Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time For Shanahan To Make Things Easy On Himself

bulldog

Is it that difficult to do the following as a start to bringing this train back on the tracks?

1.Re-configure the defense to play the 4-3 and forget about having the Ravens or Steelers style when you don't have the talent to run the 3-4. Return Haynesworth to DT, Andre Carter to DE and get Kemoeatu/Bryant off the field as part of the failed experiment.

2. Modify the offense for a classic WCO attack featuring shorter drops, quicker exchanges and an emphasis on making the passing game an extension of the run to cut down on all the negative yardage plays, penalties and sacks. This line cannot support a scheme that involves regular 5 and 7 step drops.

3.Let's begin to look to the future and promote some younger, healthier players such as Terrence Austin and James Davis to the roster and deactivate Galloway and keep Portis on the shelf until he is close to 100 percent.This includes subbing Darrel Young for Mike Sellers who at 35 is more past than future.

4. Can we have the corners play up and be more physical? Not engaging at the line and playing ten yards off is not working. We are 32nd in defense and just gave up 59 points, how could things get any worse?

5. In conjuction with #2 let's see some slants and crosses. Let's see some TE drags in the middle of the field. The key to converting more third downs is to be in better shape than we have been after all those first down incompletions on long passes to the outside.

I don't care what offense or defense you run in 2011, just make sure at least some of the talent is in place to make it a go before we get to September.

I don't know about anyone else but getting embarrassed on national tv is beginning to feel like a habit around here and one like smoking that we need to kick.

Is it that difficult to do the following as a start to bringing this train back on the tracks?

1.Re-configure the defense to play the 4-3 and forget about having the Ravens or Steelers style when you don't have the talent to run the 3-4. Return Haynesworth to DT, Andre Carter to DE and get Kemoeatu/Bryant off the field as part of the failed experiment.

Doesn't matter the base defense. The 3-4 defense takes more than a year too learn. I totally understand why the Skins went too it. When they get the players for it, you'll be happy. They have some parts. Give it time. DAMN!!!!!!!

A bunch of blah, blah, blah. I mean, just be patient.

The Giants don't run a 3-4 and have the best front seven in the NFL.

It's not the scheme but the talent.

Yes, IF the Redskins had the talent up front perhaps running a one back offense would still work too :)

But why wish for what we don't have and accept losing/mediocrity as a result?

Why not put the current talent in the best possible position to succeed for 2010 and worry about scheme and personnel when an offseason with 'true' free agency and a full draft is upon us?

I don't see why everything has to be so inflexible with the current coaching staff.

Joe Gibbs junked his entire offense after starting 0-5 in Washington.

And coming from the Coryell system that had been successful for 20 years in the NFL on high profile teams, that was a bigger change for Gibbs than what Kyle Shanahan would have to do.

Shanahan has only been a coordinator for 3 years in ONE system with ONE team.

He evidently doesn't have the depth of experience to know how to treat and deal with NFL players and the human element in the game.

It's all still Xs and Os to him.

Until he realizes he needs to work with human beings his approach will be flawed.

Bulldog: There are 2 things this year that stand out as huge improvements over past years:

1: The deep ball - Light years ahead of anything Campbell could accomplish

2: Defensive turnovers - Light years ahead of anything Blanche or Williams could accomplish

And you want to shelve both of these improvements?!

I think you're knees are jerking...

It's all still Xs and Os

I say that applies to the players as well.

I am maybe one of the few that think our defense is just too old no matter what scheme we run.

I also think our defensive stats over the past few years were highly suspect. Going back isn't a panacea imo.

3.Let's begin to look to the future and promote some younger, healthier players such as Terrence Austin and James Davis to the roster and deactivate Galloway and keep Portis on the shelf until he is close to 100 percent.This includes subbing Darrel Young for Mike Sellers who at 35 is more past than future.

You make some good points but this is the one that I think really needs to be done. Bring in James Davis, Terrence Austin, and Taurus Johnson to replace Galloway and R. Williams. As far as Portis goes, I feel like the options on the roster are as good as he is right now, minus his pass blocking. I think Sellers should stick around for Special Teams duty, he seems to do pretty well out there, but I agree, let Young get the start, gotta move forward sometime and no time like the present.

we shouldnt have tickered with 3-4 to begin with but its too late now. keep it as it is and ride this season out, get some people in free agency and maybe some late draft picks. there are too many needs that we gotta have and not enough time. it will take few years.

