Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is luck the only reason we won 5 games this far?

RedskinsSerbia

Or: Are the Redskins one of the worst teams in the NFL, that just won 5 games cause they are lucky?

Let's take a look at all the Redskins wins this season, so far:

Win #1 (week 1) Win against Cowboys. No points from the offense, 2 FGs and one fumble return for a TD. Winning TD concieded in last seconds declined after holding on Orakpo. Yes, it was against Cowboys that are our biggest rivals, but they pretty much suck this season. Luck or Gameplan?

Win #2 (week 4) Win at Philly. Michael Vick injured early in the game (luck?) Only 17 points scored, and still, we somehow managed to get a win. Luck or Gameplan?

Win #3 (week 5) Win against Green Bay. Offense again couldn't do anything untill McNabb's bomb to Armstrong in the 4th quarter. Gano misses one FG to tie a game, but still gets to kick another one and tie it. (luck?) Crosby misses a last second FG attempt to win a game, hit's a bar (luck?). Win in OT, Gano wins us a game (luck). Again, poor performance by the offense for the most of the game, and a couple of GB injuries (Finley etc.) (luck?)

Win #4 (week 7) Win at Chicago. Poor performance by the offense (6 fumbles, 2 INTs). Cutler throws 4 INTs to Hall (luck?). Win with only 17 points scored (luck?)

Week #5 (week 11) Win at Tennessee. Young is out, our offense scores only 19 points, but we somehow got the win (luck?)

Other than that, we were crushed by the Eagles, beated by an average team like Minesota, lost a already won game against Texands, lost against St. Louis and crushed by Detroit who scored 37 points on us. Game against Indy was already lost before it even started.

So, the question is, is luck the only reason why this team is in a playoff race (we all know we are not going there), even that we were demoralized by Eagles and Detroit and there are many people here that are talking that this team is the worst team in a league?

We suck, and that is one thing that i am 100% sure after watching games like those we played against Rams, Eagles, Lions and now Giants. Even after that, we somehow managed to win 5 games and not be in a very bottom of the league.

As much as I would love to disagree, I'd look foolish if I did. We are probably one of the worse teams I can remember. Some others may remember worse teams than I can, but I honestly can't remember watching the Redskins play this bad. Our wins should be chalked up in the L column as well (at least most of em)

Yes and No. We have a team that has talent, but not alot of it. We can catch teams off guard, especially if they are taking us lightly. Or maybe its the change in staff. Remeber Zorn's 1st season. We got off to a great start before people figured out what his scheme was. We have a core of players that can get the job done. Now we need the supporting cast to go along with it, while our core is still strong. That's the job of scouting and the draft. That is where this problem gets fixed.

There is no such thing as "luck" as far as I'm concerned. One can put themselves in position to have good fortune come their way, but must do something to actually take advantage of it. Losers will fail to do that more often than not whereas winners will often seize those opportunities.

So to say the Redskins are "lucky" to have won 5 games this year is crap. The Redskins are simply just good enough to take advantage those opportunities that translate to only 5 wins. If they were a better team, their record would be better as well.

the redskins are so lucky to win 5 games. i knew the defense would suck on the first drive of their first pre season game. gashed against the run with the 1st teamers in. the redskins never got turn overs in the past but were stout against the run for the last 8 years

If by "lucky" you mean that the Skins could have zero in the win column but for one play in most of the five games? Then, yes the Skins have been lucky. There's no question that the Skins are a bad team. They are their record and right now I have a hard time seeing them improving to more than 6 wins.

Skins have minimal talent. Yes, Orakpo is nice but the Giants have 3-4 guys just like him. If Shanahan stays in control of the team AND the Skins have good drafts then we are still looking at 3 years to become competitive. It's that bad.

Week 1, a penalty won us the game. Holding is uncalled many, many times a game...refs bailed us out.

Week 4, you can't gameplan injuries, and if Vick didn't get injured we would've got rocked.

The other three I feel are legitimate. But still, this is a poor team. Shanahan and Allen grossly erred on the evaluation of this team, filling a previously 4-12 team with aging vets. They showed their hand with the acquisition of McNabb. Nothing has changed in a decade. Maybe, just maybe, this franchise will honestly rebuild with youth.

I've been thinking this same thought for a long time. This team definitely has had luck on their side in all of their wins. They don't have the talent to win a game on their own. It is amazing that they have won the games at all. However, it's going to feel really crappy when the playoffs start and looking at the teams the Skins beat and amazingly the Skins are not going to be there competing against them.

we're lucky to have the record we do. We cant run the ball, our QB's performance is spotty at best (and our backup is LOL awful) and our interior line still needs to be replaced. On defense, our NT gets blown off the ball all day long, our LB's are decent, but showing age in Fletcher and our secondary is depleted by injury and truthfully was only average at best anyway. The best part of our team is the return game. I was about to say special teams, but our kicker stinks as well. Yeah, we're lucky to have won 5 games. The best we can hope for now is another high number draft pick that we can trade down for more picks.

Yea, we're basically just a few lucky plays better this year, than we were last.. Weve still not out-played a single team this year.. We're hurtin, bad, and as other teams are getting better as the season goes, it's spotlighting just how bad our squad actually is.. From the owner to coaches to gameplan to players, were not very good.. Sadly..

what is happening now is that Washington is NOT getting any turnovers.

that is why the team is 1-3 in the second half.

remember, Washington tied for first in the NFL in turnover differential in the initial 8 games. that's what contributed to wins vs. Green Bay, Philly and Chicago.

those were going to even out over the course of a 16 game season and now we are seeing the results.

this is now just the 32nd ranked defense without turnovers = UGLY.

Archived