Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Texas jury convicts DeLay on money-laundering charges

Hunter44

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/11/24/us.delay.verdict/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

(CNN) -- A Texas jury on Wednesday convicted former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay on charges of illegally funneling corporate money to help elect GOP candidates to the Texas legislature.

DeLay was found guilty on charges of money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering, said jury bailiff Gilbert Soto.

DeLay was charged with illegally funneling $190,000 in corporate money to help elect Republicans to the state House and Senate in 2002. At the outset of the trial, he predicted the jury would clear him

I'm sure they'll be an appeal.

Surprised.

I would have expected that there'd be at least one person on the jury who would find some political excuse not to convict. "It's a liberal conspiracy" or "The Democrats do it too" or some such.

I would have laid long odds that any group of 12 people would have at least one person who would refuse to convict a Republican, no matter the evidence, of anything. (Unless he were gay or something.)

(And the same statement would apply to a Democrat.)

----------

Seriously. The odds of a group of 12 people not having one partisan loon on it? In Texas?

Also amazed that they were able to convict him, personally.

I thought that's what they had staff for.

But I thought the charges were all just trumped up by the liberals to ruin him?! lol "The Hammer" has fallen.

Actually, on that subject, I'm wondering why The Liberal Media hasn't been making this their lead story every night for the last year or two, like they did with Clinton.

:halo:

----------

And on a third subject:

Every time I see a story like this. Disgraced Congressman convicted of taking money.

The thing that strikes me most, from the story? Is how small the amount of money is.

I see stories along the lines of "Congressman Lardbutt was convicted of steering $7T to MegaCorp, after receiving a $1500 TV set for his living room."

You know that this guy has to have been handling thousands of times that much money. And the stories that involve government contracts? The amount of the bribe is one percent of one percent of the contract.

It makes me sad that our Congress is not only for sale, but that it's for sale for so cheap.

And on a third subject:

Every time I see a story like this. Disgraced Congressman convicted of taking money.

The thing that strikes me most, from the story? Is how small the amount of money is.

I see stories along the lines of "Congressman Lardbutt was convicted of steering $7T to MegaCorp, after receiving a $1500 TV set for his living room."

You know that this guy has to have been handling thousands of times that much money. And the stories that involve government contracts? The amount of the bribe is one percent of one percent of the contract.

It makes me sad that our Congress is not only for sale, but that it's for sale for so cheap.

I hardly think this was the only crroked thing that DeLay did. This was the only crooked thing that they caught him for. The guy was legendary for being a sleaze.

(I feel the same way about Charlie Rangle, Ted Stevens, Aclee Hastings and plenty of others).

I hardly think this was the only crroked thing that DeLay did. This was the only crooked thing that they caught him for. The guy was legendary for being a sleaze.

I suspect you're right.

But I always hate to hear that reasoning. "Well, maybe he didn't do this, but I bet he did a lot worse, and got away with it."

(Yeah, I do live in a fantasy world.)

Archived