Turnovers are fickle. The reality is the Lions scored 37 points on the Redskins and the Eagles just scored 59. The Redskins rank dead last in defense in the NFL.

Even Buffalo has better numbers.

If you look back at your Redskins history the 1983 team was a plus 43 in terms of turnover differential and was playing a 4-3.

The Giants just stopped the most prolific offense in NFL history in the 2008 Super Bowl using a 4-3 defensive scheme.

It's NOT the scheme folks but the talent that ultimately determines how far you go.

Great suggestions.. However I've got to be quite honest. Our defense just looks slow to me. 4-3 ,3-4 it doesnt matter we just arnt an elite team right now. But before the Lions game we were playing together which took us a long way. The biggest thing Shanahan can do is put the team back in the hands of the players and let them get on the same page. He needs to pump the breaks on the control tip, and let the players play. That includes getting rid of players that he has established as his stamps on the team. (Galloway, Litchinwhaterver) and continuing to give others a shot like Banks.

No doubt.

This team needs better athletes.

Better athletes at WR, RB, CB and on the lines.

Team speed is an issue. Strength at the interior spots is an issue. Durability is an issue across the board.

This team needs to get both younger and more athletic to compete with the other teams in the East.

Turnovers are fickle. The reality is the Lions scored 37 points on the Redskins and the Eagles just scored 59. The Redskins rank dead last in defense in the NFL.

If you look back at your Redskins history the 1983 team was a plus 43 in terms of turnover differential and was playing a 4-3.

The Giants just stopped the most prolific offense in NFL history in the 2008 Super Bowl using a 4-3 defensive scheme.

It's NOT the scheme folks but the talent that ultimately determines how far you go.

While I agree that you need the right talent to run the right scheme, the Denver Broncos have one of the best records against BBs Patriots with a 4-3. For some reason, NEs offense struggles against a 4-3. We had a tough time beating Peyton Manning or Phillip Rivers with a 4-3. Those are the three best QBs in the league. I think that whatever you guys transition to, you need to fully make the commitment and get the right personnel in asap to get the experience needed.

Sacrificing the future of your defense now will accomplish what? A couple extra wins this year? What should that matter if it gives you a better chance next year? Were you guys planning on making the playoffs this year?

I've had the exact opposite problem with McDaniels as our coach. He wouldn't fully commit to the transition from the PBS to the ZBS in year one nor did he commit to the change from 4-3 to a 3-4 by acquiring the base personnel for those schemes at the line in year one. What happens? We're in the second year of a rebuild posting a 3-6 record because we now have a young interior with ZBS bookends. He spent numerous resources on DBs and WRs building from the outside in. Look at our stats...

It all starts at the line and right now, you are missing a couple really important pieces, but it's important to make the commitment and stick to it.

While these may be great ideas from a fans perspective, I have to believe that Shanny and Co. are laying the ground work for the future.

As to the 3-4, I did notice that we only ran it about 1/2 the time in last nights game. So I would concur with some other posters, that it is more about having the right personel, then it is about the schemes.

We are just not laden with talent, and till we get some more, we are likely to witness games similar to the Lions and Eagles.

No doubt.

This team needs better athletes.

Team speed is an issue. Strength at the interior spots is an issue. Durability is an issue across the board.

This team needs to get both younger and more athletic to compete with the other teams in the East.

This is of course the core of the problem. The skins are old and tired, and on top of that many of them are playing out of their natural positions.

Doc Walker said on the post game that it was time to go youth as you suggest here. That sounds great, but the problem is the Skins don't really have any decent young talent to go with. This is what happens when you trade away draft pick after draft pick for aging players that usually are gone within a season or 2. What makes it worse is the Skins don't have many picks in next years draft either.

We are now paying the price for a decade of piss poor management. The skins were never a player or 2 away, however they continued to manage that way year in and year out. Meanwhile, teams like the Bucs, Eagles, and Chiefs have turned their rosters over and are winning with young talent.

The Redskins need to start by drafting multiple lineman on both sides of the ball over the next 2 seasons, and then go after a QB, RB, and WRs. There's really no point in spending any resources on any skill players until the lines are rebuilt.

BTW Bulldog, did you notice that they did play some more 4-3 last night with AH at DT and Carter at RDE? They actually got a nice push with that line up, but Vick was just too elusive.

I agree with your sentiments, but I would like to point out that Detroit had a defensive touchdown and kick return for a touchdown to make that game 37..

