I don't want him fired. We need continuity and I believe he has to be the right man for the job. I know it takes time. But I need to see improvement beyond wins and losses. (Better blocking, running, tackling, effort.)

I agree with everything you said except the lockout. I dont know what I would do without football for a year, Id go nuts. Speaking of which I still cant fathom the possibility that all these people letting the lockout happen. But anyways, with regards to your post: I couldnt agree more, we need to shop the free agency market, getting Vincent Jackson out of FA or even a Sidney Rice would be huge. Theres also a couple linemen who are noteworthy free agents this year also. I would love to see us snag Luck in the draft, I think hes the next Rodgers. It would seriously be the best move ever, but Im pretty sure one of the teams worse than us will get him, IE:Cardinals, Bills(Although Fitz looks promising). But who knows, maybe we trade Mcnabb and our draft pick for their draft pick. Anythings possible. If Cards/Bills get 1,2 and we get 10: We trade either Mcnabb and 10 pick for their 1 or 2 pick, maybe throw in a 4th rd pick in there to or something. I hate giving up draft picks, but for a guy like Luck, its worth it. He's a once in a lifetime quarterback.

There are many reasons we are currently in the mess we find ourselves. One of the biggest reasons is that we lack any sort of identity. We are just a group of players collected over the past 5-6 years, thrown together by multiple people, multiple coaches with no single long-term plan. The Redskins are a random collection of players, not a TEAM.

There's really only two reasons: Snyder and Cerrato.

Shannahan will get three years, regardless of what happens on the field. Unless we (the fans and the media) drive him out of town early, I expect him to right the ship. If he didn't before (and I believe that he did....) he now realizes that this team simply has not talent, and worse, has certain individuals with toxic attitude issues. Now that he's taken a shot at working with what he was given (while getting rid of quite a few last offseason), he'll be more inclined to accelerate the purge.

Dan hired him, so we have to stick with him and see what happens. Dan was so focused on Shanny, there was no other candidate. He got spooked by the failed 2008 search that led us to hire Zorn. He should've interviewed several candidates and then make a choice.

I think Gruden would've been nice pick instead of Shanny.

We just have to hope Shanny can do it.

Archived