Geez isn't that kind of a lot to ask?

1.-A complete mid season scheme change seems very unlikely, especially under Shanny. Some coaches may go for it.. Although, I think it could be done with this team, as every one of them is used to the 4-3. It might just work like magic, really.

2.-Last years offense started as the WCO, and got even more close/conservative as the year went on, and the Oline problems were glaring. It didn't help anything. On top of that, these guys have been changing offenses every year for the last few, and I'm sure they're tired of it. I'm actually very comfortable with Kyle/Mike's style, and I'm willing to let it go through the bumps, even for a couple years, as long as it stays the same, and the proper guys are brought in. This offense has shown some good things. The passing game is slightly fun to watch, when last year it was impossible to watch. While I think the defense is going in the wrong direction, the offense is going the right way.

3.-Shanny must have a certain timetable for guys before they're actually promoted or something(except Banks of course). Really, including Banks, they have brought up some guys, sometimes because they have to, but nonetheless a handful of youth is getting some game time this season. I feel like Austin and Davis will make it, it could happen any time really. We've been hating Galloway for a while, but it's becoming obvious to everyone else now, too. He's as close to the door as possible.

4.-Yes. God please yes. Since week 2 vs the Texans. Every time, wide open guys. I really don't understand why this continues. I'm no expert, but it sure SEEMS that simple.

5.I think a slant heavy drive for McNabb has INT written all over it. And I think they do run Cooley across a bit. The rollouts were working great, I don't know where that went. I don't remember him getting chased and brought down out of those once. He gets sacked in the pocket. We didn't even have to sell the play action, we weren't running well. Kinda like Vick sold nothing because it was the first play last night. Plenty of time to wind up and put the deep ball on a dime. Guess who coached him up on that a little bit...Donovan can do that well, hell, he can do that better than friggin Vick.

I think the coaches got a little scared after Oline injuries and 'over planned' each week to compensate. Toned it down a little. I think the option to just let it loose is there, we saw it last night with 2 quick tds and a 3rd shortly after. Philly wasn't playing soft or anything either. They just let his ass loose.

I know one thing, all these dissapointing blowouts or even close looses, would be much easier to take if we werent still trotting out the same old, slow players every dang series.. Coach is all about playing the best talent we have, but unless Joey Galloway is still going to be a starter for us next year, why the heck is he still getting on the field?? Same with half the defense and alot of the offense.. Even if there all not elderly, they're slow as mollassas.. There's maybe 4 or 5 guys one the D that I'd even keep, much less start.. The O has even less.. Lets give the youth a chance, even if they suck we might find a few bright spots that could help when it comes time to make pics, trades, and sign FA's in the offseason.. And in the meantime any progress we make will be a bonus and not have us jumping off cliffs every week as we watch the same ol' players seeming get worse the longer they play together.. Just sayin..

No doubt.

Carlos Rogers is a terrible ball catcher but he's a fairly good athlete, DeAngelo Hall is one of the best athletes in the league, you do know this, right? Anthony Armstrong gets deep because he runs a 4.3.

If we went to the 4-3 like you said, AC and Orakpo and Haynesworth would be among the better athletes for their positions in the league.

Am I wrong here? I agree with your suggestions but I think people get engaged too much in hyperbole when making points. Better athletes on offensive line, for sure, though (interior particularly.)

Bulldog: There are 2 things this year that stand out as huge improvements over past years:

1: The deep ball - Light years ahead of anything Campbell could accomplish

2: Defensive turnovers - Light years ahead of anything Blanche or Williams could accomplish

And you want to shelve both of these improvements?!

I think you're knees are jerking...

You must be joking. seriously, please tell me you are joking. I'll give u half with the offense, but the defense? Andre carter was considered a bust as a 3-4 lb, he wasnt stellar at DE for us, but was way better then as a 3-4. Fletch is a stud 4-3 MLB, rocky was far better in 4-3. and rack is better in a 4-3 DE spot. Yea we have all kinds of picks, but aside from the pats game, if we put up the amount of points we have in many games we have lost this season LAST season we would have won far more. This defense is not good for us. We had a top notch D for years, why fix what isn't broke.

BullDog, Let me try this again WITHOUT the all caps button! (I wrote the entire post in caps!) I like what you say, it was very well thought out and I agree with most of it, however, I think we can make this work. In general we give up few points EXCEPT for this turkey, where we were caught in the headlights of the Eagles. I say give it time. Games like this sometimes happen.

Archived